Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullaghmeen Forest, Westmeath?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Am going there on Sunday; it is a planted Beech forest near Castlepollard and south of L. Sheelin. Does anyone know of any birds to see there at this time of year?

Des

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Desmo wrote: »
    Am going there on Sunday; it is a planted Beech forest near Castlepollard and south of L. Sheelin. Does anyone know of any birds to see there at this time of year?

Des

Hope the weather improves or you'll see/hear very little:( - at this time of year warblers should be much in evidence, including Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and a good chance of Grasshopper and Sedge warbler in that part of the country. Jay, Sparrowhawk, Treecreepers, Redpoll, Sisken(in the conifers) and Tits should all be present too along with the usual garden birds like Thrushes etc.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I go there regularly and tbh, there aren't an abundance of birds to be seen, or any wildlife for that matter except for a rabbit maybe.
    Keep an eye overhead though as i saw 2 raptors circling over the arboretum last week. Didn't get a clear Id.

Edit.
    I may have been a bit negative there. I'm just back from a walk up there and there was plenty of Finches about and a lot of birdcalls high up in the trees. Also Thrushes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Its going to be busy at Mullaghmeen on Sunday. There is an orienteering event on. Carpark will be full and participants all round the wood from about 11 to 2.30 though won't be packked up till about 4pm.

I've seen Buzzards on most of my visits there, more around the edge rather than actually in the woods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is this the place i was once told was mixed sycamore/beech, but squirrels have done away with the sycamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Mothman wrote: »
    Its going to be busy at Mullaghmeen on Sunday. There is an orienteering event on. Carpark will be full and participants all round the wood from about 11 to 2.30 though won't be packked up till about 4pm.

That is why I will be there; I will not be orienteering; just out for the day

• Advertisement
Advertisement