Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon is a Stupid Sport

Options
  • 25-04-2012 4:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted before. Robbed from cycling...

http://charliebroadway.blogspot.com/2011/01/triathlon-is-stupid-sport.html
    I take what I call a journalistic interest in a variety of sports. If I didn't write, I wouldn't waste my time learning about them. But when you are a writer, you learn everything about everything. In the case of various sports, I can tell you all sorts of things about surfing, mountain biking, rock climbing, bowling, scuba diving, or what have you. I learn a lot about these activities, and I talk with people who do them. Every one of the people I have talked to have been charitable types willing to indulge my curiosity. But there is an exception. Triathletes are that exception.

Triathletes are douchebags. If you doubt this, go to any messageboard for any single sport like running, swimming, and cycling and declare that you are a proud triathlete. You will be showered with invective. People will hate on you, and you will think it might be envy. But it isn't. Triathletes are huge ****ing assholes. The sport and the douchebag personality go together.

Triathlon began as a sport in the 70's concurrent with the running boom that took off and remains with us today. Those early triathletes were pretty cool people. Basically, they could swim and took up either running or cycling as a second sport. In those early days, triathletes were kinda weird and gnarly much like ultrarunners are today. It was during this time that the famous Ironman Triathlon was created and would go on to become the most recognized tri-event in the world. The M-dot logo would become a valuable trademark, and that is where things began to turn wrong in that sport.

Nobody has a copyright on the word "marathon." But imagine if someone did. Imagine if you had a 26.2 mile race, but you had to pay to call it a marathon. Suddenly, you are in a ****ty deal. Now imagine you want to qualify for the Boston Marathon, but you have to run a marathon in order to do it. The only marathons recognized are the ones that paid to be called a marathon. Suddenly, you have control. A group of people are going to get rich off of a trademark that no one else can use. Of course, this scenario is ridiculous. But this is the deal in triathlon. You can't use the Ironman name much less the logo without paying for the privilege. You might say this is no big deal, but the reality is that everyone wants to complete an Ironman event for the bragging rights.

The result of this arrangement is that entry fees for these events are high--very high. With other events like marathons and 5K's, the money made goes to charitable endeavors and maintaining the race. This is one reason why municipalities are willing to let organizers use their streets. It is for a good cause and promotes health. An Ironman is different. It is about profit. This is why marathoning is so egalitarian while triathlon is elitist.

Without a doubt, triathlon and the Ironman are well organized. But those events are expensive. The entry fee for last year's Hawaii Ironman was $550. The entry fee for the Boston Marathon is $130. The entry fee for the New York City Marathon is $196. The entry fee for Western States is $295. Now, these races aren't cheap. They require a lot of logistical support, aid, refreshments, and the like. But you can run Boston for less than your electric bill. Plus, you can drive or take the bus. You can't do that with the Hawaii Ironman unless you live in Hawaii. You automatically have to tack on airfare for the Ironman.

The next barrier is the time needed to train for triathlon. World class runners train for less than 20 hours per week. An amateur triathlete needs 20 hours per week just to be decent. The optimum is 25+ hours per week. This is a heavy time commitment. Only someone extremely dedicated is going to pull this off or has sponsorship enabling them to quit their day job.

The next aspect is the cost of training and equipment. Triathletes drop $4000-$5000 on the bike, and $400 on the wet suit. This does not include all the accessories that go with this **** like a cycling computer, membership at the Y, etc. Between time, entry fees, and costs of gear, who can afford to do this sport or even want to do it?

The average salary of a tri-geek is $150,000. So, you guessed who wants to do this sport--elitist pricks with bull**** jobs and money to burn. And since they often go to the same places as runners, swimmers, and cyclists, they run into these other people who don't make $150K a year with their MBA or JD and leave a very bad impression. The bottom line is that triathlon is a contrived piece of **** sport peopled with colossal assholes who want to claim another accomplishment for their resumes. Since they buy so much expensive ****, equipment makers line up to market to these twits.

If you come away with the impression that triathlon is the McMansion of sports, you would be correct. Triathlon makes golf look cheap and egalitarian by comparison. There are dirtbag runners, mountain bikers, rock climbers, surfers, etc. Ultrarunner Anton Krupicka often lives out of the back of his pickup in order to indulge his sport. But there are no dirtbag triathletes. Triathlon is a money sport. Supporters of triathlon will tell you that you can do a triathlon with a mountain bike you got from Walmart. But don't think they won't be laughing at you because they will.

Of course, triathletes are silly ****ers anyway. You can see by the way they dress for the event:
    tri%2Bfag.jpg

I realize that all sports require wearing some silly stuff. But this takes the cake. This outfit would look cool on a chick. It doesn't look so good on a dude. I know. This is a cheap shot. But I wanted to get that lick in before I took my beating in the comments section.

Triathlon isn't really a sport but the narcissistic indulgence of rich assholes. The competition can't be that fierce since your annual salary is as much a factor as your genetics and your training. It is a status symbol. That's it. These rich assholes do this sport instead of opting for one of the single sports because it seems so awesome that they can suck at three disciplines instead of one. It is like getting a 2.0 at Harvard. People just hear Harvard and assume you're smart instead of being the brat of well-connected rich parents. The symbol is what matters not what it signifies. Triathlon is a way that pricks can tell the world that they are awesome and rich and better than you. Now you know why all the other cyclists want to kick the triathlete's ass at the century ride.

