Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to complain about dentist?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering what to do and need advice on a situation. I had a big filling done a few months ago (molar) which fell out so I was left with a shell of a tooth. I went back and said it needed to be fixed and he said ok but was grumpy and in a mood and I did not feel the most comfortable because of it. He said he would extract the tooth.

He could not numb the tooth even after 3 attempts in an hour. I still had to have the tooth drilled a bit for concrete to fill the shell temporarily this obviously hurt due to not being fully numb.

I had to go back 2 days later for another attempt to remove the tooth. He struggled to get it out as it was a big tooth. He needed the use of a scalpel, possibly to help get the two parts of tooth out. I think he used some pressure device to break the tooth in two. Eventually he managed to get it out and stitched it up when done.

4 days later, still in a lot of pain and not being able to eat or talk properly I checked as best I could to see how my gum was healing and noticed the lower part inside my cheek is gashed a couple of cm's and was attempted to be stitched. The stitches were hanging of and it was extremely painful. They have actually fallen out now at this point. I was out of work for 2 days with the pain (before I was able to check gum and notice what was so painful still). It is still very sore at moment (a week later). I am angry that he seemed to try and cover up the gash and never told me what he had done. He only said he was putting stitches in GUM after he used scalpel to help get my tooth out. I have to go back now to get the stitches out. He probably thought my cheek would heal and I wouldnt notice. So I have to get whatever stitches in my gum out but I want to make it known how bad his service was. (I should probably not do this before he takes the stitches out :D)

So where do I stand on this and whats the best way to approach this unprofessional behaviour (in my opinion)? Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

OP doesnt sound like you had the best experiance however always remember that the cause was the badly broken molar. If this tooth was fine there would have been no treatment.

Having said that if you want to complain I would first raise the issue with the dentist and see what happens. If you feel strongly about it then complain to the dental council of Ireland. There was not negligence here only post operative and inter operative complications which happen with any surgical procedure. The only issue is the dentists responce.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

So basically what you are saying that it is all because i needed a filling originally and was my fault. The filling lasted a few months only. I paid 120 euro for it but didnt complain i asked for it to be fixed. His attitude was to grudgingly do it.

is it my fault he gashed my cheek and didint mention it to me? he tried to stitch it but made a shoddy job of it. How many times do these complications as you call it happen to patients? I had similar procedure done in dental hospital with a surgical removal and did not have the same problems.

I call it carelessness as I forgot to mention i also got pricked in the tongue with the syringe before the second injection was administered. I dont even know how long it will take for my cheek to heal as the stitches didnt work as they came out. Does anyone here know how long?

No I am trying to help you, but trying to temper the conversation with a little bit of realisation that dental problems are preventable and that the patient needing treatment in the first place is the cause of needing dental work which unfortunately sometimes has complications.

Now it sound like you have some issues you should discuss with the dentist, I would however try and remain calm. I think the real issue is that the dentist in your opinion was not nice to you, which is a valid complaint. If the dentist had dealt with your issues better this complications might not be such an issue.

As I said complain to the Dental Council if the dentist does not give you a responce that your accept.

Your cheek will heal and the problem tooth is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yes, its your fault for giving the dentist work, which he made a boll0x of :rolleyes:

just be grateful u didnt pay him 160 a filling, like i done in dublin city centre few weeks ago. no prices advertised, no idea of costs til lthey handed me the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

To me it doesnt sound like the work of a dentist who is focusing too well on providing a decent service, at the end of the day you are paying good money for a job to be done and should be treated with respect as well as care and attention.

Where I agree complications do happen especially with extractions as the remainder of a tooth and the size of of someones roots can cause real difficulty during and after the extraction, trust me I have been through it a few times, I have big roots.

I have to admit that I have been to enough dentists in my time and there are lot that are only interested in money and where there is an extra bit of work for them that they didnt allow for they dont like dealing with it.

I sympathyse with your issue and would suggest either going back to him to look at it again but if your like me once bitten twice shy go somewhere else through a recommendation of others.

Perhaps there are poeple on here who can recommend a more attentive dentist in your area?

• Advertisement

Mellio wrote: »
    To me it doesnt sound like the work of a dentist who is focusing too well on providing a decent service, at the end of the day you are paying good money for a job to be done and should be treated with respect as well as care and attention.

Nail on the head.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    yes, its your fault for giving the dentist work, which he made a boll0x of :rolleyes:

just be grateful u didnt pay him 160 a filling, like i done in dublin city centre few weeks ago. no prices advertised, no idea of costs til lthey handed me the receipt.

Yes I also feel this is another grey area. Dentists are very much like mechanics where by you dont get told the price until they have done the work at which point it is too late they can charge what they like.

