Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing engine

Options
  • 25-04-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

07 Peugeot 207 just been told engine is gone (no compression in one cylinder) 1500 euro to put in a 2nd hand engine
    Is it worth my while? Or put 1500 towards something else?:confused:
    (Just replaced fuel pump 4 weeks ago)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Welcome:)

Your thread wasn't DIY, so I've moved it to the main motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 geri72

Thx! my first time on so just getting used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Petrol or diesel?

Did they give an explanation of why there was no compression? There are causes of a lack of compression which could be repaired for less the a replacement engine......I wouldn't except a new engine being required until they could tell you what exactly has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 geri72

Petrol

No not exactly-I have got various reasons but it finished yesterday with they are saying its leaking oil (but no oil oight came in)
    or possibly a valve went in the cylinder

They are sating to 100% know I would have to get the engine stripped which would be bout 300-400 euro and would solve nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

geri72 wrote: »
    Petrol

No not exactly-I have got various reasons but it finished yesterday with they are saying its leaking oil (but no oil oight came in)
    or possibly a valve went in the cylinder

They are sating to 100% know I would have to get the engine stripped which would be bout 300-400 euro and would solve nothing

With correct tools and knowledge they should be able to tell you exactly what has happened without stripping anything.

Oil leaking into a cylinder can't, in any way, cause a complete lack of compression.

IMHO its just much easier for them, rather then cheaper for you, to replace the engine then to actually properly diagnose and repair the problem.

Is this a main dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Then engine in the 207 is a BMW unit with a very complex variable valve lift and variable valve timing set up. I'd be checking the valve timing also.
    Be careful the problem is diagnosed correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

Ya that's a few story's now I've heard of garages shying away from stripping engines it's abit of a joke are there no decent mechanics in theses places like even if if dropped Afew valves your looking at replacing valves head gasket and Afew other seals also a small bit of other checks to make sure everything is ok but in fairness for them to replace the valves and check no rods r bent and put everything back together shouldn't cost more the 600e as I said the one of the lads on heat earlier I only done a head and chain on a Bmw last week and that was the price in and around so I don't no why ur being quoted 1500 my advice would be take the car from there and get it checked by some one abit more knowlagble

Advertisement