UPDATE: This post has generated a great deal of feedback thanks to somebody posting the link over at Slowtwitch. The overwhelming response just indicates to me that I hit my target. I'm not apologizing for anything I've written. Triathletes are assholes.

I'm weird, but I don't admire sports where the outcome can be determined by one's income. Poor people might participate in triathlon, but I suspect they are denigrated by their wealthier peers in the sport. Every triathlete I have ever met has been a carbon copy of the Brad Pitt character in Burn After Reading--a douche.

There's a bit more on the blog if interested...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

He's right, Burn After Reading wasn't one of their better efforts. Fargo is much better, but No Country for Old Men is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Are you having second thoughts . . .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you having second thoughts . . .

Me? I'm not doing any tris? Doing a couple of running races using a swim and cycle to warm up though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But Brad Pitt's character was a nice guy, wasn't he? Not very bright, perhaps, but he just wanted to help Frances McDormand out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I didn't read much of that but, a great portion of Triathletes are dickheads.

Every race I go too has its percentage of dicks that are so caught up in themselves they don't give a **** about anyone around them. Skipping queues, walking into you without looking, general doucheness.

At Laoise on Saturday my OH said to me after about 30 minutes of hanging around waiting for my wave.. "I'd fogotten how many dickheads show up to races".

That said I have met some very nice people at races over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I really wish Charlie would get off the fence on this one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    I didn't read much of that but, a great portion of Triathletes are dickheads.

Every race I go too has its percentage of dicks that are so caught up in themselves they don't give a **** about anyone around them. Skipping queues, walking into you without looking, general doucheness.

At Laoise on Saturday my OH said to me after about 30 minutes of hanging around waiting for my wave.. "I'd fogotten how many dickheads show up to races".

That said I have met some very nice people at races over the years.

QFT

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree with the article while at the same time thinking 'but he doesnt mean me, of course'.

I take consolation from the fact that I dont earn 150 grand a year, am constantly broke, have not got the latest bling and gadgets (well not ALL of them) and wouldnt wear that outfit in a blue fit (and Im a girl). So that means Im not a douche. Definitely. Not me, no sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Is he not confusing 'Ironman' (the brand) with Triathlon (the sport)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Maybe he is wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I think the article is a load of crap, but does touch on some home truths in fairness.

- My understanding of The IM brand is expensive and somewhat of a money making enterprise
    - Triathlon is not a cheap sport, and in that sense could be considered "elitist".

The main problem with the article, is the authors allocation of all triathletes as assholes for no apparent reason really other than participating in a sport that isn't cheap to compete in. And that's about it.

I started off triathlons and in my first year managed to keep to a reasonable budget. I say reasonable, the following are still required:
    - Wetsuit - €200-€500
    - Road Bike - €1,000 +
    - Helmet, training gear - €200+
    - Race entry fees
    - travel costs to races (in most cases)
    - associated training costs - equipment consumables, foods, memberships/pool fees etc.

I did manage to sneak an upgrade of wheels for a combined birthday present from family so that could go on as well, but was a want not a requirement.

So we're talking €1,500 + (closer to €2k+ really) really just to get started.
    That's an expensive investment to make starting off in anything...

The thing is it's 3 sports, and has the associated costs with all obviously.
    Clearly biking can be the significant larger cost, but that is on personal requirements/budgets and not a need.
    Would it stop you from improving, No.
    Would it stop you from winning, possibly but only if you're within a few minutes of 1st place.

I couldn't have afforded to start triathlons in my early 20's, it would have been very tight.
    It's harsh to call a sport elitist just because it deals with 3 disciplines and costs can be significant though.

On the other subject, I can honestly say I've never met anyone at any races or training etc that I wouldn't consider a nice person.
    Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't think the sport attracts or inherits Assholes other than those that are assholes in life in general anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

He talks a load of crap in some regards.

The cost of holding an IM. When the elites finish in 8hrs and in a marathon its sub 3. Therefore attendance of staff, road closures and any costs which run by the hour will be nearly triple.

Same goes for non elites. Many Ironmen have 17 hour cut off, that requires the course to be attended possibly again 3 x longer than a marathon. Perhaps 6 hours !

Far more coordination an sheer distances covered by the course, the bike leg obviously spreads the course to afra greater area than a marathon course.

Therefore it is very easy to substantiate 3 x the fee for IM than a marathon.

Also unlike a Marathon the swim leg and bike leg particulalty could not be open to all comers. It would be WAY to dangerous. The course has a safe capacity, the swim is scary enough as it is.

His point about qualifying is ridiculous, its a neccesity.

He does confuse Triathlon generally with IM as you can do a sprint or Oly for cheaper prices and that again boils down to less attendane, coordination and facilities.

Like any sport there are douches.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Ignore the article - its just Samantha Brick writing under a triathlon hating pseudonym.

;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hootini wrote: »
    Ignore the article - its just Samantha Brick writing under a triathlon hating pseudonym.

;)

Sure that would be "Everyone hates me because I'm a triathlete"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Sure that would be "Everyone hates me because I'm a triathlete"?

Same thing really. People only realised Brick was beautiful because she told them. How do you recognise a triathlete? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you.

It's a great rant, well constructed. Seems to me it's aimed at those on slowtwitch and he's bang on about Ironman (c)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Had to laugh at the thread over in cycling. The main comment seemed to be a call out for a 'Mr. Tunney' to make an appearance, preseumably to defend the 'honour' of the two piece tri-underwear photo.

Advertisement