Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracers

Options
  • 28-04-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, über newbie question!

I was thinking about getting a tracer setup for my Scar. What should I be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hey folks, über newbie question!

I was thinking about getting a tracer setup for my Scar. What should I be looking at?

probably either the G&G or TM tracer, the TM one is very hard to come by as far as i know, the G&G one comes in at about 100 quid but the whole unit is rechargeable instead of changing the batteries

here is the G&G one
    http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&category_id=32&product_id=1088&Itemid=26

here is another one stocked by Begadi (this one is out of stock but Seairsoft might have them here in Ireland in stock, not sure)
    http://begadishop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=407_414_79&products_id=4738

you're going to need to get tracer BB's too. Madbulls are probably the best, but are expensive as they're both madbul and tracers. and a side note (you probably already know this) but i see alot of people not using tracers properly.
    get two speed loaders, one with tracers and one with normal BB's and do four normal BB's and one tracer BB, this way you get the tracer affect while sparing the tracers too, or you can do 3 and one but every pump of loader there's usually 4 so it would make it easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cheers mate - very very informative :)

What say you on the quality of the Red Dragon unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Get the TM one. It's back in stock on Redwolf. It is the best one on the market.

The G&G one is rechargeable. If it runs out, your tracer is gone. The TM one runs on standard batteries which are sold in every garage; you're sorted. The G&G one flashes at you to tell you it's on...on a device that's used for night games...a flashing beacon; epic designing.

The Madbull works fantastic with Madbull BB's, but since the TM one is back in stock, there is no question in my eyes.

PS: Money IS where my mouth is; two are on order - I've been waiting for months for these to be back in stock!

Inari wrote: »
    Get the TM one. It's back in stock on Redwolf. It is the best one on the market.

The G&G one is rechargeable. If it runs out, your tracer is gone. The TM one runs on standard batteries which are sold in every garage; you're sorted. The G&G one flashes at you to tell you it's on...on a device that's used for night games...a flashing beacon; epic designing.

The Madbull works fantastic with Madbull BB's, but since the TM one is back in stock, there is no question in my eyes.

PS: Money IS where my mouth is; two are on order - I've been waiting for months for these to be back in stock!

seeing Kev has once again out done me on asnwering a question go for the TM one :p, I didn't realise they were in stock anywhere :o

They disappeared for so long I had actually lost hope for them. But then, whilst looking for a present for my other half, I saw them :) They had a hundred of them in-stock so you should be grand. But I'd order it soon, cause I've been looking for around 14 months now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

Scar's work with M4 mags don't they?
    Try these:
    http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=&category_id=133&product_id=775&Itemid=26

I've had a couple of these for 2 years now, only changed the battery once, takes a AA, works great with any tracer BB I've used and they hold 130rds so decent capacity. Yer not really goin to be spraying tracers around the place anyway. Not if you don't want to be riddled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

darkslider wrote: »
    Scar's work with M4 mags don't they?
    Try these:
    http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=&category_id=133&product_id=775&Itemid=26

I've had a couple of these for 2 years now, only changed the battery once, takes a AA, works great with any tracer BB I've used and they hold 130rds so decent capacity. Yer not really goin to be spraying tracers around the place anyway. Not if you don't want to be riddled.

Super mate - are they metal and mid caps per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've used the Begadi ones. I bought one for myself and 1 for herself.
    One of them was a Lemon and the folks in seairsoft replaced it for me.

The Begadi ones work fantastic. I've fired on full auto with long bursts
    and they work finest. They are cheap and cheerful.

BUT!!!! they are very delicate, a knock or drop and from looking at the insides
    they dont look like a high quality build. The innerds are plastic so you need to be careful not to over tighten when screwing it onto your barrel.

Not sure if people consider this as expensive or not (Personally I dont)
    http://airsoftguns.ie/bbs-ammunition/328-blaster-tracer-bb-s-020g-3000rds-airsoft-pellets.html

Also for 40-50 Euro you can purchase a tracer hop-up unit where it lights up the BB via an led in the hop up
    chamber. I've only seen M4 style hop up chambers though.
    http://www.madbull.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=239

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Not sure if people consider this as expensive or not (Personally I dont)
    http://airsoftguns.ie/bbs-ammunition/328-blaster-tracer-bb-s-020g-3000rds-airsoft-pellets.html

Nah, €15 for Tracer BB's is not expensive.

One of the biggest pains with Tracer units is finding a good high quality Tracer BB that matches the performance of your regular BB. If they're off spec with each other it defeats the entire purpose of a Tracer unit...except, of course, the fun aspect.

The Begadi tracers are rebranded BigDragon units - they're a grand unit, especially for the money. They're clones of the TM system, they're in no way as well built (but sure the price reflects that), but on an item that won't see much usage you can see why they're popular.

