Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am thinking about buying a bike to import any advice?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have been searching for a Yamaha R6 07ish for a while now and I wanted to know if it was worth while going to England or further a field Europe somewhere.

Anyway has anyone done this, is it worth it and is it any cheaper.

There are two R6s on donedeal but just want to see if there are other options.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Check out some of the sites in the UK for selling stuff like

Pistonheads
    Autotrader

This will give you an idea of price of the bike and the spec too. You might pick up some prestine examples over in the UK.

Then you'll need to factor in traveling expenses and VRT.

You could travel across yourself or get someone to do this for you ( This service is available but I'd have to have a look around to get the info for you).

Pick a few bikes in the same locality to give you options but ALWAYS be prepared to come home empty handed instead of on a lemon.

I think in the past it was worth it financially and from extras but I am not sure if this is still the case.

If you are still interested and responses are not great here you/we could ask on different forums for you for more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

Yeah I know thats the way with cars they have the top spec in the uk but is there that much difference in the bikes.

I have been looking on pistonheads there are a few great bikes but they are expensive. They are around £4700 to £5000 and then there the same on donedeal but in € so it's cheaper here and less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Can you really not find an Irish one? I'd have thought there would be plenty of these aorund and save yourself the hassle of going abroad for one. UK prices are holding steady against falling Irish prices for a while now.

'cptr

There are only two on donedeal and one has been up for 5 months or so, it started on English reg. I am not able to buy for another 2 months, so while I am waiting I was just exploring my options because there aren't that many here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

muller25 wrote: »
    There are only two on donedeal and one has been up for 5 months or so, it started on English reg. I am not able to buy for another 2 months, so while I am waiting I was just exploring my options because there aren't that many here.

I'm looking for an SV650 atmo, and the prices here are same as sterling, over. That's 16% cheaper, before you figure in travel costs etc etc....I can't see any point in travelling for a bike atmo, theres fantastic value here,now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 handy911

Up until last year, I purchased all my bikes in the U.K. There was a significant amount of cash to be saved. But since the downturn, I've purchased two bikes in Ireland. There are some great deals (Irl) and it is a buyers market.

What I still like about the U.K is the amount of choice and they really look after their bikes. I also found a guy from the U.K will give a very accurate description of the bike over the phone, immaculate means immaculate. It is very easy to get a flight and use the trains to get the rest of the way.

Remember to factor exchange rates and VRT.
    Also do a check online for finance owed and is the bike stolen.

I believe you should be able to pick up an R6 in Ireland cheaper and if your patient you will get a clean one.

Yeah I am just going to have to be patient. I just though I was missing something but it must just be the economy or something was always told to go to the uk for a good deal. Looks like I am staying here for it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

some models of bikes especially sportsbikes are being exported to uk and france from here as prices are so low and there is very little demand for them. no vrt their end either! bmw gs 1200 are too numerous here for prices to hold up i have been told, so they might have to sold abroad particularly germany, gotta be mint examples though.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I've just bought a Triumph Trophy in the UK. Did the deal via phone and net. Paid a deposit through paypal and then contacted "Biketrans". Met the guy on the Naas Rd. Gave him the balance of the payment in cash. 3 days later, phone call to tell me he would be with me within the hour. 1 hour later the bike was rolled off the back of his van.
    The service cost me (Dublin) €300. For this he paid the seller, did a hpi check, checked the bike to make sure it was as described (if its not he'll contact you to let you decide what to do) collected and delivered and the bike is insured.
    For anyone thinking of importing from the UK I can't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How about looking up North - easier to get to and no need to ferry the bike home!

There were great deals to be had in Britain a few years back, especially on older bikes with low VRT (got a great deal there myself, from a dealer not a private seller) but it's certainly a buyers' market here now as lots of people unfortunately need to offload their bikes and there aren't a huge number of buyers with cash about.

The next bike will come along a lot sooner than your next X thousand euro, so be willing to wait until you get the right one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement