Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical card

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

I have a medical card that expires December 2012. If my circumstances have not changed will I be sent a new one automatically or do I have to reapply to get the next one. I need to know now because If i do have to reapply it may take months to get it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

i got a reminder sent out by post that mine was due for renewal they were bang on sent it out mths before it was due to expire, you just have to fill out something to say your circumstances havent changed, you dont have to go through the whole process again, they give u a pin then so u can track the progress of it online , have to say i got mine pretty quick considering there was a back log...u should be fine if ur circumstances havent changed,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

my card was due for renewal in October 2011, they sent a form end of July , made me jump through hoops, requested same documents over and over, requested documents not relevant to my renewal, extended it month by month until it was approved in December 2011. My circumstances had not changed.

I am STILL waiting for return of documents since September 2011. My advice is to have all documents photo-copied and form filled out correctly.

IMHO they should never have centralised the medical card section.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

My one bit of advise is to send everything to them by Registered mail, took me over 6 months to get my medical card back because they lost everything to do with it, or so they say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I got a reminder form that I just had to sign since my circumstances had not changed and got my card back about a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I got a reminder form that I just had to sign since my circumstances had not changed and got my card back about a month later.

exact same as this, we got the renewal letter, circumstances were the same so just signed and sent back and got the cards within 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Agree - they will probably send you a 'renewal form'. A few months beforehand. Personally i'd register anything to med card dept after my experience of waiting 8 months for it, they claimed to have not recieved, lost my certs etc. A cynical way to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

I didn't get a form re renewal but I got medical card for my daughter and I in the post today, valid until December 2014... my circumstances have changed slightly (rise of about 100 a month and mortgage gone down by about 100 a month), I wasn't sure would I be entitled or not as I know I only barely scraped it when I was applying... strange? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We are the same, my wages have gone up by €5 per week, but after the budget we're down an average of €28 per week. The cards were up in Jan and new cards arrived the day before yesterday. Such a relief. We haven't had to use them at all the the last year, but still great to know we have them for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

juru wrote: »
    Hi

I have a medical card that expires December 2012. If my circumstances have not changed will I be sent a new one automatically or do I have to reapply to get the next one. I need to know now because If i do have to reapply it may take months to get it.

Thanks

You should have got a Review Form in Sept/Oct. Are you sure you did'nt get it? If you did & failed to return it, your card may be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

I have a medical card which runs out in September.
    Last month I received a long questionnaire asking how much land I owned, number of bank accounts etc., all to be returned to Finglas by mid-April. Two weeks later they sent a letter saying that I had not returned the form and if it did not arrive by the due date I would lose my card.
    Two questions:
      What kind of moron sends out a reminder 7/8 weeks before the due date?
      Why do all public employees write/speak in bullying terms? (See the b!tch who chairs the Revenue commissioners talking about the household tax).

Here is the irony. The HSE have no discretion in my case: they are legally obliged to give me one, regardless of my income or assets, as I worked in another EU country. Yet they are wasting time and money on this crap!

• Advertisement

I have a medical card which runs out in September.
    Last month I received a long questionnaire asking how much land I owned, number of bank accounts etc., all to be returned to Finglas by mid-April. Two weeks later they sent a letter saying that I had not returned the form and if it did not arrive by the due date I would lose my card.
    Two questions:
      What kind of moron sends out a reminder 7/8 weeks before the due date?
      Why do all public employees write/speak in bullying terms? (See the b!tch who chairs the Revenue commissioners talking about the household tax).

Here is the irony. The HSE have no discretion in my case: they are legally obliged to give me one, regardless of my income or assets, as I worked in another EU country. Yet they are wasting time and money on this crap!

When you get the Review Form, afaik you have 4 weeks to return it. If you did'nt, then they will write to you again as they have. If you are claiming on EU grounds, all you have to do is provide a copy of your weekly/monthly/annual payslip to show the source of your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

When you get the Review Form, afaik you have 4 weeks to return it. If you did'nt, then they will write to you again as they have. If you are claiming on EU grounds, all you have to do is provide a copy of your weekly/monthly/annual payslip to show the source of your income.

They wrote to me weeks BEFORE I had to return the form. Why?

They wrote to me weeks BEFORE I had to return the form. Why?

I don't know. Did you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Surely better to write to you in advance rather than a week before your card is about to expire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

My medical card is out in May, They sent me a new card on Wednesday - I didnt even have to reapply. I'm so greatful for the medical card though. And I never abuse it. I was on up in Dublin last week for a few days and became sick from food poisioning. Went to a doctor that didnt accept medical card and between that and the prescription, set me back €75

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Surely better to write to you in advance rather than a week before your card is about to expire?

+1.

What should happen is that a Review Form is sent out 3 months before the expiry of the card. The cardholder is asked to return the form within 28 days. It then goes to a Deciding Officer. If approved, the form is sent to the issuing office approx 4 weeks before expiry of the card. The new card will issue in the 1-2 weeks before expiry of the old card. Since the transfer of all card processing to the central office in Finglas, I'm not sure if these deadlines sre being adhered to.

Advertisement