Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upstairs radiators won't heat.

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have an outside oil burner, the house is zoned into 2 areas, upstairs and downstairs. the upstairs pump has been off for somewhile (unknown to me) turned it on today but rads upstairs won't heat. . thought they needed to be bled so did so but the minute I turned the key water cameout not air. . they heat a small bit at the top of the rads but the bottom of them remain cold. any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are the control valves for the zone open, is there a separate pump for that zone ? Is it working... Do u have thermostatic rad valves, are they on? Have changes been made to the rest of the system,does it need rebalancing....?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

don't know the answer to any of those questions. . their is two switches down stairs one controls upstairs and one downstairs. . their is what looks like a pump downstairs with a grey box beside it. . I think that is what controls the two areas. sorry for the less than informative answers. .

also to add its just plain radiators and nothing has been changed just the switch for upstairs was left off for some while.

It was a build up of sludge in the system, had to get something done with the way the pipes were going into the overflow tank, some chemical was run through the system and each radiator had to be taken off and cleaned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

eok56 wrote: »
    It was a build up of sludge in the system, had to get something done with the way the pipes were going into the overflow tank, some chemical was run through the system and each radiator had to be taken off and cleaned out!

Over a year later:eek:
    Why did they have to take each rad off , did they not use a flushing machine , if they only took the rads off they obviously didn't clean the pipework or boiler :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    Over a year later:eek:
    Why did they have to take each rad off , did they not use a flushing machine , if they only took the rads off they obviously didn't clean the pipework or boiler :rolleyes:

Just was looking though my posts on this as I hadn't logged on in a while and said I would update, this issue was resolved about 12 months ago,

It was a professional company that did the heating system, I don't know the full details but every rad had to be taken off as far as I am aware the whole system was flushed out. Anyway what counts is my heating is working perfectly :)

Advertisement