Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings

Options
  • 25-04-2012 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

This seems like the most appropriate forum.

I live in an old famrhouse and a group of Starlings (at least I think it is, my Dad was watching them and is adamant its Starlings) have made a nest in the attic. I found a small opening under the roof of the house where there flying in and out of.

My question is, what is there nesting times during the year, how long will they remain? I have lost count how long they are there but it must be a month at least.

I don't want to seal the opening and let them die inside, I'd rather let them off and close it after.

Although does anyone have any methods of getting rid of them?

They are nested in the attic right over my bedroom :mad: I'm sick of listening to them :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

hello,

starlings chicks are now under a week old. They should have fledged by mid May. All will be quiet when they have gone

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Starlings can have two to three broods in a breeding season. They tend to fledge three weeks after hatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Nothing you can do till chicks leave the nest. Cheapo ear plugs from woodies etc. might help in the meantime.

I have them in the same spot, above my window to the right in the attic.
    I like them being there. I feed the parents a lot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks. I'll wait the 2/3 weeks until they have gone and seal it up.

• Advertisement

Like Kess says they can be double brooded. My experience from watching those that nest in my house is some years they lose their chicks within days of them fledging and lay again very quickly.

If you are planning to close the hole I would do it within days of the chicks fledging but ...

... I'd bet the adults will find another hole under the tiles of the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Like Kess says they can be double brooded. My experience from watching those that nest in my house is some years they lose their chicks within days of them fledging and lay again very quickly.

If you are planning to close the hole I would do it within days of the chicks fledging but ...

... I'd bet the adults will find another hole under the tiles of the roof

I have a Starling family nesting in my house every season for the past decade and they have never double brooded. They are always very quick to get the young up and out asap. ;)

Double brooded probably isnt the correct term for what I'm referring to but I have seen them produce a second brood most years.

Male starlings can be a terrible pest when it comes to sharing their nest site with swifts. They guard their nests for a long time after chicks are fledged and stop swifts getting in

Mark

Advertisement