Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton & Waterford to Sandymount

Options
  • 26-04-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4514&p=116&n=237

I see that IR will be running a service from Midleton and Waterford via PPT to Sandymount for the Eucharistic congress at the RDS. These trains will converge on the Connolly area at peak, but IR must feel that these extra services (1 x ex Waterford tues 12 June, 1x ex Midleton weds 13) and paths etc are available for such trains to operate without too much of an issue on existing services.

Knowing that paths (at least 1x in am and likely at least 1x in pm) are available for Heuston side trains, is it time to consider running a Kildare / newbridge service through to bray in the am and return in pm? With a plethora of available 22k rolling stock such a service - arrival Heuston platform 10 @ eg 8.30, Connolly 8.50 and dun Laoghaire 9.20 - could get a lot of people out of their cars!!

It could run as a 6 or 9 piece 22k for arguments sake and stop at select stations ... Eg all stations to Heuston p10, Drumcondra, Connolly, Pearce, gcd, SP etc .

Would a 9 piece 22k fit onto current dart / commuter platforms ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

Millem wrote: »

I see that IR will be running a service from Midleton and Waterford via PPT to Sandymount for the Eucharistic congress at the RDS. These trains will converge on the Connolly area at peak, but IR must feel that these extra services (1 x ex Waterford tues 12 June, 1x ex Midleton weds 13) and paths etc are available for such trains to operate without too much of an issue on existing services.

Knowing that paths (at least 1x in am and likely at least 1x in pm) are available for Heuston side trains, is it time to consider running a Kildare / newbridge service through to bray in the am and return in pm? With a plethora of available 22k rolling stock such a service - arrival Heuston platform 10 @ eg 8.30, Connolly 8.50 and dun Laoghaire 9.20 - could get a lot of people out of their cars!!

It could run as a 6 or 9 piece 22k for arguments sake and stop at select stations ... Eg all stations to Heuston p10, Drumcondra, Connolly, Pearce, gcd, SP etc .

Cheers !

It would be useful but wait for the naysayers to come barging in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Millem wrote: »

Cheers !

I cant remember off the top of my head but there is one direction in which you cannot stop at platform 10. Not that you would want to be dropped off there anyway it is a long walk to the station.

Secondly I am not sure such a path exists if you were to allow for station stops. The path as outlined above would certainly not work (There is already a 08:50 departure from Connolly). As best I can tell the train will follow the DART that departs Connolly at 09:10 and before the 09:26 and the earliest you could arrive in Dun Laoghaire would be 09:35.

Should trains go from Kildare through to Bray, yes. But I would not be convinced that a service operating at such times would be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

This would be a great idea...even an earlier service that could get you to Grand Canal/Sandymount before 9. It doesn't even need to stop at Connolly, keep going to Tara or Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I cant remember off the top of my head but there is one direction in which you cannot stop at platform 10. Not that you would want to be dropped off there anyway it is a long walk to the station.

I think that trains coming from Connolly can only stop at plt 10 and ones going to connolly can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

These trains are for priests, not taxpayers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

dowlingm wrote: »
    These trains are for priests, not taxpayers.
    They still have enough influence to get the RDS branch rebuilt if they wanted it, right...? :p

Advertisement