Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this calf sick

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I bought a calf that is sucking a cow (one of 3 calves on the cow). While the calf is not in the least bit sick, he has a very watery dark brown scour.

I let him suck the cow morning and evening, give him a powder to rehydrate him once a day, I have taken him off meal but the scour persists. He is eating hay.

Any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tomjim wrote: »
    I bought a calf that is sucking a cow (one of 3 calves on the cow). While the calf is not in the least bit sick, he has a very watery dark brown scour.

I let him suck the cow morning and evening, give him a powder to rehydrate him once a day, I have taken him off meal but the scour persists. He is eating hay.

Any advice

Any temperature ?
    ANd yes I'd consider the calf sick and needing attention..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Get some scour powders with antibiotics into him. Dark brown ? might be blood mixed in ,milk scour is usually yellowish, could be coccidiosis but best ring your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

tim04750 wrote: »
    Get some scour powders with antibiotics into him. Dark brown ? might be blood mixed in ,milk scour is usually yellowish, could be coccidiosis but best ring your vet.

Sounds like coccidiosis to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

tim04750 wrote: »
    ...best ring your vet.
    ^
    |
    |
    This x 1 million!

OP, there's no way a bunch of randomers in Internetland can diagnose or treat you calf.
    Consult a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Rovi wrote: »
    ^
    |
    |
    This x 1 million!

OP, there's no way a bunch of randomers in Internetland can diagnose or treat you calf.
    Consult a professional.

Indeed
    But in fairness we could all answer the question "is this calf sick"
    If your not confident what to do getting the vet is the best advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

When the call out alone costs 60 Euro for a 200 Euro calf, DIY diagnosing can make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

calf might be bordering on illness, but strong enough to hold it at bay,
    but if a secondary illness took hold then it is a quick spiral down ward.
    in this weather it takes very little to turn from under the weather to ill to dead.

treat the animal or get the vet, but do some thing

Advertisement