Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Driver with no credit card Car Hire

Options
  • 25-04-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am a 23 year old Irish man living in the uk but I am flying home for the may bank holiday. I have tried to a hire a car from dublin airport for the long weekend but with no luck as I dont have a credit card. Also the majority of companies don't want to hire to under 25s also unless you pay a steep insurance fee. I was hoping to spend less than 100 euro. Am i hoping for too much?

Has anybody got any ideas? :):)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll be honest. It can be quite tricky for someone without a Credit Card to hire a car. For the simple reason that payment is usually taken upon return of the vehicle to fund additional costs that they may hit you with, i.e. going over a millage limit or damage. For them, it's a guarentee of remuneration and insurance against you running off with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You can do it, but you need to leave a savage deposit, usually 800 - 1000 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ does cars for <25 year olds for a surcharge and do accept debit cards and for the holiday weekend it was up on 180euro including all surcharges and extra insurances.

If you ring them (I know, old fashioned thing to be at this phone call business) you'll get an answer straight away on what deposits and costs you would incur if renting from them

but either way, the combination of age and lack of credit card is really limiting your chances of getting a cheap car.

And you do have your licence for 2 years already I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dandoyler

thanks for the help, ye i have the a full license since I was 18 but dont think it makes any differance,

it would want to be a bmw for 180 :D

Advertisement