Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions re airsoft

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Is a licence required for airsoft guns.

How like real guns are they in terms of the mechanisms of how they work. It is a present for someone who is fascinated about how guns work to the tune of saying they are works of art

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Departed wrote: »
    Is a licence required for airsoft guns.
    No, you just need to be over 18.
    How like real guns are they in terms of the mechanisms of how they work.
    Not at all. Most use an electric motor to drive an air piston that blows the bb down the barrel.
    It is a present for someone who is fascinated about how guns work to the tune of saying they are works of art
    Depending on the person, they may like having the gun anyway as a replica/model of the real thing. Mid and top end airsoft guns can be very faithful reproductions with correct dimensions, external moving parts and trademarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

you just need to be over 18 to buy them in a shop or have an adult with you. to use them i think you can be any age?? but to skirmish them it depends on the age limit of a site, lowest ive seen is 12 years and over.
    correct me if im wrong with that :)

if you want realism a gas blow back rifle probly would suite better over an electric rifle.. handles much like the real thing but costly to run and maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

$kilkenny wrote: »
    you just need to be over 18 to buy them in a shop or have an adult with you. to use them i think you can be any age?? but to skirmish them it depends on the age limit of a site, lowest ive seen is 12 years and over.
    correct me if im wrong with that :)

if you want realism a gas blow back rifle p
    robly would suite better over an electric rifle.. handles much like the real thing but costly to run and maintain
    is that realism available in a handgun like http://www.justbbguns.ie/product/49/BB-Guns/126/Black-Gas/471/HG1070-METAL

thanks everyone for the feedback;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

As far as aeg's go if your from an engineering background the precision especially in top quality brands is very impressive. Not to mention the exterior parts from receivers and rails (ris) to the vast selection of accessories you can add to them.

Pistols do work very similarly to there reel steel counter parts only difference is the gas in the magazine cycles the slide, the valve knocker to the gas magazine is essentially the firing pin to the shell casing.

Gas blow back rifles are even again more realistic, most of the parts found in a WA M4 work in the same principle to a M4 from the bolt carrier to the sears, difference again being how the bolt is cycled with as not a bullet.

Yes the realism in the link you provided will be there but there are better pistols out there check some of the Irish retailers websites and have a gawk at whats on offer.

• Advertisement

Why does this need a licence when it is under one joule?

What do you guys think of that brand the AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

What you have linked to above talks about the pistol being licensed - i.e. has the correct trade marks (in this case, STI markings on the pistol as STI make a version of this pistol in the real world). The airsoft pistol itself does not require a license.

What you have linked to above talks about the pistol being licensed - i.e. has the correct trade marks (in this case, STI markings on the pistol as STI make a version of this pistol in the real world). The airsoft pistol itself does not require a license.
    Oh I see thanks very much;)

You mean STI make a functioning gun?Would the internals be the same?

Oh I see thanks very much;)

You mean STI make a functioning gun?Would the internals be the same?

Dude, I'm beginning to wonder about why you keep asking about internals and the realism of airsoft replicas.

Let's be clear - airsoft replicas CANNOT under any circumstances be used as a firearm. No way ... no how. The materials used are nowhere near the tolerances required, the operating systems are entirely different and are not compatible and while they may look realistic they are nothing more than toys.

Dude, I'm beginning to wonder about why you keep asking about internals and the realism of airsoft replicas.

Let's be clear - airsoft replicas CANNOT under any circumstances be used as a firearm. No way ... no how. The materials used are nowhere near the tolerances required, the operating systems are entirely different and are not compatible and while they may look realistic they are nothing more than toys.
    read my op...dude:rolleyes:
    if he wants a toy i will get him a cowboy suit
    airsoft replicas CANNOT under any circumstances be used as a firearm.
    who said anything about that sigh

• Advertisement

who said anything about that sigh

With respect - your post count (in terms of airsoft) is a bit low. Previously there has been the occasional troll come on here asking pointed questions, replied to in good faith, that subsequently get misused. Apologies if you see it as overreaction - I'm merely clarifying the situation.

In terms of looking for a gift for someone who is interested in firearms, yes, an airsoft gun will certainly look and do certain things like (operative word there) a real firearm and for someone with a passing interest in real world firearms, I would recommend a gas blowback pistol (which seems like what you might be looking for).

The particular pistol you linked to is gas blow back, has markings on it like it's counterpart in the real world and as such would work well for your stated purposes.

With respect - your post count (in terms of airsoft) is a bit low. Previously there has been the occasional troll come on here asking pointed questions, replied to in good faith, that subsequently get misused. Apologies if you see it as overreaction - I'm merely clarifying the situation.

In terms of looking for a gift for someone who is interested in firearms, yes, an airsoft gun will certainly look and do certain things like (operative word there) a real firearm and for someone with a passing interest in real world firearms, I would recommend a gas blowback pistol (which seems like what you might be looking for).

The particular pistol you linked to is gas blow back, has markings on it like it's counterpart in the real world and as such would work well for your stated purposes.

Fair enough respect to you too. i am not trolling. The thing is my friend is interested in the way guns work, he says they are a work of art. he would like one that works the same way. Ok that is not possible with airsoft guns. Thanks for letting me know

it is not how they look he is interested in but the inner workings of real guns he sees as being a work of art.

I do not know much about airsoft, hence low post count, but i do not have the time or inclination to troll. Have you a link to a troll? They must not have much to do. This is a genuine query, thanks for the answers
    The particular pistol you linked to is gas blow back, has markings on it like it's counterpart in the real world and as such would work well for your stated purposes
    no, you see it wouldn't as it does not work the same way, as i understand although it looks the same. looks would be fine. i have seen that brand in a shop so that is why i linked it here. I had top go back to the shop to see the name and that is why I only took this up again today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

the closest thing you're going to get to the internal working of a real fire arm is a real fire arm. that's not me being sarcastic. I've read all the replies and you don't seem to be interested in the ones linked, even though the pistols are the best option for your mate if he's interested in the internal mechanics of a real fire arm, nothing will substitute, I have a fascination too, in fact studying a bit of it in college but I play airsoft too and fix the airsoft guns i use. I recently took a few pistols apart and they were very complicated and it fascinated me how they function, although airsoft pistols are far more complicated tot heir real steel counterparts.
    So my point is, if you think he can make a bit of a compromise, then get a gas pistol (orCO2). If you think he wants even more realistic, you're going to have to get a firearms license or join a shooting range :)

What is then one called where you have to manually pull back the slide after each shot?

EDIT Oh I see spring powered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Tanaka Works Casseopoeia is/was the most realistic revolver (you put BB's and Gas into each bullet, and a miniature firing pin hites the striker valve firing the gun) on the market. It was banned in Japan and the gun was discontinued after the CEO was arrested for producing what they deemed to be an illegal firearm. Depending on the model, condition and the buyer, these can go for over €500 when selling second hand, but tis the price you pay for realism.

The Tanaka Works M870 shotgun is another realistic gun - like the revolver above it is gas in shell, with shells loaded into the breach and extraced just the same as the real. Ludicrously expensive and WILL fail within 6 months, but once again shares many parts the same as the RS.

wA GBBR M4 rifles have been touted as being very similar in design to the real M4, so if you want realism and quality then you could pick yourself up the Inokatsu M4 GBBR. Take-down of the rifle is the same, with the innards being designed to replicate the internals of the real one, though they do not function the exact same.

When you're looking for features as you've mentioned, you are into collector territory and that is a very expensive road, where functionality is an after thought (if you're lucky). Be prepared to throw money at things to own, and to have to turf even more again if you plan to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

As I think of it, isn't there a shell ejecting M4 as well?

Advertisement