Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Saorview box reformatted my Hard Drive or is there a problem with my WDTV?

Options
  • 25-04-2012 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have a Western Digital TV Mini Media Player with a 500 GB WD Element Hard Drive.

I plugeed my Hard drive into a Saorview Triax TR112, it identified the HD as 'udska1', whereas it is normally known as 'Element', it also only found about a dozen films from the a-b range.

Not able to find the film I was looking for I set the HD back up with my WD TV.

Now I can only find a dozen movies, or what I think ar movies, there is just chinese script where the title used to be.

I then plugged the harddrive back into the Saorview box and I can still only find a dozen movies. I tried to check the HD on my computer and it only shows as e:/Local Disk

Has the Saorview box formatted my HD?

Any ideas how I can get access to my movies through the WD TV?

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Yeah, quite possible it has formatted the drive or trashed the file table.

The movies will mostly still be on the drive because it takes hours to physically overwrite the actual 1s and 0s on the drive platter(s). So chances of recovery are quite high provided you don't feck it up further.

Its a computers issue now, I would post in the Computers section or Windows section. You are looking to recover the files on the drive.

Don't plug the drive into anything, computer or otherwise until you've gotten further advice. And also wait for second opinions because some posters will just spit out the first thing that comes into their head.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Moved here at request of OP - perhaps someone can help out with advice about the hard drive in this case.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I had this problem once where all my movies disappeared from the WDTV connected 2tb HDD.
    Plug the HDD into your PC, dialog box may ask you"repair the filing system on the disk", click yes then open the disk once done. Delete the WDTV folder when you get access.
    Unplug (all power off) the power from the WDTV for 30 seconds, then power again and restart it. Connect the USB drive to The WDTV and the file table/system folder and all your movies should re-appear.
    Hope that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

do not power off the drive when attached to the pc, or any other device,that,ll make your problem worse.
    i knocked off my drive,5 years ago,now many folders,have weird garbage names, but i can still acess all the files,inside the folders.or knock off pc , first then knock off drive after pc is fully powered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

riclad wrote: »
    do not power off the drive when attached to the pc, or any other device,that,ll make your problem worse.
    The WDTV does not have a drive and the power can be turned off while the unit itself is already turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds like an arsed up file system to me and I would expect this to work:
    Sup08 wrote: »
    I had this problem once where all my movies disappeared from the WDTV connected 2tb HDD.
    Plug the HDD into your PC, dialog box may ask you"repair the filing system on the disk", click yes then open the disk once done. Delete the WDTV folder when you get access.
    Unplug (all power off) the power from the WDTV for 30 seconds, then power again and restart it. Connect the USB drive to The WDTV and the file table/system folder and all your movies should re-appear.
    Hope that works.

Advertisement