Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying iPad 3 questions/advice

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

First apologies if there is already a thread on this!

Now here is my dilemma.
    I have iPad 1 (3G wifi 32gb) currently. Had been looking into getting the hdmi cable to connect to my dell computer monitor and tv. Realised that my iPad would have to be jail broken to view more than video and picture. So was planning to jailbreak after my exams.

But now, have the option to get the new iPad (iPad 3) in the states from a relative. Now I'd like to know if the hdmi cable will mirror everything you do on the iPad 3? Like will it mirror a tv show from safari, ie live movie/tv streaming from safari?(without jail breaking!)

Will go with 16gb wifi only this time as never used 3G last time around. Another question, about jail breaking, if you do it, successfully, can you revert to original settings without apple ever knowing you jail broke? Say if I need to use the warranty, will they know I had it jail broken!
    I'd be jail breaking maybe to tether from iPhone 5 if I go with a unlimited data plan when it comes out.

Any comment/answers/opinions etc would be greatly appreciately!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm not sure about the HDMI cable tbh. I have never gone that route myself.

You could pickup a cheap 2nd gen Apple TV which will allow you to use Airplay to stream Audio/Video to a TV (no jailbreak involved).

If you jailbreak, you can go back to the standard installation quite easilly via a restore. What's worth noting however is that if something goes wrong and, for instance, the screen goes boom, then it'll make the process more awkward. Personally I stay away from Jailbreaking. I've never seen a case where either the trade in in stability or the extra crappiness in the user experience warranted the benefit.

The Apple TV will do mirroring like you want. I'd recommend that option myself, though others here will have different opinions no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The cable for the iPad1 does not work on iPad3 as far as I know.

Jailbreaking is really only for pirating or if you want to change the UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

squonk wrote: »

If you jailbreak, you can go back to the standard installation quite easilly via a restore. What's worth noting however is that if something goes wrong and, for instance, the screen goes boom, then it'll make the process more awkward. Personally I stay away from Jailbreaking.
    A broken screen will have no effect whatsoever on restoring. You don't have to do anything other than click restore in iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

First, thanks for the apple tv input. Hadn't considered or even knew what that was all about. Looked it up though and it is an option, but not the one for me at this time. Thanks all the same.

The cable I'm talking about is the apple hdmi connection cable which allows you to connect a hdmi cable to your iPad and mirror the screen activity for iPad 2/3.

What I'm trying to find out is what the limits are with this apple hdmi connection!?

As for jail breaking, I would only consider that, on a new device, as a last resort really. I dont want to 'brick' my new device!!

Advertisement