Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a beer - Paulaner, Erdinger, Hoegarden...

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Title pretty much says it all. The above three are my favourite beers.

What other option are available to me. I also have tried Franziskaner but don't think it's as nice as Paulaner and Erdinger and gives worse hangovers which puts me off.

I love Leffe too.

If you think it's too broad a topic you can just recommend a weissbier. It doesn't have to be available in Ireland but tell me if it isn't.

Cheers buds.

Alan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Those are all pretty similar beers. How about branching out to something like Goose Island IPA or Duvel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yeah, very wheat-beer oriented there. Try a Rochefort 10, or a Westmalle Triple. The Rochefort is as complex as a good wine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

keeping it irish and wheat based, metalman altenator is pretty good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This is my favourite wheat beer. Schneider Weisse Tap No.7 (tap 4 is nice too)

Schneider%20Weisse%20Unser%20Original%20Tap%207.jpg

Available in good off licenses and most of the craft beer pubs.

Best way to try new beers is to get to a craft beer pub and get a sampling tray(they nearly all do them). That way you can try 3 beers instead of shelling out for a pint that you potentially might not like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

The beers yo mention are fairly readily available in most Supermarkets..the replies seem to refer to beers that are at best somewhat obscure so to give you my choices from local supermarkets...

Rosini...available in Aldi at circa 1.68 a bott ..really nice crisp beer coming in at about 4.8 vol

Kaiserdom ...avail in Dunnes at around 6 eurons for a four pak of 500ml cans.

Karpacki ..nice Polish beer similiar price to the Kaiserdom...available in most Superstores and where good beer is sold.

• Advertisement

The beers yo mention are fairly readily available in most Supermarkets..the replies seem to refer to beers that are at best somewhat obscure so to give you my choices from local supermarkets...

Rosini...available in Aldi at circa 1.68 a bott ..really nice crisp beer coming in at about 4.8 vol

Kaiserdom ...avail in Dunnes at around 6 eurons for a four pak of 500ml cans.

Karpacki ..nice Polish beer similiar price to the Kaiserdom...available in most Superstores and where good beer is sold.

i see you enjoy lagers... poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hello,

What other option are available to me. I also have tried Franziskaner but don't think it's as nice as Paulaner and Erdinger and gives worse hangovers which puts me off.

I love Leffe too.

If you think it's too broad a topic you can just recommend a weissbier. It doesn't have to be available in Ireland but tell me if it isn't.

Cheers buds.

Alan

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 is fantastic. :)

If you haven't already, try one of the dark wheat beers. Erdinger Dunkel is pretty decent.

Are there any decent off-licences near you?

If you wanna drink great wheat beers, get into homebrewing. Brewing with kits is very easy and works out about roughly half a euro a pint. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Seaneh wrote: »

Ugh, is there an anti-lager thing on this forum?

I think poor Seaneh has never had the good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

Spaten. King of beers. 6 for tenner in O'Briens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

My current favorite is Maisel's Weisse Cristal. The regular Maisel's Weisse is also lovely. Sweeney's off licence do 4 500ml bottle for €9.

Sweeney's are also doing Estrella Galicia for €6 for 5 bottles at the moment. It's a great Spanish lager for sunny afternoons and BBQs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm confused: does the OP just want wheat beer suggestions, or is he looking to broaden his horizons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

belgian triples are worth a try, my fav one is leffe triple, its not available here tho but u can get westmalle and some others.

delerium tremens is a great beer but too expensive here.

Augusteiner helles is another great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    This is my favourite wheat beer. Schneider Weisse Tap No.7 (tap 4 is nice too)

Schneider%20Weisse%20Unser%20Original%20Tap%207.jpg

Available in good off licenses and most of the craft beer pubs.

Used to be a favourite beer of mine but I think it has changed.
    It doesn't seem to have that lovely complex clovey depth offlavour any more.
    Even the Avintinus doesn't hit the spot, these days.
    I'm pretty sure that it's the beer has changed and not me.
    Anyone else have thoughts on this?

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think poor Seaneh has never had the good stuff :D

not from want of trying!!!

rcaz wrote: »

Ugh, is there an anti-lager thing on this forum?

not on the forum that I know of. but i hate them. so much effort for crap beer!

