Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate desert island/impending death book

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I'm making a list of books to read, but I don't know where to start. Lists of must read books are always really long and overwhelming. Limiting it to just one makes people come out with absolute crackers I think. So, if you were going to die tomorrow, what book would you read first? Or if you could only read one book for the rest of your life?

Make it a good one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

If I was going to die tomorrow I definitely wouldn't be reading.

If I could only read one book it would probably be Finnegans Wake, not that I've read it all, but I know it's one of those books one can easily devote an entire lifetime to and still not have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The God Delusion

- just so you don't go out under any false hope, like.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

PurpleBee - Finnegan's Wake? There's a mouthful :) Fair ****s on even partially reading it. So have you read Ulysses? I'd be delighted to get though that tbh! Lifetime achievement award.

Tin Foil Hat - very funny :P but I'm assuming you wouldn't take that book to a desert island? It'd be a bit depressing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Tin Foil Hat - very funny :P but I'm assuming you wouldn't take that book to a desert island? It'd be a bit depressing..

Probably not. I might bring The Ancestor's Tale though. It's a cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    PurpleBee - Finnegan's Wake? There's a mouthful :) Fair ****s on even partially reading it. So have you read Ulysses? I'd be delighted to get though that tbh! Lifetime achievement award.

I've only read about 5 pages of Finnegans Wake, that's why I'd bring it. If I was stuck on a desert island with it and nothing else to do I'd definitely get it read. Can I bring the annotations with me too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

PurpleBee wrote: »
    I've only read about 5 pages of Finnegans Wake, that's why I'd bring it. If I was stuck on a desert island with it and nothing else to do I'd definitely get it read. Can I bring the annotations with me too?

Haha fair point, my wording of the thread title was really very obtuse! I tried to read Ulysses before, because I was challenged by a friend, and only got 2 percent in (read it on the Kindle). Surprisingly liked it, but quickly abandoned it anyway, not sure why.

Sure why not!? Even with all the help you can get, it's still a wicked achievement IMO.

Tin Foil Hat - you're a genuine fan of Dawkins? Nothing against atheists, but he strikes me as being a bit disordered - saw him in an interview before and he was quite inarticulate.

Advertisement