Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for very specific items in Carlow

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I have for some years now been trying to locate a series of books pertaining to the 1798 Rising in Carlow for a history project. The books, which I will list below, are not technically rare, as they were quite numerous at the time of their printing. The problem is, that, their subject matter only being about Carlow means that they just about never appear on online book shops and I have long since given up trying.

I am sure that people will come on here and look at this post and think they do not have the book when in fact they have it in their attic or loft stuffed away in an old box.

`98 In Carlow - Peadar MacSuibhne.

Carlow in `98:
    A contemporary Narrative - Roger J. McHugh

Or

A copy of the Memoirs of William Farrell - William Farrell.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have a few cream-coloured books that came out in 1998 and some other material, which you would be welcome to borrow if you think they might be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I have a few cream-coloured books that came out in 1998 and some other material, which you would be welcome to borrow if you think they might be of use.

Bhookorbycrook,

Thanks for replying. Would any of those books also be by Peadar MacSuibhne, as he was quite a prolific author on the aspect of Carlow in 1798. Thank you kindly for the offer and I am very interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://carlowhistorical.com/publications.html
    Try contacting these folks. They might be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Would there not be a copy of these in the National Library? I seem to remember they have a copy of every book printed in Ireland or maybe i'm wrong - long time since i did my master's in history.

Have you tried Trinity or Maynooth's college libraries - esp Maynooth, they have loads of one off books, uncommon, and not widely printed either through students' research or donations. Worth a try?

Regards,
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

I have for some years now been trying to locate a series of books pertaining to the 1798 Rising in Carlow for a history project. The books, which I will list below, are not technically rare, as they were quite numerous at the time of their printing. The problem is, that, their subject matter only being about Carlow means that they just about never appear on online book shops and I have long since given up trying.

I am sure that people will come on here and look at this post and think they do not have the book when in fact they have it in their attic or loft stuffed away in an old box.

`98 In Carlow - Peadar MacSuibhne.

Carlow in `98:
    A contemporary Narrative - Roger J. McHugh

Or

A copy of the Memoirs of William Farrell - William Farrell.

They were all over Carlow,Fr Swayne also wrote some dense stuff on Cardinal Cullen.
    Many the night we argued/discussed.
    He wrote more titles than those about 98.
    The Library must have them all,.
    Try Mick Purcell as already advised,He is very helpful.
    One point they are lists of occurrences without analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

Bhookorbycrook,

Thanks for replying. Would any of those books also be by Peadar MacSuibhne, as he was quite a prolific author on the aspect of Carlow in 1798. Thank you kindly for the offer and I am very interested.
    He was a priest.
    The clergy have one clear consistent record in Carlow down the centuries,they always do their very worst against their flock and country,

They turned me into a Jacobin.
    So they will lie through their teeth,come to me and I will tell you the history of Carlow.
    You will retch for several days then you can take the money and write fresh lies knowing that someday the truth will die.
    Or maybe you will turn it about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bhookorbycrook,

Found one of the Wexford ones,they are by Art Kavanagh.
    There's a chapter on 1798 in Jimmy O' Toole's book on Grange, do you have that?
    I presume you have the Nicholas Furlong book on Fr. John Murphy?

Found one of the Wexford ones,they are by Art Kavanagh.
    There's a chapter on 1798 in Jimmy O' Toole's book on Grange, do you have that?
    I presume you have the Nicholas Furlong book on Fr. John Murphy?

I have a book by Art Kavanagh. Battles of `98 I believe it is called. It contains a bit about the battles of Carlow, Hackettstown, Kilcumney and Borris.

I do not have the Nicholas Furlong book, but, I do have quite a collection of books on 1798 in Carlow. I have most of the Carlovianna, and most of the pamphlets, booklets and books that were released in 1998 including the small Yellow ones about the Cullen family.

The Carlow County library does have all of the books that I listed in the original post, the problem is that they are not on public display, they are upstairs and you have to ask for permission to see them, also, you cannot check them out of the library as far as I know. I have been upstairs in the library a few times but I would need the books personally for a few weeks in my possession.

I'll put my collection together for you and you can have them as long as you need them. Pm-ing you

I'll put my collection together for you and you can have them as long as you need them. Pm-ing you

Thank you kindly, I replied to your message.

And Sinsin, what topic of the history of Carlow do you specialize in?

• Advertisement

Had a great pub-crawl route based on 1798 sites too, but probably not what you need!!

Had a great pub-crawl route based on 1798 sites too, but probably not what you need!!

I had fought the idea one time of having a walking tour of historical sites in Carlow, I had the fear that no one would turn up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

I had fought the idea one time of having a walking tour of historical sites in Carlow, I had the fear that no one would turn up though.

I knew a chap once (circa 1998), gave up a good job to start a business doing walking tours of Carlow. I've no idea what became of him.

Maybe he starved to death?

You need to marry it with a pub crawl.I have a historic and holy places tour,around Carlow/Wicklow and Kildare- all tied to good pubs like the Dying Cow and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 98 Carlow

Did you ever get MacSuibhne's book as a friend has 3 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Rosahane

98 Carlow wrote: »
    Did you ever get MacSuibhne's book as a friend has 3 of them?

I'd be interested in buying one of them if they are for sale.

I see that all three that the OP was looking for are available through Abebooks.
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=&tn=98+In+Carlow&kn=&isbn=

As you say that Abe Books have a copy of the MacSuibhne book which according to your post is reasonably priced, you should have no problem, Good luck as I have had no luck with books that I ordered from the US.

As you say that Abe Books have a copy of the MacSuibhne book which according to your post is reasonably priced, you should have no problem, Good luck as I have had no luck with books that I ordered from the US.

Actually, Abebooks act as an online catalogue for the majority of independent booksellers worldwide. I've never had any problem getting items through them. In this case MacSuibhne's book is actually in a bookshop in Kilkenny. I've ordered it there.

The Kilkenny bookshop has William Farrell's book - not McSuibhe's.

The Kilkenny bookshop has William Farrell's book - not McSuibhe's.

It had it until I bought it a few hours ago :)

• Advertisement

Great for you so I will not ask my friend !!

Advertisement