We also have to be better at demanding prices before the work is done, we are far too relaxed before hand and then we moan about it when the price comes in.

before they start any work ask for a price, a decent dentist will confirm the price before work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Mellio wrote: »
    Yes I also feel this is another grey area. Dentists are very much like mechanics where by you dont get told the price until they have done the work at which point it is too late they can charge what they like.

We also have to be better at demanding prices before the work is done, we are far too relaxed before hand and then we moan about it when the price comes in.

before they start any work ask for a price, a decent dentist will confirm the price before work is done.

Irish Dental Council code of practice states that prices should be available to see before all treatment..

http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/choosingyourdentist.php

yes,i heard this from lads in work, but shouldnt they have a sign up somewhere? i shouldnt have to ask how much their fillings generally cost.

their website doesnt even advertise prices. ive had a toothache in one of the teeth he filled more or less since he done it, wont be going back to him again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Is it against Boards rules to name and shame the dentist? Or even to imply who it was so that other people don't have the same misfortune and suffering that the OP did? I for one would like to avoid this dentist!

• Advertisement

yes,i heard this from lads in work, but shouldnt they have a sign up somewhere? i shouldnt have to ask how much their fillings generally cost.

their website doesnt even advertise prices. ive had a toothache in one of the teeth he filled more or less since he done it, wont be going back to him again though.

Price list should be on display in the waiting area to read before treatment. A dentist should also quote for treatment before the treatment starts.....

Davyhal wrote: »
    Is it against Boards rules to name and shame the dentist? Or even to imply who it was so that other people don't have the same misfortune and suffering that the OP did? I for one would like to avoid this dentist!

Sorry, against forum rules to name specific dentists or clinics... PM only

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Davyhal wrote: »

Yes. But the same applies to a wonderful dentist.
    No names at all I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Yes. But the same applies to a wonderful dentist.
    No names at all I'm afraid.

Is it against the rules to recommend a business/dentist??? That doesnt make sense. (Not that Im questioning you...I think iv made hundreds of recommendations (not specifically dentists though) :eek:)

I have an urge to recommend my latest dentist though,the previous 5 all gave me chest paints from stress.lol. (No bad dentistry - just personally comfort) ..The recent one used a rubber band thing when working on my fillings which was just marvellous - no choking on my own spit :-) . PM if anyone wants his name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Is it against the rules to recommend a business/dentist??? That doesnt make sense. (Not that Im questioning you...I think iv made hundreds of recommendations (not specifically dentists though) :eek:)

I have an urge to recommend my latest dentist though,the previous 5 all gave me chest paints from stress.lol. (No bad dentistry - just personally comfort) ..The recent one used a rubber band thing when working on my fillings which was just marvellous - no choking on my own spit :-) . PM if anyone wants his name.

No just dentists, unfortunately if one butchers you and you've got a recommendation from Boards(even a glowing one) the legal letters may start flying.

PM is fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

[QUOTE no prices advertised, no idea of costs til lthey handed me the receipt.[/QUOTE]

As previously stated, Irish Dental Council have issued a Code of Practice re displaying fees, and all practices should have a list of fees visible to patients.
    If you don't see one, ask where it is.
    For any service (meals out, weekly grocery shop, GP visits, medical procedures), I either know, or if I don't know then I find out, the price beforehand.....pointless being shocked/surprised afterwards....just ask, it's your money you're handing over.

thats all well and good knowing that theres a code of practice afterwards, my friend had 2 fillings down the road the day ebfore and paid 90e per filling, so i was expecting the going rate to be around the same.

hindsights a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Minatauro wrote: »
    Hi,
    So where do I stand on this and whats the best way to approach this unprofessional behaviour (in my opinion)? Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I assume you would like an apology from the dentist. Raise your complaint with the dentist first. He may accept that his behaviour was unprofessional and apologise. You may just have caught him on a bad day. At least give him the opportunity to respond. If you’re not happy with his response, there is an alternative dispute resolution system being set up for handling dental complaints. I would avail of this if possible before complaining to the Dental Council. http://www.dentalcomplaints.ie/If no satisfaction at this point, then complain to the Dental Council. However bear in mind that the Dental Council has fairly limited powers under the legislation and can only take action against a dentist for professional misconduct. While professional misconduct isn’t strictly defined, the dentist would have needed to do something fairly serious that no other dentist would have done in the circumstances. Poor patient manner wouldn’t constitute professional misconduct. That being said, it’s probably an inconvenience for the dentist if they have to respond to correspondence from the Dental Council. info@dentalcouncil.ie Obviously if you complain to your dentist and he pays you no notice, take Mellio’s advice seek out a new one. There are probably some good dentists out there a bit more deserving of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

thats all well and good knowing that theres a code of practice afterwards, my friend had 2 fillings down the road the day ebfore and paid 90e per filling, so i was expecting the going rate to be around the same.

hindsights a great thing

Just on that point, usually dentists have a price range for fillings and this varies depending on the type of filling i.e. composite/amalgam, and the size of the filling and time it will take to the dentist to do the work. The dentist just has to have the fee range displayed. The work your friend had done may not be equivalent to the work you had done.While the dentist should have had the fees displayed, it is up to you to be aware of your rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

As an aside , as a kid I had a horrific experience when a dentist took out a load of my teeth. I was terrified, got sick with blood everywhere. The dentist screamed at my mother at the mess I made. It left an indelible mark with me re dentists for years to come.
    The same denstist was purchasing a house at the time using my father being a solicitor to do the transaction. On hearing of the events what happened he called the dentist and told him his files were available for collection at reception and to find another solicitor.. I think it screwed the purchase up for this guy, he was a well known butcher we heard in the locality. Many years later I was horrified he was still in practice in the same area!

