Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Level competitions

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

So I'm thinking of starting a sparring Club in UCC
    This is not specific to any particular discipline, bit like MMA but without ground work, mostly focusing around Muay thai, TKD, kick boxing ect.

At the moment there's 8 of us who train weekly and have been for the past year however these training sessions haven't been recognised as a club yet so that's my plan come september.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any college level tournaments as I'd like to have a goal set if I was starting a club! Even if you know of any organisation that deals with college students and not specifically registered martial arts organisations and clubs!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

MMA without ground... Sounds like you are talking about Sanshou
    Although some Chinese boxing formats allow 15 seconds on the ground international Sanshou rules do not. The ICBA run comps regularily, Dublin and Mayo with teams from all over ireland, there's info a few posts down.
    I teach Tai chi Chuan geared towards Sanshou and tuishou (no jacket stand up wrestling) in UCD. Perhaps we could arrange some Intervarsities for next year?
    Best of luck,
    N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Kickboxing and boxing intervarsities?
    There's BJJ, Judo and Submission grappling intervarsities too if you ever decide to include grappling.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

I'd be weary of having a little fight club in college which isn't acting under the remit of the UCC clubs and socs organisation. Especially in terms of insurance and public liability. If you are organising these sessions, it is implied that you re responsible for them. One of your TKD guys gives one of the MT guys a kick in the nose and the MT responds with a shin in the head you may be liable for any injury as well as vulnerable to college discipline.

There is no full contact kickboxing intervarsities that I am aware of. There are plenty of semi-contact or light contact stuff.

There really isn't any such thing as 'college level' anyway. You want a novice level, not too many of those competitions on either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Don't think there's any problem with full contact, I personally have 2 sports achievement awards from UCD 2001 & 2002 for winning international Sanshou competitions (Chinese full contact - kick punch throw elbow knee)
    Teaching in UCD I had to give them copies of my coach insurance prior to being appointed.

Edit:
    Maybe there are no full contact Intervarsities at the moment, but everything is created at some point. There were no Intervarsities in tui shou until the practical tai chi Chuan clubs in Oxford, Cambridge, Trinity and UCD started them in 2000. I was captain of UCD club the time.

If you want to do something next year pm me.

All te best,
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

[Quote/] There really isn't any such thing as 'college level' anyway. You want a novice level, not too many of those competitions on either.[/Quote]

Not sure I'd ever want to tag novice and college as the same. Back when I was in college I remember the standard being pretty high from some of the folks there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tritium wrote: »
    Not sure I'd ever want to tag novice and college as the same. Back when I was in college I remember the standard being pretty high from some of the folks there

Tends to vary from year to year as people take interest in competition and progress, new people join, and others graduate and leave. The UCD san shou / tai chi chuan club is starting to develop some solid competitors again after a few years of a lull. I think inter-varsities cater well for novices as well as higher abilities and make for a great first competition for those interested in giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Steba wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of starting a sparring Club in UCC
    This is not specific to any particular discipline, bit like MMA but without ground work,

C
    intervarsity nogi grappling competition this weekend in dcu.
    bit like mma without all that silly stand up business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

You Sir are a Cadd and a bounder!

You mean its like an MMA fight that skips the only actual exciting part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Peetrik wrote: »

You Sir are a Cadd and a bounder!

You mean its like an MMA fight that skips the only actual exciting part :)
    To each his own ha. Just had a lotta people in my day (my relatively short day) askme about doin mma without the ground work. People that have heard of boxing and muay Thai but still ask me this.
    Just a phrase that's one of my pet peeves

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Cheers for the replies,

Just like to clarify a few things, first of all the "club" that we've been doing up to now isn't on a very public level, in the way that I know all the lads that I'm training with and I've stressed several times that if they fight outside the club ( not taking self defence into account, cause that was one of the primary reasons I started this, I think its a life skill! ) they're out! Simple as that. And on that note, I know the lads that I train with and I can vouch for each of them in regards to their maturity levels, this is purely recreational at the moment!

But I can see this could be potentially problematic if I opened it up publicly. Potentially.

Just about myself, I've 5 years TKD experience, not a black belt but I've plenty of trophies and awards to stand to my name. From a muay thai perspective, I've nothing yet as far as awards but I've been training for 2 years.

Then there's 2 black belts in TKD that help me train the lads and another muay thai member there. So it isn't just a bunch of aggressive lads hitting each other! This is also one of the reasons that I say we're at a "college" level, there are a lot of different skill sets, so saying novice is a little shy of de-valuing ( for want of a better word) for some! For others, its exactly where they're at!

We do have a BJJ club in UCC but the point of this "club" was to give lads that had to give up their training outside UCC up, a chance to keep up their fitness and keep sparring! But with the amount of interest that's been displayed in this, I wouldn't mind making it a little more official and train towards a goal!
    @Niall, I might get back onto you in September and see where everything is at then! Originally I was just wondering if there were any existing competitions around! But if there's none then someone really should start something! I'll have plenty of time with my 9 hour weeks next year so would definitely be looking to start something!

Cheers to all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement