Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Hotel for the weekend.

Options
  • 26-04-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Can you recommend a nice Hotel 2 Adults 1 teen in or close to Killkenny town for the June bank hol.

3-4 * we will be going in to the town for the craic but would like the hotel to have a pool, good bar, good restaurant, something to do.

Haven't stayed in the town before so any ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I would say if you want all that to and to be right in the centre of things your best bet is the rivercourt.

If you want to be somewhere that will be a bit quieter in the nightime and more relaxed during the day, then either the Newpark or Hotel Kilkenny are the one to go to.

All 3 have lovely pools,
    The Rivercourt is the place to be on a warm day sitting beside the river and all the good bars are within walking distance as are loads of restaurants and obviously the Rivercourts own food, they usually do BBQ on a warm day outdoors too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Thanks L.D.

Had to jump on this as I found out it's the Cat's Laugh weekend, nearly everywhere booked out (Family room) already.

Had looked at the 3 you suggested, Rivercourt doesn't do extra beds in rooms for kids,:confused: Newpark is booked out,:( so guess where I'm staying.:)

It's a bit out of town but we will be driving day time and a wobbly walk home can be fun.

The Kilford Arms bar looks great might give it a lash.

Any restaurants or bars you would recommend as you were spot on with the Hotels?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The Kilford has the unusual distinction of being both the cheapest AND the nicest hotel in Kilkenny.

As for Robitusin at the bar. Tell him Fabby sent you ;)

nudger wrote: »
    So guess where I'm staying.:)

It's a bit out of town but we will be driving day time and a wobbly walk home can be fun.

The Kilford Arms bar looks great might give it a lash.

Any restaurants or bars you would recommend as you were spot on with the Hotels?

You will be setup in Hotel Kilkenny anyway, it is really nice and the leisure centre is brilliant.

Restaurants really depends on your cuisine choice,
    Thai - Yindees (John Street)
    Chinese/Asian - Lohs (Parliament Street) / Emerald Gardens (High Street)
    Pub Grub/Bar Food/Irish - Kitlers (Kieran Street) / Langtons (John Street)
    Indian - Royal Spice (Patrick Street) /Shimla Palace (Dean Street, its a bit of a walk, really good though)
    Steak - Ripleys (The Butter Slip)
    Italian - Italian Connection (Parliament street) / La Rivista (Parliament street)

If you want a real fancy meal you only really have two choices;
    La Campagne (Barrack Street)
    Ristorante Rinuccini (The Parade, opposite the castle)
    I havn't been to La Campagne personally, but I love the food in Rinuccinis.

Cheap Eats :
    Early bird - KeyLargo €10 for two courses (Italian)
    Its just at the Rose-inn street side of Johns Bridge (here)
    There is a buffet in Ming's Dynasty in Irishtown (Asian) its ~€10-15 all you can eat.

The all important fry
    Byrnes Pub - Top of Johnstreet
    Eddie Rockets - Biker Breakfast

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me on these, but in my experience these are the places I would eat.
    Also given that its the cat laughs weekend, everywhere will be mobbed and there will probably be food/bbq etc for sale at the rivercourt and on the parade.

Pubs, also depends on what your after
    Although, you couldn't go too far wrong with Ryans on friary street, Kitlers (Kieran Street), Left Bank (parade), Matt the millers (John Street/Johns Bridge) and according to fabbydabby the Kilford.
    The side of Biddy Earlys is good too, tends to get a bit "sweaty" inside.
    It will be cat laughs weekend though, so everywhere will be jointed, go with the crowd ;)

Oh and most of all, Enjoy the Marble City!

Thanks a lot L.D.

Couldn't ask for more, must work for Failte Ireland, if not your wasted.

Good luck and thanks, L.D.and fabby.

• Advertisement

No problem at all nudger,
    I forgot one thing, a nice cup of coffee, now this is sure to divide opinion but I would say you will get a great cup in;

The Maple Café & Creperie (Kieran Street, opposite Kitlers )
    That small coffee shop (can't remember the name.. might be Gurmans) Kieran Street (just off Rose-inn street)
    Mocha on high-street ( Mocha is a bit pricey-er than the rest, but they also do homemade chocolates, and there food isn't bad either)
    Mug Shot Café on James Street (just up from Superquinn)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Here lads, does the Worlds End do B&B?

Dymo wrote: »
    Here lads, does the Worlds End do B&B?

Seriously, this wasn't funny when it started and its been done to death, enough is enough.

dead_horse.gif

Go on, I'll bite, whats with the Worlds End and B&B, for an outsiders benefit.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Seriously, this wasn't funny when it started and its been done to death, enough is enough.

dead_horse.gif

Some people are just necrophiliacs.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

That was a quick few weeks, so we will be in the Marble city this afternoon.

How is the Cats laugh this year? Big crowds? Any highlights to look out for?

Can't beat a bit of insider info.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That was a quick few weeks, so we will be in the Marble city this afternoon.

How is the Cats laugh this year? Big crowds? Any highlights to look out for?

I saw Ray D'Arcy out jogging this morning. Thankfully there were no broken signposts on his route so he can't sue us for all our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

fabbydabby wrote: »
    The Kilford has the unusual distinction of being both the cheapest AND the nicest hotel in Kilkenny.

