Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone line + broadband

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

A friend of mine asked me to investigate this. She is currently on 3 mobile broadband but its unreliable and slow and contract nearly expired.

She wants me to find out what the cheapest way to get proper broadband in
    her house.

There isn't an existing phone line in the house and its a fairly new house, < 10 years old.

I have a look at the website and the cheapest bundle is €40 for 6 months and €45 per month after.

I tried the "Build your own bundle" and thought 3MB looked good @ €30.49 but it forced you to pick a bundle as well.

Is there any way of getting fixed line broadband and a new phone line without having to take the "phone line" or call bundle on it?

Why is the eircom site so confusing and convoluted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

stdm wrote: »
    Hi,

A friend of mine asked me to investigate this. She is currently on 3 mobile broadband but its unreliable and slow and contract nearly expired.

She wants me to find out what the cheapest way to get proper broadband in
    her house.

There isn't an existing phone line in the house and its a fairly new house, < 10 years old.

I have a look at the website and the cheapest bundle is €40 for 6 months and €45 per month after.

I tried the "Build your own bundle" and thought 3MB looked good @ €30.49 but it forced you to pick a bundle as well.

Is there any way of getting fixed line broadband and a new phone line without having to take the "phone line" or call bundle on it?

Why is the eircom site so confusing and convoluted?

Thanks.

Thank you stdm,

I appreciate what you say. eircom however require that you have a fixed phoneline in order to avail of their Adsl broadband product. A phoneline does require phone rental.

eircom's only other form of broadband is data mobile broadband (for e.g: e-Mobile).

At present eircom offer a free promotion for a new phoneline (standard lead time is 5 working days for your phoneline and 5 added days if you require broadband as well).

eircom have designed their new product range (phoneline & broadband) around the concept of including line rental in the bundle package.

Therefore, line rental, which costs €25.78 including VAT, will be included in your package if you decide to opt for one of their bundle broadband /phoneline packages.

So for example, if you choose a package, which costs approx' €40, then this will include (1) phoneline rental (ii) a phone package discount package (iii) plus fixed broadband. All this will be included in your package.

Even if don't avail of your free phone off-peak or Peak calls, this will work out much cheaper in the end.

If you decided to just choose braodband without a package, then you will still have to pay for line rental, plus a standalone broadband package of approx' €25. This would work out dearer and you would not avail of the added phone calls.

To summarize, I would suggest that you take up the offer a new free phoneline offer. You might then choose a bundle that includes: your line rental, a phone package and a fixed broadband package:

My advice would be to call directly into Broadband Sales and initiate your phone and broadband. If you have any further questions, the Sales team will advise you.

Ask them if you can take advantage of ordering online and availing of further savings of your first bill as indicated here - eircom Broadband Bundles

Broadband Sales - 1800503303 - freefone

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stdm

Thanks for the info.
    I tried to walk her through ordering the €40 bundle online but her address is showing as being outside Area and redirecting to manually choose. Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks for the info.
    I tried to walk her through ordering the €40 bundle online but her address is showing as being outside Area and redirecting to manually choose. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Hi stdm,

If you would like to PM me with your friends full address I can look into the broadband query for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Thanks for the info.
    I tried to walk her through ordering the €40 bundle online but her address is showing as being outside Area

You should also be aware that over 270 Exchanges were never broadband enabled by Eircom including Exchanges in the major cities. You will need to find out whether there is any fixed line broadband available in your area before ordering a bundle that Eircom can't deliver. Eircom is refusing to publish a list of the Exchanges that were not enabled and has shut down it's broadband rollout website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

regress wrote: »
    You should also be aware that over 270 Exchanges were never broadband enabled by Eircom including Exchanges in the major cities. You will need to find out whether there is any fixed line broadband available in your area before ordering a bundle that Eircom can't deliver. Eircom is refusing to publish a list of the Exchanges that were not enabled and has shut down it's broadband rollout website.