Sorry, couldn't resist to relay this story.

• Advertisement

lexa wrote: »
    Just on that point, usually dentists have a price range for fillings and this varies depending on the type of filling i.e. composite/amalgam, and the size of the filling and time it will take to the dentist to do the work. The dentist just has to have the fee range displayed. The work your friend had done may not be equivalent to the work you had done.While the dentist should have had the fees displayed, it is up to you to be aware of your rights.

Yes, have to agree with this that from experience the dentists generally do show prices in there receptions however the word 'from' €80 for a filling gives them free range to extend the price without discussion and as suggested by lexa would depend on the size of the filling and type of filling you require(White or Silver).White being more expensive.

This is why I say you should discuss the price with the dentist before he/she does the work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Bearcat wrote: »
    As an aside , as a kid I had a horrific experience when a dentist took out a load of my teeth. I was terrified, got sick with blood everywhere. The dentist screamed at my mother at the mess I made. It left an indelible mark with me re dentists for years to come.

Very unprofessional of the dentist, & undoubtedly a highly - and completely preventable- traumatic experience for you as a child.
    Be sure to look after your own childrens' teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

differnt era boss.....my kids dentist is brill, charges like a wounded bull but i see straight teeth

Bearcat wrote: »
    differnt era boss.....my kids dentist is brill, charges like a wounded bull but i see straight teeth

I'll use that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrs moneynot

Gawd what an awful situation!
    I tried leaving a review on a local doctor on what clinic.com you could try that but be warned that they send your telephone number and name onto the dentist so that they can review your review!!!!! Isn't that crazy?
    I only realised that after I sent the review giving 1/10 for satisfaction!!! Eeeeek! I hope they don't ring me!!:(
    Anyway you could try that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Gawd what an awful situation!
    I tried leaving a review on a local doctor on what clinic.com you could try that but be warned that they send your telephone number and name onto the dentist so that they can review your review!!!!! Isn't that crazy?
    I only realised that after I sent the review giving 1/10 for satisfaction!!! Eeeeek! I hope they don't ring me!!:(
    Anyway you could try that site.

For the umpteenth time..........
    people are always advised to use word of mouth to find a dentist. going onto these website rackets are a waste of time and effort. fair enough you think the dentist's sh1te....move on elsewhere like any other service.
    i work in a town with 3 other dentists. patients moan about one guys manner. but his work is top class-patients, dont see that tho:rolleyes: another dentist is hopeless, missing cavities fillings falling out etc.....the patients think she's gr8;)

as regards complaining a dentist, give it a day for the red mist to disperse, contact the dentist. if that doesn't satisfy contact the dental council. end of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

went to a dentist ***mod edit**** it was a dreadful experience i wouldnt advise him,complete A*****,he wanted to extract three teeth,i went to another dentist and he said i didnt need any..moneygrabbers

The vast majority of dentists would charge less for an extraction that they would a filling..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

oh ya their cheaper but very painful!!!!:eek: i just hate the whole thing..actually have to go to a dentist soon enough,keep putting it off though..i got decay on the sides of my teeth just at the gumline,two in total,as im a total dentophobe im travelling all the way to newry co.down to get them done as they use anaesthetic and gas its a dental clinic that deals with people who have the fear like me

• Advertisement

went to a dentist in ellen street in limerick across from the sex shop it was a dreadful experience i wouldnt advise him,complete A*****,he wanted to extract three teeth,i went to another dentist and he said i didnt need any..moneygrabbers
    oh ya their cheaper but very painful!!!!:eek: i just hate the whole thing..actually have to go to a dentist soon enough,keep putting it off though..i got decay on the sides of my teeth just at the gumline,two in total,as im a total dentophobe im travelling all the way to newry co.down to get them done as they use anaesthetic and gas its a dental clinic that deals with people who have the fear like me

Did you got to a dentist or not?
    You can get IV Sedation down South.

The problem is christmas, because you're terrified of the dentist any problems you have you put on the long finger, which means that when the pain/issue becomes unbearable, the treatment is more complex, expensive and generally less pleasant for you which presuming all dentists are equal will give you a bad impression dentists in general.

Advertisement