Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD --- Landscape Architecture Dilemma :/

Options
  • 27-04-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm a Leaving Cert student and have Landscape architecture down on my CAO as my first choice. The UCD website gave good info on course content, description and all of that...BUT I dont do any technical drawing subjects in school, and am really worried this will effect me!!

does anyone know any more info on this degree?? Including job prospects...or anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Just looking at the main website it looks likethey will teach you design techniques in Graphic Communication 1, which has weekly assignments. You may have had an advantage if you had Tech Drawing, but its not essential.

Not sure about the jobs but this https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=67
    is the info they give on it. Some job stuff at the bottom and a mention of the professional exams you can take after to join Irish Landscape Institute.

You can always give them an email about the Tech Drawing and they can probably tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 xxkathrynbxx

Oh yes!! Thanks for that, really settled my nerves!! :) It looks like a fantastic degree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

i hope you arent juust entering cause its low points and seeems easy...bro the courrse is hell!

hours are long ,projects are tedious. as far as ladies are concerned.... i had one girl in my class.

do the course if you have the time and the energy and u have genunine interest in the course!

luckily i switched course in 1st semester.

but i cannot tell you how much i didnt like the course.

But hey its just advice bro. goodluck in your exams :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

brownlad wrote: »

hours are long ,projects are tedious. as far as ladies are concerned.... i had one girl in my class.

Ah you were just an unlucky year, there is usually an even enough mix every year.

Well Im a girl...so I'm sure there's plenty of lads doing it haha...

That's great advise and have takein it all in and I am actually really interested. I was doubting it because of the low points....I read the course details and it really apeals to me!!

anyone doing the course at present!? Or graduated from it!?
    The more brutally honest the better!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Diggin it

I'm a Leaving Cert student and have Landscape architecture down on my CAO as my first choice. The UCD website gave good info on course content, description and all of that...BUT I dont do any technical drawing subjects in school, and am really worried this will effect me!!

does anyone know any more info on this degree?? Including job prospects...or anything??

Hi I am just finished third yr landscape architecture in ucd and going into 4th yr, you should go into the college and talk to someone in the newstead building maybe!! If you like art and making things, great, it's for you it's a lot more than gardening...landscape architecture is about being able to aid (along with other professionals) in and design great liveable open spaces from parks, squares, just about any space outside of a building. And to try bring people and communities together in a good healthy way. Although of I where you I would start learning to draw! It's not really that hard its just starting it iss the hard bit but you will get great enjoyment out of it. You could also have a look at all the cs5 packages photoshop, indesign and so on, one more is google sketchup which you can download for free.
    It probably sounds like a lot but these are all great programmes to have under your belt.
    Not everybody going in has done tech drawing or any other comp programme.

Try the hand drawing first anyhow best of luck it's agreat course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Diggin it

And as an earlier post said the hours are long and lots of stuff to do, if your disorganised and don't like it!!

I have been around Ireland with the course, to Barcelona, Berlin, have worked in Granada Spain with help of ucd and will be returning there this yr.
    Hopeful see you in sept. Kathryn

Diggin it wrote: »
    And as an earlier post said the hours are long and lots of stuff to do, if your disorganised and don't like it!!

I have been around Ireland with the course, to Barcelona, Berlin, have worked in Granada Spain with help of ucd and will be returning there this yr.
    Hopeful see you in sept. Kathryn

Great info...really excited about this course..Thank you so much for all ur help!!! :)

Advertisement