Zeitgeist, Schlenkerla Märzen, Edelstoff, Salvator: if there's nothing for you in that lot you're a lost cause ;)

Zeitgeist, Schlenkerla Märzen, Edelstoff, Salvator: if there's nothing for you in that lot you're a lost cause ;)

as in brew f
    dog zeitgist? i didnt hate it! salvator? are dopple bocks bottom fermented?!?! i like salvator. when i say I hate lagers I mean the fizzy yellow stuff :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My local wine/beer shop had that El Bulli Estrella Inedit beer in for a while. Got my hands on a few of them before it all sold out and it is really tasty. If you see I'd recommend trying. Not too unlike a Duvell or Chimay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MJ15

Krombacher is a good bet.+1 Spaten too

• Advertisement

as in brew f
    dog zeitgist? i didnt hate it!
    I think it's one of the best lagers sold in Ireland. Even moreso now Budvar Dark is gone.
    salvator? are dopple bocks bottom fermented?
    Yep. All bocks are, except weizen bock.
    when i say I hate lagers I mean the fizzy yellow stuff :-)
    Ahh. So it's not that you've no taste, you're just ignorant :P ;) There are plenty of good pale lagers too, IMO. Edelstoff as mentioned. I think Budvar is a classic. Jever is pretty full-on. Brooklyn Lager is beautifully hoppy. I'll stop now.

as in brew f
    dog zeitgist? i didnt hate it!
    I think it's one of the best lagers sold in Ireland. Even moreso now Budvar Dark is gone.
    salvator? are dopple bocks bottom fermented?
    Yep. All bocks are, except weizen bock.
    when i say I hate lagers I mean the fizzy yellow stuff :-)
    Ahh. So it's not that you've no taste, you're just ignorant :P ;) There are plenty of good pale lagers too, IMO. Edelstoff as mentioned. I think Budvar is a classic. Jever is pretty full-on. Brooklyn Lager is beautifully hoppy. I'll stop now.

see i really dont like brooklyn or budvar! i shall give a few more a lash i am open minded!

i do like dopplebocks btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

All good suggestions, and you should try some Irish beers as well, OP, there's some really great stuff out there-The Franciscan Well makes delightful stuff, and Galway Hooker, O'Hara's IPA, and O'Hara's Curim (Wheat beer) are all dleicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

Blue moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Old Sage Brush

Hello,

I love Leffe too.

Cheers buds.

Alan

Going by those three, I think you'd like Affligem too. Can be a bit hard to find, but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Back on the lager train: Currently tucking into a Alpirsbacher Klosterbräu Pils, gorgeous stuff. And I had a Löwenbräu Original last weekend which went down really well too - might be one of my favourite lagers actually but I'll have to investigate further.

Seaneh, if (assuming you haven't already) you can get your hands on a bottle of Weltenberger Kloster Winter Traum still lying around from Christmas, defo give that a shot, for the last few months it's been the beer I've used to turn my not-really-that-interested-in-proper-beer mates into hlyfcknsht-that's-gorgeous-gis-more-beers people, 100% success rate :p

(Sorry, not suggesting you're like one of my mates who doesn't know good beer when they drink it, just that it always seemed to be a bit of taste-changer. And oh yeah, I think it's really nice too :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

rcaz wrote: »
    <snip>
    Seaneh, if (assuming you haven't already) you can get your hands on a bottle of Weltenberger Kloster Winter Traum still lying around from Christmas, defo give that a shot, for the last few months it's been the beer I've used to turn my not-really-that-interested-in-proper-beer mates into hlyfcknsht-that's-gorgeous-gis-more-beers people, 100% success rate :p
    <snip>
    I found that plain old Augustiner Helles does the same.

i.e. folks visit Munich from Ireland and ONLY drink cider/ spirits at home (and often are female in this category)
    Their only experience of Lager/ Beer is fizzy metally tasting hard to drink, impossible to enjoy, Irish brewed big name beers or for them the all too bitter Guinness

The price of spirits in Germany and lack of availability of cider forces them to try and savour the local lager (Augustiner/ Spaten/ Löwenbrau/ Paulaner/ Hacker Pschorr) and they almost always love it.

The only exceptions I ever found are people who really have it against beer in their head as a concept (they are above it as they associate it with louts/degenerates or see it as being too calorie full etc.), so thats a psychological problem more than their palette rejecting the stuff.

Advertisement