Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Derry driving route request

Options
  • 27-04-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

what's the best route to drive from Dublin to Derry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The fastest way is to use the M1 as far as Ardee and then take the N2 Derry rd all the way to Derry.

You can take the N2 all the way from Dublin, but it will add 20 mins to your journey and involve more traffic.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gsxr1 wrote: »
    The fastest way is to use the M1 as far as Ardee and then take the N2 Derry rd all the way to Derry.

+1 There is a link road (N33) which joins the M1 to the N2, it's signposted on the M1 for Ardee and the N2 (Derry). If you follow the signs for the N2 you will join the N2 north of Ardee so will avoid the town.
    You can take the N2 all the way from Dublin, but it will add 20 mins to your journey and involve more traffic.;)

And it will involve Slane, best avoided.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can also go M1, N53, N2 which I have found to be quicker; although there are roadworks on the N53 which may cause some delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

thanks all for th good advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You could also turn off at Newry and follow the A28 to Aughnacloy A5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Agreed, and just to add make sure and take the Monaghan by-pass as well will save yourself some time there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I know quite a few people (myself included) who do this route regularly find that going via Belfast is now the fastest route.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where To wrote: »
    I know quite a few people (myself included) who do this route regularly find that going via Belfast is now the fastest route.

Belfast as in M1 A1 M1 M2 A6 or Lisburn M1 A1 M1 A4 A5?

Have heard people using both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

MYOB wrote: »
    Belfast as in M1 A1 M1 M2 A6 or Lisburn M1 A1 M1 A4 A5?

Have heard people using both.
    As in M1 A1 M1 M2 A6. Providing you are missing Belfast West-Link at rush hours it invariably gives the quickest journey times. Fuel consumption is another matter however :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just picking this up all these years later to see what's the current best options for Dublin to Derry - N2 or around Belfast and over Lough Neagh seemed to be the two main routes last time round. 

Any good suggestions for someone other than a petrol station to stop for a coffee half way would be great 

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Haven't done this drive recently (but don't believe any significant works have been undertaken on either route to improve them) but for me the best route was always M1 to Ardee and then the N2 all the way to Derry. Although the Belfast route has the slightly better roads, it just always felt it was taking bloody ages.. and then if your passing Belfast close to Rush hour, it can slow you down a good bit.

The N2 has some fairly decent overtaking opportunities along the way, but once you cross the border the A5 is a bit of a sh1tshow... and the only overtaking sections are the ones going up hills but they are rubbish as they are very bendy, and you'll always get some driver overtaking on it at maybe 2-3mph faster than the cars/vans in the slower climbing lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Belfast - Derry has been improved since 2012, so if it was the fastest route then, it should be even faster now.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

It is. The A5 is unpredictable. Bad driving and slow lorries can turn Monaghan to Derry into two hours plus. As Mammy O'Rourke said years ago, "Plus means Extra". As in, how long is a piece of string?

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning towards the N2/A5 route, as we won't be on a tight schedule.

Any suggestions for somewhere to break the journey would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I usually stop here

https://www.facebook.com/IGWTmeetinghouse/

It's between Carrickmacross and Castleblayney, lovely farm shop (their apple tart is to die for) and a decent cafe as well.

Emyvale at the Silverhill Farm shop used to be a great shout on Thursdays and Fridays for a brunch at the Duck Truck - but since the bird flu practically wiped their flock out a few years ago I don't think there's been enough surplus to run the food truck.

Advertisement