Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Showroom visit - Model S [long + large photos]

Options
  • 26-04-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

While I may not be an advocate of EV's, I can appreciate the technology and design (in some of them ;)). So while on Santana Row in San Jose last week I visited the Tesla Showroom, which had the "beta" of the Model S on display.

First thing to notice about Tesla (aside from using the term "beta" vs demo/prototype) is they clearly aim to do things quite different to most car companies, for example their showrooms are small, super flash and surrounded by upscale clothes shops, but they didnt go OTT on the green thing:
    IMG_0367_900x672.jpg
    th_IMG_0348_900x672.jpgth_IMG_0347_900x672.jpg
    Inside they had the Model S car, its basic platform (showing its purpose built EV, unique platform etc) and 2 walls with car configurator (pick your own materials):
    IMG_0356_900x672.jpgIMG_0355_900x672.jpg
    th_IMG_0351_900x672.jpgth_IMG_0353_900x672.jpgth_IMG_0358_900x672.jpgth_IMG_0362_900x672.jpgth_IMG_0350_900x672.jpg

Interior was nice and boot (has front and rear) seemed large, check out the massive touch screen:
    IMG_0361_900x672.jpg

Promo shot of what it looks like without lots of Americans hanging out of it (showroom was getting constant stream of upscale types expressing interest):
    a614tesla-model-s-0.jpg
    In person it looked like a slightly smaller Maserati GT, which is to say, looks great.
    • Model S Specs
    • Sales rep said offered in 160, 230 and 300 mile battery configurations (guess the 100mile version was dropped?)
    • 5.6sec to 60mph, approx 360bhp (performance version is 4.4sec to 60)
    • Smaller battery = lower range and lower performance, a different dynamic to ICE entirely
    • Compares to BMW 535i (similar size and performance) but claims to save $8000 over 5years in fueling costs
    • Like BMWs its got a 50/50 weight distribution and RWD.
    • Charging port completely is hidden behind pivoting tail light (rear left)
    • Designed and Built in California
    • Standard wheel size = 19" !
    • 3 Charger options (supports 110v and 220v, unusual for US):
    • - Single Charger = 31miles range per hour charging time
    • - Twin High Power Charger = 62miles range per hour charging time
    • - "Supercharger" = 160miles per 30min charging!
    • - All models have adjustable Air Suspension, standard LCD screens, seats seven (2 in "trunk" facing backwards), performance wheels etc.
    • 8year 100k mile battery warranty
    • 5 star safety rating
    • Price:
    • From $49k (160mile range version) to $89k (Performance S 300mile range version).

So.. rather good pricing, looks great, even the minimum entry spec offers vastly greater range, size and performance than nearly all "regular" big marque EVs and most importantly (this is a car forum..) has the performance to back it all up. Its top speed of 125mph is rather tame (lame?) by Autobahn standards but for most people this thing is fast.

Listening to the crowd, people really were getting psyched about it, it just ticks so many boxes for so many people. I was.. impressed. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Interior was nice and boot (has front and rear) seemed large, check out the massive touch screen:

I'm normally a big fan of toys in cars and having tv/sat nav etc, but from the photo that looks way to big and gaudy .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Best of luck to anyone who buys one and brings it to a Midway meet :pac:

Great review Alan! The only thing I wouldn't like about it is being a passenger having to face backwards. I can't even do that on a train without feeling sick :(

It looks like a Maserati crossed with an Aston. Beautiful car IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its an absolutely beautiful car, personally I'd never use the 6th & 7th seats though. Their model x mini-SUV-type thing, coming out 2013/14 looks fantastic as well.

tesla-model-x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

89K dollars.

With exchange rate.... Low VRT. + VAT + shipping. What would that come to and how many people do I have to murder to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Dartz wrote: »
    89K dollars.

With exchange rate.... Low VRT. + VAT + shipping. What would that come to and how many people do I have to murder to get it?

The starting price in the uk is £30,000 for the signature model with 300-mile battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Was in there 2 weeks ago, I liked the chassis as the back of the show room, thought that was cool, the model s was a decent car, better looking than a leaf or the Renault ev cars, but it's no roadster, too bad they have discontinued it, one of the sales guys had one parked in the carpark around the corner, it was perdy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Was in there 2 weeks ago, I liked the chassis as the back of the show room, thought that was cool, the model s was a decent car, better looking than a leaf or the Renault ev cars, but it's no roadster, too bad they have discontinued it, one of the sales guys had one parked in the carpark around the corner, it was perdy

Im more interested in this than the Roadster. This is more relevant to the market, has its own identity and is effectively a generation ahead of the Roadster. While I get they needed it to make a splash and it was a game changer, a Lotus Elise with an Electric engine just doesnt impress me as much. Its also like twice the price!

Advertisement