They are what they are...a bit of fun, with some justifiable use :D

@ Bullets: Did you have to buy your missus one as well? I had to buy two TM ones to make sure I get to use it in the first place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

TM tracer is amazing, scope and laser always had them in stock. I normally use the Madbull bbs in it and they work really well, the ASG ones are not to bad either. As for using them, don't mix them! Full mags of tracers all the way. Out of curiosity would the performance not be off using tracers and standard bbs, might be OK using the same brand but imagine using Madbull tracers and King Arms standars bbs, would the hop setting not be different....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Inari wrote: »

@ Bullets: Did you have to buy your missus one as well? I had to buy two TM ones to make sure I get to use it in the first place :D

Bought my own first and when I opened it it had a label with Big Dragon written on it.

My Mrs had no interest in it until I test fired it out the back garden one night
    and it looked cool sooooo..she then wanted one of her own.

there was night games locally planned so I was ordered to get one for the Boss so she could enjoy night games with a tracer unit. Her one was identical to mine but had no label on it and was a dud (only found out on the night) SE airsoft replaced it and that had no big dragon sticker on it but it was obvious it was exactly the same unit.

bullets wrote: »
    My Mrs had no interest in it until I test fired it out the back garden one night
    and it looked cool sooooo..she then wanted one of her own.

At least she has the decency to ask for her own...mine appropriates. She literally holds up my gear and says "Mine?" - I had to preempt her on this one, and when I told her she just smiled and laughed to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

everlast75 wrote: »
    Super mate - are they metal and mid caps per chance?

The casings are metal, and they're 130rd so yea, mid caps. No winder on the bottom. Helps to have a speed loader if you've not already got one, other wise they're a pain in the posterior to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I have the g&g tracer unit which is chargeable. it cost 70 euro through sg airsoft and is incredibly rugged. it simply screws onto the end of the scar or any m4 variant. it has a little green light that flashes when its on, but a little dab with permanent marker or a tiny bit of electrical tape can fix that in a second.

on the charging side if things, a 4 hour charge will get you 2 or 3 skirmishes no problem.

at the last corruption zombie night at vacant cqb site i put 6000 tracer bbs through the silencer and also used it the following Wednesday week night 10 days later without having to recharge the unit.

on ammo, i use the .20 tracer blaster bb sold onsite in bottles of 3000. my baby m4 has a rate of fire of 38bbs per second and i can vouch for the ammo never once jamming in a 6.01 tb barrel or the tracer missing any of the bbs for illumination.

so there you go - i use the ammo same as i would a normal bbs in my midcaps and they cost about 2euro per bottle more than standard white bbs.

for balance of advice - i got my unit through sg airsoft in fairview as have most of the players in vacant as they provide an excellent service and routinely get them in at 70 quid.

at night games in vacant usually half the players would be running the same setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCzANM1Fgo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

to see the unit work its on the above video and that's me playing the belcher zombie character.

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    TM tracer is amazing, scope and laser always had them in stock. I normally use the Madbull bbs in it and they work really well, the ASG ones are not to bad either. As for using them, don't mix them! Full mags of tracers all the way. Out of curiosity would the performance not be off using tracers and standard bbs, might be OK using the same brand but imagine using Madbull tracers and King Arms standars bbs, would the hop setting not be different....

I wouldn't fill an entire mag if i were you, you don't want a continuous illuminuos stream of BB's. tracers work both ways my friend. the hop up shouldn't be much different, if you feel it may be use the same brand BB's, like Madbull tracers and normal madbull ones or normal ASG and tracers ASG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

T4RGET wrote: »
    I wouldn't fill an entire mag if i were you, you don't want a continuous illuminuos stream of BB's. tracers work both ways my friend. the hop up shouldn't be much different, if you feel it may be use the same brand BB's, like Madbull tracers and normal madbull ones or normal ASG and tracers ASG.

I suppose it depends on the site and how you play. i use full mag full as the site is restricted to single and burst fire, generAlly you ouldnt be worried about giving away your position as its only a short burst of light and as its generally a dark site and cqb, people are on the move and not sitting in ambush positions like you might on an outdoor site.

i only use midcaps anyway.

Arkslippy wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the site and how you play. i use full mag full as the site is restricted to single and burst fire, generAlly you ouldnt be worried about giving away your position as its only a short burst of light and as its generally a dark site and cqb, people are on the move and not sitting in ambush positions like you might on an outdoor site.

i only use midcaps anyway.

Oh mids all the way :) think it all depends on your game style, if it's strictly only semi then yes all tracers otherwise the whole point of tracers becomes kind of obsolete :rolleyes:

Advertisement