Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare

Options
  • 25-04-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Do employers have to fill out social welfare dockets for employees that only work 3 day a week or is it up to the employees to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

Funny - was just having a row discussion with Revenue about this and whether it's taxable or not.

Are you referring to a situation where a full-time employee has had hours reduced due to a lack of available work? If so I believe the employer has to complete (and sign) the form.

I think it's a different matter if you employ someone on a 3 day week (as opposed to reducing their hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chuck mc

Yes the employees have had their hours reduced. SO we do have to fill out the weekly forms of what days they work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 accountant101

Employer has to fill in the form....they are effectively claiming their stamp for the other 3 days...its jobseekers benefit and it is taxable!!

Employer has to fill in the form....they are effectively claiming their stamp for the other 3 days...its jobseekers benefit and it is taxable!!

Job seekers benefit is not taxable where the recipient is employed in short-term employment. Section 126(3)(c) Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997.

Short-term work is where the number of working days has been systematically reduced to less than the number of days in a normal working week in the employment concerned.

Nevertheless, the tax status of the SW payment is of no concern to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

chuck mc wrote: »
    Do employers have to fill out social welfare dockets for employees that only work 3 day a week or is it up to the employees to do this?
    As far as i know the employers stopped having to do it over 2 yrs ago as it was the case most ee's were on 3 day wk.
    A letter was sent to social office stating ee on 3 day wk& after that it is up to the employee to have their dockets in every wk. social welfare are meant to do spot checks then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 chuck mc

So really there no way of NOT filling the X and O 's (days worked and not workes) on the weekly job seekers benefit forms for employees - just have to like and lump it?

billybunty wrote: »
    As far as i know the employers stopped having to do it over 2 yrs ago as it was the case most ee's were on 3 day wk.
    A letter was sent to social office stating ee on 3 day wk& after that it is up to the employee to have their dockets in every wk. social welfare are meant to do spot checks then!

You could well be right. But I have heard of employers being requested to do it recently, which would suggest the employee has been asked to get the employer to do this. It could also vary from on local office to the next.
    chuck mc wrote: »
    So really there no way of NOT filling the X and O 's (days worked and not workes) on the weekly job seekers benefit forms for employees - just have to like and lump it?

Maybe not if billybunty is correct. A call to your local SW office might clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 evopat41

Hi, was wondering if you could define what social welfare consider to be a fulltime course is, i am starting a fetac level 5 course in Oct, and would need to apply for bte, as i will have extra costs like petrol etc. The course is monday-friday, 9.30-1.30. i was just wondering if this would be classed as a fulltime course, cus i dont think you are eligible for bte if it is part time. I am a dependent on my partners jobseekers allowance. any advice woud be great. Thanks.

Advertisement