Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water or Cold Water?

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Should I brush my teeth with hot or cold water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Should I brush my teeth with hot or cold water?

Toothpaste?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I dont know anyone that uses hot water op!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Toothpaste?

That made me laugh out loud. Smartass.

I dont know anyone that uses hot water op!

Jesus, I have for the last 5 or 6 years. Think I read it somewhere once that it's better for your teeth, or else just dreamed it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It may make the toothpaste foam a bit more but anything else i wouldnt have a clue..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

My hubby uses hot water, as do all his family.
    I find it really weird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

well i've started using warm water - you wash everything else with hot water, why not your teeth?!

jameshayes wrote: »
    well i've started using warm water - you wash everything else with hot water, why not your teeth?!

That makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I use hot water too. Just find it softens the brush a bit and feels more comfortable esp on a cold winter morning (like today...).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

I also use warm water. Periodontist recommended it to me a few years ago because I have some gum recession and it does soften the toothbrush. Also helps if you’ve sensitive teeth. Didn’t really consider it to be odd before….

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The toothbrush will be at body temperature very quickly once inside your gob along with small amount of water on it, the temperature of the water doesn't matter really. You should be using a soft brush regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Yeh periodontist also recommended using a very soft toothbrush. Surprisingly the majority of toothbushes in shops are medium or hard. Would these generally be too hard, especially if you had some gum recession? I know brushing technique is also a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The toothbrush will be at body temperature very quickly once inside your gob along with small amount of water on it, the temperature of the water doesn't matter really. You should be using a soft brush regardless.

funny thing is, i remember a lecture given yonks ago by listerine, where they said that a soft brush will allow the toothpaste to sink into the bristles of the brush, thus allowing more contact between the abrasive in the toothpaste and the tooth surface, causing more wear than a medium toothbrush.

it was one of the 4 things i remember from dental school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I know its only a small amount of water but hot water isn't clean enough to put in my mouth IMO.

Advertisement