Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Summer Work In Germany

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I know a couple of other people have similiar threads but I have a few questions of my own with regards student work in Germany. I'm currently a first year student studying Commerce and German but I really want to improve my German a bit before I go to university there in a couple of years time. I know it's too late to look for summer work there for 2012 but I'd really like a few pointers now so that I can be as prepared as possible for summer 2013.

I would say my German is a little rusty but overall, not too bad and I'm really willing to work in any setting at all. I'd like to go to Munich if I could or Frankfurt but only for 2 months max....will anywhere take me for such a short amount of time?

I've been looking up summer camps and also came across "Happy Hands" working holidays website...has anybody had any experience with these?

Thanks for any info you might have! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hildago wrote: »
    I know a couple of other people have similiar threads but I have a few questions of my own with regards student work in Germany. I'm currently a first year student studying Commerce and German but I really want to improve my German a bit before I go to university there in a couple of years time. I know it's too late to look for summer work there for 2012 but I'd really like a few pointers now so that I can be as prepared as possible for summer 2013.

I would say my German is a little rusty but overall, not too bad and I'm really willing to work in any setting at all. I'd like to go to Munich if I could or Frankfurt but only for 2 months max....will anywhere take me for such a short amount of time?

I've been looking up summer camps and also came across "Happy Hands" working holidays website...has anybody had any experience with these?

Thanks for any info you might have! :)

I personally don't think it's too late for this summer,I suppose if you've already made plans then it can't be helped but anyway my best advice would go with a friend and find accomodation somewhere.Then go into cafés,bars,shops,etc introduce yourself,be polite etc and you should pick up something.Regarding the whole 2 months thing,your best bet would literally hand in your notice the week before you leave but don't mention that you're going to leave when you start!

If your willing to work hard labour for long hours then there's numerous agencies.Bear in mind that I've known people who've had bad experiences but on the other hand others who had a positive experience were completely exposed to only german and had accomodation etc sorted when they arrived.

Regarding the cities,I would choose Frankfurt over Munich all day along.Munich is a lovely city but I found it too expensive for students anyway and the dialect there isn't favourable if your learning Hochdeutsch,however,this is my personal experience.Personally I found the Rheinland region to be the best,eg Dusseldorf,Koeln,Bonn etc because there all within close proximity of each other,prices were generally reasonable and the dialect was very clear.

Advertisement