Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandarin Duck (was - What kind of Duck is this?)

Options
  • 28-04-2012 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi! Picture taken in my garden yesterday, quite tame, does anyone know what kind of Duck he is??

Duck.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I saw him (or simlar) in Blackrock park only last week, what a bird, and he loves bread too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mandarin Duck - a native of the far East of Asia(China, Russia Japan). A non-native introduction to this country(escapes from captive wildfowl collections etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Do you know if they are breeding in the wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mgwhelan wrote: »
    Do you know if they are breeding in the wild?

Not 100% sure on that but I do remember hearing suggestions they were in the Phoenix Park, including the lake in the Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

There is a self-sustaining population of Mandarin Duck in Northern Ireland. They breed in Tollymore forest park and they winter in Newcastle (Co. Down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Have come across a pair in the Tolka Valley a couple of times during the last month.

I bumped into a father and son in the Phoenix Park (Quarry pond) who claimed to be responsible for breeding and releasing non native duck all over the city. They mentioned American Wood Duck & Mandarin Duck released in Blessington Basin, Phoenix Park and Strawberry Beds.

Pretty ducks, but I don't support the releasing of non native species into the wild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I saw a pair on the water in Blessington Basin in Phibsborough last Sunday. The colours on the male are striking ! Blessington Basin is a real hidden gem in the heart of the city. The birdlife there is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

fiacha wrote: »
    Have come across a pair in the Tolka Valley a couple of times during the last month.

I bumped into a father and son in the Phoenix Park (Quarry pond) who claimed to be responsible for breeding and releasing non native duck all over the city. They mentioned American Wood Duck & Mandarin Duck released in Blessington Basin, Phoenix Park and Strawberry Beds.

Pretty ducks, but I don't support the releasing of non native species into the wild.

Effing imbeciles!
    What bleedin planet do they come from?
    Why do they do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder can they interbreed with the local variety of Duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

LordSutch wrote: »
    I wonder can they interbreed with the local variety of Duck?

Sometimes;

In General, they will either
    1) die (starve or freeze)
    2) become established and elbow out native ducks
    or
    3) interbreed with native ducks and wreck the local gene pool.

Releasing ducks like that is mindless ecological vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 raggadolly

I saw a pair of them this morning in Chapelizod!

Advertisement