As for Robitusin at the bar. Tell him Fabby sent you ;)

As a parent the Kilford is not a place I would reccomend. John Street on a Fridy or Saturday night is mayhem and I know I am being snobby but its not a family destination, unless you want to sit at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I thought is was quiet enough. I wasn't at any shows but not the same buzz as previous years

Was about the town and there is a nice buzz, not to packed.

Had a few pints in the Playwright and Matt the Miller.

Any other Boardies in town.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Went to 2 shows yesterday, Irelands got Mammies in the set was excellent & great value at €15.... Pity the weather turned, was looking forward to the Rivercourt beergarden today :(

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Went to 2 shows yesterday, Irelands got Mammies in the set was excellent & great value at €15.... Pity the weather turned, was looking forward to the Rivercourt beergarden today :(

Going to head to the Rivercourt around 1pm after a walk around town.

You will be setup in Hotel Kilkenny anyway, it is really nice and the leisure centre is brilliant.

Restaurants really depends on your cuisine choice,
    Thai - Yindees (John Street)
    Chinese/Asian - Lohs (Parliament Street) / Emerald Gardens (High Street)
    Pub Grub/Bar Food/Irish - Kitlers (Kieran Street) / Langtons (John Street)
    Indian - Royal Spice (Patrick Street) /Shimla Palace (Dean Street, its a bit of a walk, really good though)
    Steak - Ripleys (The Butter Slip)
    Italian - Italian Connection (Parliament street) / La Rivista (Parliament street)

If you want a real fancy meal you only really have two choices;
    La Campagne (Barrack Street)
    Ristorante Rinuccini (The Parade, opposite the castle)
    I havn't been to La Campagne personally, but I love the food in Rinuccinis.

Cheap Eats :
    Early bird - KeyLargo €10 for two courses (Italian)
    Its just at the Rose-inn street side of Johns Bridge (here)
    There is a buffet in Ming's Dynasty in Irishtown (Asian) its ~€10-15 all you can eat.

The all important fry
    Byrnes Pub - Top of Johnstreet
    Eddie Rockets - Biker Breakfast

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me on these, but in my experience these are the places I would eat.
    Also given that its the cat laughs weekend, everywhere will be mobbed and there will probably be food/bbq etc for sale at the rivercourt and on the parade.

Pubs, also depends on what your after
    Although, you couldn't go too far wrong with Ryans on friary street, Kitlers (Kieran Street), Left Bank (parade), Matt the millers (John Street/Johns Bridge) and according to fabbydabby the Kilford.
    The side of Biddy Earlys is good too, tends to get a bit "sweaty" inside.
    It will be cat laughs weekend though, so everywhere will be jointed, go with the crowd ;)

Oh and most of all, Enjoy the Marble City!

Had a great time in Kilkenny, best review is that we were planning on coming back while we were still there.

Couple of things to comment on.

THE NUMBER OF PUBS! :D
    followed closely by Churches, whats the story? think I counted 7 in a half mile radius.

Hotel Kilkenny, nice but not a 4 star imo, good breakfast, good bar, evening meal not great, had it the first night as it was part of the deal but went down the town the next night.

Rinuccini's was where I fancied but others wanted "steak" so went to Ripley's.

Once we stepped over the sagging inflatable mickey from the night before we were shown to our table by very friendly staff.
    "16 oz ribeye on special €23 with all the trimmings, happy days.
    3 bot's of wine 2 rounds of drinks, 5 starters and mains for €185 :eek: you knew you were not in Dublin.

Pubs: Done a good few so forgive me for not having the names.

Started off in the Kilford arms, sorry Fabby, 1 pint and out the door, 2 groups of local lads (I think) roaring and shouting 2 in the afternoon, as said before not for family's.

Next Langton's, Jesus some place, room after room after room, it's huge.
    Had 1 drink and moved on.

The Rivercourt hotel, they had plans for a barbie but the weather was bad so canceled.
    The bar had a different feel to it than any other in Kilkenny, very formal, no locals, spotted a few minor celebs, nice staff but a bit lacking in ambience.

Next stop Tynan's, nice poky spot but was too full, would like to give it another go.

Lanagan's. what can I say, oh yes the only pub I have ever been in that does not have a toilet in the gent's.

Left bank, nice young and trendy, setting up a band when we went in, had 1 and mooved across the road to the Hibernian hotel.
    Good spot, had a few pints, then the girls wanted to change drinks, cocktails were the order of the day and that old favourite the Black Russian was called for.
    Nearly got a slap from the Russian barmaid when I asked for one.:rolleyes:

Get's a bit blurry after that, back to the hotel and the residents lounge, really
    nice guy looked after us all weekend, waiter, top guy.

I'll be back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Great that you had a good time, it's also nice to get some feedback.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Hello again Kilkenny boardies,

I know the thread is a year old but was wondering what's new or worth checking out as we are coming to visit again next week.

Giving the Ormonde a go this time as it is closer to the center, was going to give the Rivercourt a go but they don't have 3 person rooms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement