Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the order of integration

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I have no idea how to write the question so I've scanned and attached my attempt.

The original integral, as I understand it is integrating from y=sinx to y=3sinx from o to π. (Vertical arrow)

Now I want to integrate in the direction of the horizontal arrow.

My problem is that in my graph, above y=1, I cannot integrate from x=arcsin(y/3) to x=arcsiny. I am just integrating from x=arcsin(y/3) to itself.

I suspect I need to break the graph into more than one section and present the solution as the sum of these sections but I don't know how to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I think I have solved it.

I have broken the graph into four sections. Two of the sections are to the right of x = π/2 and the other two are to the left. Because of the symmetry I can just concentrate on the left hand side and double the answer.

So now the first section I will integrate from x=arcsin(y/3) to x=arcsiny between 0 and 1.

For the second section I will integrate from x=arcsin(y/3) to x=π/2 between 1 and 3.

Now as I said already, double the sum of these integrals.

* π is pi.

Advertisement