Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B or EB licence?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Very confuse on this.

Have a B licence since 1999, don't have a EB licence

According to the RSA.ie - Technical Trailer Requirements

For O1 Trailers
    If you have an ordinary Category B licence, you may:
    • Tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to 8 passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.

For O2 Trailers

O2 Trailers have a DGVW exceeding 0.75 tonnes and not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
    Trailers in Categories O1 and O2 are light duty trailers such as car trailers, horseboxes, trailer caravans, boat trailers, etc

• Tow an O2 trailer, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes..

Does this mean l can drive a 4x4 jeep with a double wheel trailer carrying up to 8 sheep or should l have an EB licence?

If you have a Category EB licence, you may:
    • Tow an O2 trailer, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to 8 passengers (apart from the driver), provided that the GVW of the trailer does not exceed the manufacturer’s rated towing capacity for the towing vehicle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

katy67 wrote: »
    Very confuse on this.

Have a B licence since 1999, don't have a EB licence

According to the RSA.ie - Technical Trailer Requirements

For O1 Trailers
    • Tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to 8 passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.

For O2 Trailers

O2 Trailers have a DGVW exceeding 0.75 tonnes and not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
    Trailers in Categories O1 and O2 are light duty trailers such as car trailers, horseboxes, trailer caravans, boat trailers, etc

• Tow an O2 trailer, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes..

Does this mean l can drive a 4x4 jeep with a double wheel trailer carrying up to 8 sheep or should l have an EB licence?

If you have a Category EB licence, you may:
    • Tow an O2 trailer, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to 8 passengers (apart from the driver), provided that the GVW of the trailer does not exceed the manufacturer’s rated towing capacity for the towing vehicle.

With a B licence the fully loaded trailer cannot exceed 750kg
    I've no idea what 8 sheep would weigh? Say it's 400kg.
    That would mean that the 4 wheeled trailer would need to weigh 350kg or less..
    I'd guess that an 8*5 twin axel trailer weighs in at about 500kg..

In short I'd say you need an EB licence

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

bbam wrote: »

In short I'd say you need an EB licence

I don't think you are correct. From my reading of the text a B licence should be fine in this situation.

The relevant passage of text is this...
    So the two conditions are that:
    (i) The DGVW of the trailer does not weigh more than the jeep. Let's say the jeep weighs roughly 2 tonnes - the trailer will be well under that weight.
    (ii) The combined gross weight of the jeep and trailer doesn't exceed 3.5 tonnes. Again, I don't think a jeep and twin-axle trailer will come near that weight.

I think you're safe enough with a B licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Micheal H wrote: »
    I don't think you are correct. From my reading of the text a B licence should be fine in this situation.

The relevant passage of text is this...

So the two conditions are that:
    (i) The DGVW of the trailer does not weigh more than the jeep. Let's say the jeep weighs roughly 2 tonnes - the trailer will be well under that weight.
    (ii) The combined gross weight of the jeep and trailer doesn't exceed 3.5 tonnes. Again, I don't think a jeep and twin-axle trailer will come near that weight.

I think you're safe enough with a B licence.

Re reading it properly you are right indeed, sorry.

Advertisement