Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am getting inked on saturday...beforehand tips?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

coming aboard to join all the bad asses over here :D

going to Snakebite's Sean for a small ankle piece.
    this is my first tattoo and i'm soooooo excited but sort of sh**ing it too :eek:

it's gonna hurt, isn't it?
    any tips for beforehand, like using a skin numbing cream or is that a no-no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

coming aboard to join all the bad asses over here :D

going to Snakebite's Sean for a small ankle piece.
    this is my first tattoo and i'm soooooo excited but sort of sh**ing it too :eek:

it's gonna hurt, isn't it?
    any tips for beforehand, like using a skin numbing cream or is that a no-no?

It's not THAT bad. Get a good breakfast in, have a good solid sleep the night before and don't worry. Afterwards, you'll wonder why you worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Pre-congrats.

Sean is a sound bloke, you wont have any problems. The ankle could hurt. Each person is different when it comes to pain, but generally speaking, with the skin being thinner around the ankle area, it is more likely to hurt than say, your upper arm.

Pre ink tips? Dont drink. Have something to eat. Bring something to drink, Lucozade or water. No creams, as the area will be shaved first and an antiseptic lotion applied.

Try to enjoy the experience. And don't forget, if you feel uncormfortable in anyway what-so-ever, say it to him. Artists want you to be comfortable, they wont mind stopping.

So, again, congrats and enjoy. Try to relax. Bring a friend. And post a pic when your all done.

Best of luck.

Yep good brekkie, no alcohol the night before and two nurofen half an hour before your appointment. It's gonna hurt a bit but you'll be grand :D

Don't forget to post pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

thanks guys and gals.
    i am getting two small, shaded butterflies, linked by a green stem, to represent my babies, one now 6 years old and the other in heaven.
    have done the whole labour and childbirth thing, so reckon, i'll cope ok.that's what am telling myself anyway.

i'll defo post up pix.

am gonna feel so bad-ass afterwards. can't wait.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭NTC

best of luck, and love the idea.

don't forget o show us yours when it is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

two nurofen half an hour before your appointment.
    is nurofen different to other pain killer tabs in that it doesn't thin out the blood?

Don't take panadol or other standard tablets anyway as it will actually work against you.

best advise is to be well rested and well fed going in and have something like lucozade there to sip on. An ankle tattoo will most likely be small so fatigue shouldn't be an issue, it will be tender though as the skin in the area wont have much flesh on it.

is nurofen different to other pain killer tabs in that it doesn't thin out the blood?

No, that's aspirin. And paracetamol would not in any way "work against you" but we're creeping into medical advice territory here so OP don't take anything without speaking to a pharmacist or GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Have a sober night on Friday!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yep good brekkie, no alcohol the night before and two nurofen half an hour before your appointment. It's gonna hurt a bit but you'll be grand :D

Don't forget to post pics!

Did you find nurofen helped when getting the tattoo personally? Never even considered that or thought of it to be honest im curious now :).

Did you find nurofen helped when getting the tattoo personally? Never even considered that or thought of it to be honest im curious now :).

Yeh it helps, if you're getting major work done then not much point, but for a couple of butterflies on your ankle it's worth it :)

(also helps with bikini waxing ;)),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh it helps, if you're getting major work done then not much point, but for a couple of butterflies on your ankle it's worth it :)

(also helps with bikini waxing ;)),

Cheers might have to put it to the test if im ever going in for a short sitting :).

(the joys of being a man mean bikini waxing arent an issue for me ;):p)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

and man, it is such a great feeling.
    i feel like a bad ass girl :D

interesting reactions to it. it runs along my foot and up my leg. those i thought would love it are a bit, 'umm, huh?' and those i thought would hate it are 'wow' so that's been a bit of an eye opener as has the stares from randomers on the street/bus/shops.

ok, so it has ended up bigger than initially planned. 2.5 hours worth. but am glad. Sean in Snakebite was great. am 2 weeks in to the healing process now, am calling in tomorrow to get it checked and will post up my pic then.

on a practical level, did it hurt? yep, a little, sometimes a lot. i'd compare it to sunburn or laser treatment. sometimes i'd be half zoned out, sometimes biting my fingers (bit like labour that one). was very tender on top of the foot and around the ankle bone. no painkillers needed beforehand or afterwards (yeah, labour had me well trained) and god bless the Bepanthen.

;)

Advertisement