Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of 'cuid'

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering does the plural or single follow cuid.
    For example: would 'my ideas' be 'mo chuid smaointe' or 'mo chuid smaointí'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The genitive follows after cuid, be that the genitive singular or genitive plural, whichever applies. Also, a noun following on from cuid does not get a séimhiú, despite cuid being feminine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

68508224 wrote: »

"Cuid" requires the use of the Tuiseal Ginideach, so the form of the word that follows it will depend on which díochlaonadh/"declension" that noun is in.

Edit: or, what pog it said. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

68508224 wrote: »

As already explained, it can be either, as long as they're in the genitive case.

Note that 'smaointe' and 'smaointí' are both plural forms. The first is the plural of the word 'smaoineamh' that is accepted in the official written standard (An Caighdeán Oifigiúil). 'Smaointí' is a dialectic variation of that (Donegal I think, though I'm open to correction on that), but it's still a plural form of the noun.

Another example of this would be 'áit' (place). The Official Standard plural of this is 'áiteanna', but the plural form in the Connemara dialect is 'áiteachaí'.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Gael wrote: »

Note that 'smaointe' and 'smaointí' are both plural forms. The first is the plural of the word 'smaoineamh' that is accepted in the official written standard (An Caighdeán Oifigiúil). 'Smaointí' is a dialectic variation of that (Donegal I think, though I'm open to correction on that), but it's still a plural form of the noun.

Another example of this would be 'áit' (place). The Official Standard plural of this is 'áiteanna', but the plural form in the Connemara dialect is 'áiteachaí'.

I've heard "smaointí" used but cant pin down where.
    'Smaointíocha' is whats said in Donegal with 'smaointiú' being the singular thought. The 'n' is often mute too.
    'Smaointe' is what my Munster and Western friends say and is the written standard.
    Also 'áiteacha' is said in Donegal for 'places'.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Go raibh míle maith agaibh. Ní raibh mé cinnte. Tá saibhreas eolas agam anois:)

On a seperate note maybe someone could help me with the free-verb/saorbhriathar. In an essay I'm writing I want to say 'It puts pressure on them.'
    Which would be more correct? 'Cuireann sé brú orthu' or 'Cuirtear brú orthu'
    It's for Leaving Cert Irish so I suppose I'm asking in relation to An Caighdeán Oifigiúil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Is there ever a situation where cuid maith rather than cuid mhaith would be correct?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Is there ever a situation where cuid maith rather than cuid mhaith would be correct?

"Cuid" is a feminine noun, so the adjective should always take a séimhiú (in the Tuiseal ainmneach, cuspóireach and tabharthach), i.e. always "mhaith".

Advertisement