Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Higher or A level?

Options
  • 25-04-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi there,

I would appreciate anybody who could offer any insight on the choice between these two courses. I completed my Leaving Cert back in 2006, but I want to raise my Maths knowledge by completing another exam.

The Project Maths course appears to be compromised in the opinion of many on this board, would it make more sense to study for the UK A level Maths course instread? An A* in A level gets you 150 points, whereas an A1 in Project Maths will nab you 125.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well purely because of the UK system in which you study less subjects, studying A level maths should bring you up to a higher level than LC maths.

And if you wanted to do even more you could do further maths. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 questiontime2

Well purely because of the UK system in which you study less subjects, studying A level maths should bring you up to a higher level than LC maths.

And if you wanted to do even more you could do further maths. :pac:

These are very valid points:) Not to mention the syllabus is pretty much set in stone at this point. I have no doubt the project maths couse will get better with time, but the lack of exam material and the layout of the course at present is...a mess. Too experimental at present.

Anybody else who is in this situtation, I have found a couple of brilliant links to all past papers and material for A Level Maths. Royalty free of course provided it's for private use. http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/ and http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/maths-revision/index.php#Core

Advertisement