Hi regress,

Just to address this for you, we have sent a request for a list we can publish on the forum. As you can imagine we have to get the all clear to post internal information in the public. See this post to another user regarding the same question on the 10th May. I understand that people are waiting on this information but we have to follow correct process when publishing any internal communications. You are correct though in advising customers to check availability in the area, we'd be happy to give a general idea of speed/availability for anyone looking to connect to the network.

Regards

James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Just to address this for you, we have sent a request for a list we can publish on the forum. As you can imagine we have to get the all clear to post internal information in the public.

But why is the full lust of non enabled Exchanges confidential and internal information. Is it because it includes Exchanges that Eircom promised to enable years ago but which have now been abandonded. There are examples on this forum from posters who signed up on website for bundles only to find out months later after phone line had been connected that they were serviced by a non enabled Exchange.

Given the amount of public money that Eircom has received there is no excuse for Eircoms rwfulal to provide a comprehensive list of the hundreds of non enabled Exchanges

This would also be useful for foreign investors who might like to cancel plans to move to a particular area when they realise the extent of the unavailability of fixed line broadband in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

regress wrote: »
    But why is the full lust of non enabled Exchanges confidential and internal information. Is it because it includes Exchanges that Eircom promised to enable years ago but which have now been abandonded. There are examples on this forum from posters who signed up on website for bundles only to find out months later after phone line had been connected that they were serviced by a non enabled Exchange.

Given the amount of public money that Eircom has received there is no excuse for Eircoms rwfulal to provide a comprehensive list of the hundreds of non enabled Exchanges

This would also be useful for foreign investors who might like to cancel plans to move to a particular area when they realise the extent of the unavailability of fixed line broadband in Ireland.

Hi regress,

I understand what you're saying here but, as mentioned above, it's not a refusal to post the information. We need to get the all clear as to what we can post on a public forum. We will post an update to the thread that was already created on this issue as soon as we can. See here.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Holla23

I would suggest that you take up the offer a new free phoneline offer.

Hi,

Is the new free phoneline offer still available?

We have moved into a new house with no phone line and we require broadband so am looking into the possibilities out there. Was with Eircom in the previous house we were in but line was over 20 years old so max we could get was 2MB.

Checked with support and the neighbours beside our new house can get 2MB/3MB but their houses are around 4 years old and I would have thought we could at least get 8MB if not 24MB. Heard on the grapevine that the area was being upgraded to a 100MB line but could be hearsay.

Was told by Support that I'd have to sign up for a 12 month phone line contract just to find out what my new line would take but surely there is some other way? Don't see the point in paying for a line if I cant get sufficient Broadband for it...

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Holla23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is the new free phoneline offer still available?

We have moved into a new house with no phone line and we require broadband so am looking into the possibilities out there. Was with Eircom in the previous house we were in but line was over 20 years old so max we could get was 2MB.

Checked with support and the neighbours beside our new house can get 2MB/3MB but their houses are around 4 years old and I would have thought we could at least get 8MB if not 24MB. Heard on the grapevine that the area was being upgraded to a 100MB line but could be hearsay.

Was told by Support that I'd have to sign up for a 12 month phone line contract just to find out what my new line would take but surely there is some other way? Don't see the point in paying for a line if I cant get sufficient Broadband for it...

Cheers.

Hi Holla23,

Thanks for your post.

To answer your query. Yes the promotion to install or activate a new phone line is still available. Like all new installations it is subject to a 12 months eircom contract.

If you order broadband at the same time as your phoneline, then this will also come under the same contract. Your phoneline would then need to be tested first at your exchange for braodband suitability. Afterwards, engineers will check to see what your speed your broadband pre-qualifies for.

If your neighbours are able to avail of fixed-line broadband, then it is likely that you're in a broadband enabled area. Our sales team can check this and advise you on the most suitable broadband package.

Of course, if your phoneline is not suitable for fixed-line Adsl, then the broadband order would be rejected. There is also a cool off period of 7 days from when the order is placed, so you will have have the option to go ahead when you sign up.

Please private message your home address details, and I will check this for you.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement