Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure battery query

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Drove from Dublin to Mayo on Monday, when we arrived the leisure battery ran out after lights were on for a few minutes. Drove back, battery flat again. This was the first time we've used the motorhome since October. There's also an acidy smell in the van. Does this sound like we need a new leisure battery? It's a 08 so battery so almost 4 years old.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

barry73 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Drove from Dublin to Mayo on Monday, when we arrived the leisure battery ran out after lights were on for a few minutes. Drove back, battery flat again. This was the first time we've used the motorhome since October. There's also an acidy smell in the van. Does this sound like we need a new leisure battery? It's a 08 so battery so almost 4 years old.

Thanks

You must have left the battery go flat, they are scrap after a few weeks/months due to sulfation when left flat. The smell is probably the battery gassing which is explosive (rotten egg smell) or acid being driven out of it which could cause some serious corrosion. remove it immediately and wash out any acid if it has leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barry73

paddyp wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

You must have left the battery go flat, they are scrap after a few weeks/months due to sulfation when left flat. The smell is probably the battery gassing which is explosive (rotten egg smell) or acid being driven out of it which could cause some serious corrosion. remove it immediately and wash out any acid if it has leaked.

Thanks for getting back to me PaddyP. I'm going to remove it now straight away. It's a Ford Transit think its located under the passenger seat.

Any idea best place to buy a new battery and roughly how much?

Thanks again.

Thanks for getting back to me PaddyP. I'm going to remove it now straight away. It's a Ford Transit think its located under the passenger seat.

Any idea best place to buy a new battery and roughly how much?

Thanks again.

Depends on the size, if its under the passenger seat its probably not too large 110Ah elecsol is about €140. Next winter take it out and keep it on a trickle charge.

Thanks again PaddyP. Pardon my ignorance but what's trickle charge? Sorry for all the questions, new to the whole camper van thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It's a low rate of charge that keeps it topped up . You could just plug the MH into mains a day a week either.

• Advertisement

Thanks PaddyP and Aidan for the tips and advice.

Luckily PaddyP gave me an indication of price- was quoted over €400 by my local motor factors who were recommended by a Ford dealer!

Luckily PaddyP gave me an indication of price- was quoted over €400 by my local motor factors who were recommended by a Ford dealer!

A 270Ah battery could be that price. check what markings are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

you can buy solar power trickle chargers off ebay.i have one and it works off sunlight or just daylight.just stick it in the dash and away it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I'm sure you're not but don't confuse a starter battery with a leisure battery two different types of battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

I posted this on another thread - but I do think its worth a look

At the lower end - there is nothing to differentiate between a Leisure Battery and a Starter. In the video he opens up the different types.

http://caravanchannel.co.uk/videos?vid=164

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The battery I removed was a 12v 100ah 800a. I see one online for £118 + delivery. Would this be alright?

http://www.leisurebatteriesireland.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The battery I removed was a 12v 100ah 800a. I see one online for £118 + delivery. Would this be alright?

http://www.leisurebatteriesireland.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

You'll get one at home for the same money.

Thanks Cipro55. My local place quoted me €400 for the same thing! Any idea where I'd get one for €150 or thereabouts? I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

got a 110ah in donaghys for 110€

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Saw them in Donaghey's at the weekend.

Marine shop in Santry also sells them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xfatherjack

I recently read about New High-Tech. Leisure Battery AGM
    For these Battery, delivered to your door by Courier, try this internet address
    http://www.shopenergia.com/en/department/112/AGM-batteries.html

I was looking at Solar Panel Kits, the sell Batteries.
    I have not ordered anything from the yet, but very competitive pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Halfords also do Leisure batteries but 110AH for 110eur is an excellent price from Donaghys.

Advertisement