Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Man with a Van in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, I am moving soon from the city centre out to Ruch co Dublin.
    I have had a look online and there seems to be 100's of 'Man with a Van' about.
    Could someone recommend one to me for this one run? Prices and stuff.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

if you have a driving licence and feel confident enough to drive a van in the city rent one, there are specific van rental companies and a lot of the car rental places have van rentals as well - enterprise are the only ones I've used and I would reccomend them highly.

I'd suggest having EVERYTHING pre-boxed and having a friend ready to help you. You can even enquire from the rental place if you can take the van the night before as your "starting early the next morning" - you might get one load loaded onto the van and get a head start on the move.

One final bit of advice, no matter how much stuff you have and you think it'll fit in x van loads - you'll have at least x + 30% van loads :(:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

PM Cormie. He run's Vantasks.ie and is a good egg.
    Support irish business and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

bloody hell, they do all-Ireland IKEA deliveries as well. That would have saved me a lot of pain last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

+1 on vantasks, used them last year: reliable & low cost. Would def use them again.

[ps: We had a Polish driver though :D]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Sadly I dont have a driving licence so i do need some help. Have no one who would be able to help so man with a van is my only option.

Just looking for quotes atm.
    Vantasks.ie, I just sent them a mail so will see what they come back with, thanks for that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've just seen this now. Thanks for all the recommendations folks! I replied to your quote request earlier today readyletsgo, so just let me know what you think and I'd be happy to help if you'd like to proceed.

I know what you mean about there being hundreds of "Man with a Van" classifieds online. Just be careful as most wouldn't be operating with the proper insurance etc, even a lot of the ones with their own websites!

scaryfairy, that would have been Minda (He also posts here!), but he's Lithuanian ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

ohhhh sorry!!! ignorant me.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

Another recommendation for Cormie on Vantasks.ie. Reliable and a really nice guy. Was able to do the job on short notice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

vantasks.ie are very reliable & friendly.... have used them numerous times . recommended.

Thanks again for the recommendations :)

mrbike, I've a feeling you might be the guy I moved yesterday with the 7 bikes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

cormie wrote: »

mrbike, I've a feeling you might be the guy I moved yesterday with the 7 bikes :D

I m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I might be looking for a regular service. What size vans do you use Cormie? Do your guys handball the goods in to the destination or do you just drop at the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for Cormie and vantasks.ie

Used him twice, he'll sort you out

Thanks mike :)
    Swampy wrote: »
    I might be looking for a regular service. What size vans do you use Cormie? Do your guys handball the goods in to the destination or do you just drop at the door?

I usually charge jobs based on time so whatever level of service you want can be provided. If you'd prefer to keep the job as quick as possible we can leave items where instructed or if each separate item has to go to a different room or even be unpacked and assembled, this can be accommodated for too. Similarly you can let the driver do all the work (providing nothing is too big, heavy or awkward for them to manage alone), provide assistance to the driver yourself or book a driver and helper.

If you pop me an email or fill in a form on the site I'd be happy to look over your requirements and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I went with enterprise because the only variable cost if we had an extra run to do was the fuel. If I had a man with a van it would have cost double (if they were even willing to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dolan

Don't really use Boards but am posting because I saw the recommendation here (via google) and felt it should be acknowledged.

Thumbs up here for Vantasks. Great service at really short notice. Called early Sat morning because a small couch wouldn't fit in a Focus and the van hire places were completely useless at giving a straight answer to availability and costs. Minda got straight in and actually did all the lifting.

Top marks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know what you mean about there being hundreds of "Man with a Van" classifieds online. Just be careful as most wouldn't be operating with the proper insurance etc, even a lot of the ones with their own websites!

Alot of guys are doing it but as stated it is important that they have proper insurance. Also there are some guys who have multiple numbers and ads up on some websites so you may get 5 quotes and they all turn out to be from the same guy.

Thanks a lot for the feedback dolan, glad to have helped at such short notice. Was Minda lifting sofa's by himself again? :D
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Alot of guys are doing it but as stated it is important that they have proper insurance. Also there are some guys who have multiple numbers and ads up on some websites so you may get 5 quotes and they all turn out to be from the same guy.

Yup, there's even a website or 2 from what I know that claim to submit your quote to several different operators when it's just run by 1 guy who's sending you quotes from different email addresses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yup, there's even a website or 2 from what I know that claim to submit your quote to several different operators when it's just run by 1 guy who's sending you quotes from different email addresses.
    That sounds like him alright. He even went as far as to give multiple different quotes for the same job but signed his name at the end of each so it was obvious what he was at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Used Vantasks.ie based on the recommendations on here and was not at all disappointed. Needed to move at very short notice from Meath to Dublin and Minda did a great job. Thanks for the recommendation for these guys. Decent and hardworking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Can I ask, what the average price of a move is. €100 euro cover it or am I way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was looking around and used a Man with a Van service just last week I needed two heavy items brought from Dublin 14 to Dublin 11, about a 13 mile journey. I send out a lot of emails to advertisers on Donedeal and Adverts, got a good few quotes ranging from €100 all the way down to one lad who said he'd do it for €45. So my advice to people is to shop around as some operators are quoting twice the price of others. One lad who is in the same suburb as me quoted €90, this was despite him having a short drive home after the job was up. Needless to say I didn't go with him.

In the end I used the service www.anyvan.ie and found it very good. you just enter your details of the job and then multiple van drivers come back and quote you. I had 6 quotes in total ranging from €55 to €70. The van drivers have feedback scores like eBay so you can read comments of previous customers which is nice and transparent. I did get lower quotes elsewhere but I went with the driver who quoted €55 from anyvan.ie as he had a positive feedback score of over 200 happy customers so I figured that using him was preferable than taking a chance on some unknown lad who mightn't show up on time or else not know the streets of the city well and just cause you frustration.

Advertisement