Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Irish Leamhthuiscints!

Options
  • 24-04-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with the leamhthuiscints for Higher Our teacher is insisting that to answer them you have to quote directly from the text, as in all answers can only be direct quotes and you get 0 marks if you try to answer them in your own words. I'm just wondering if this is right or not. If so it seems to me that all they are, are glorified word-searches. Can anyone clear this up for me, I don't want to throw away 100 marks in June for a misunderstanding :) Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You definitely cant be penalised for rewording it :S Sure that was the idea for years! The Chief Examiner told my Irish teacher we are allowed to quote from the text directly but that seems ridiculously easy. I dont want to pointless lose marks for trying and failing to manipulate though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think what your teacher means is that it's safer to quote from the text. If you think about it, you can just fly through that now taking straight from the article rather than trying to rephrase it with the possibility of making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

That's what I thought but she's adiment! I really can't see it being through I mean it's taking dumbing it down to a new level :) No, it is what she means, we did one today and I changed all my answers e.g the text said "is maith liom ag dul thar lear" Which I changed to " Ta buntaisti a baineann leis an post seo, mar shampla is maith leis " ag dul thar lear" and I was told I would get 0 for changing it. Thats not word perfect btw just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

She's definitely wrong about getting 0 if you change it. If you have the right answer you have to get the marks.

I'm in pass and were not allowed use quotes at all unless you are saying something like mar a duirt sí "Quote". We don't get any marks for quotes. All the teachers in my school say that the only way to get any marks from a quote is if you explain the quote. I have heard before you get 0 marks if you use a quote on your own. Are you sure your teacher didn't mis read something.

EDIT: I just checked my notes and it says that for full marks you need to answer the question in your own words and you may use relevant quotes. It then says if you don't know the answer or how to answer try to use a quote as you may still get some marks. And that's for ordinary level. The marking scheme from 2011 (I know it was a different exam) says its a maximum of 2 marks for the information necessary to answer the question, i.e. a quote or your own words, and then the rest of the marks for for an explanation which can only be in your own words.

So basically the most marks you can get for a quotes is 2 marks per question. Direct her to the 2011 marking scheme if she disagrees.

GarIT wrote: »
    EDIT: I just checked my notes and it says that for full marks you need to answer the question in your own words and you may use relevant quotes. It then says if you don't know the answer or how to answer try to use a quote as you may still get some marks. And that's for ordinary level. The marking scheme from 2011 (I know it was a different exam) says its a maximum of 2 marks for the information necessary to answer the question, i.e. a quote or your own words, and then the rest of the marks for for an explanation which can only be in your own words.

So basically the most marks you can get for a quotes is 2 marks per question. Direct her to the 2011 marking scheme if she disagrees.
    There so much confusion over this but my teacher emailed the Chief Examiner and he said for Q's 1-5 you wont be penalised for taking answers straight from the text. I assume thats why they made Q6, to ensure we actually get it, you know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Patchy~ wrote: »
    There so much confusion over this but my teacher emailed the Chief Examiner and he said for Q's 1-5 you wont be penalised for taking answers straight from the text. I assume thats why they made Q6, to ensure we actually get it, you know? :)

If this is true - and I don't doubt you - it's absolutely ridiculous. It's no wonder nobody can speak Irish after school if that's the standard being set. It seems to me that the Irish syllabus has been dumbed down no end. I actually can't fathom it.

Patchy~ wrote: »

I understand what you are saying fully but that doesn't really make sense to me at all. For every question you get marks for explaining your answer. How can you get those marks for using a quote? If you look at the marking scheme it says 2 marks for relevant information, and +1, +2 or +3 for brief explanation of answer.

dambarude wrote: »
    If this is true - and I don't doubt you - it's absolutely ridiculous. It's no wonder nobody can speak Irish after school if that's the standard being set. It seems to me that the Irish syllabus has been dumbed down no end. I actually can't fathom it.
    GarIT wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying fully but that doesn't really make sense to me at all. For every question you get marks for explaining your answer. How can you get those marks for using a quote? If you look at the marking scheme it says 2 marks for relevant information, and +1, +2 or +3 for brief explanation of answer.
    These are my thoughts exactly!
    I dont know what the new marking scheme is like, but maybe we do still need to explain it - but that involves rewording, and we cant be penalised for not doing that. :confused:

I think they're trying to see if we know where to stop giving information maybe? Its really odd.

I really don't know at all. I just use a generic layout for my answers and I'll stick to that. We know that (Repeat the question) because the text says (relevant quote).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

No, quotes are fine. Quote as much as you want. My Irish teacher and my grinds teacher have said that, and my grinds teacher marks the papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

You dont have to change it.
    That said, at higher level a direct quote with no effort isnt gonna impress much.
    Even just using your question in your answer and changing one word here and there will go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

Ok thanks :) What notes did you get that from btw? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

In this regard, Irish scared me a little. I'm a fluent speaker, and I would always be capable of re-wording the answer appropriately (as opposed to what many people do, quote what they think is the answer - something that does not technically answer the question). I ended up giving the "correct" answer, and then quoting the appropriate text from the excerpt.

That took quite a bit of time, though, costing me one hour in total; it all worked out in the end, though, netting me my A1 :) Irish worried me a lot in this regard. I was unsure how balance what I considered appropriate answers and then giving the examiner what they wanted (mostly gushing rubbish*).

*Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration. To be more exact, I mean something like"style over substance" (in the essay/debate) for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I emailed aswell, was told as long as iomarcas was not an issue direct transcription fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

To avoid starting a new thread, what's the deal with HL Irish Q6 (b) on the comprehensions? I have absolutely no idea what to write for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

To avoid starting a new thread, what's the deal with HL Irish Q6 (b) on the comprehensions? I have absolutely no idea what to write for them.

Its either gonna be traits of the person (not much you can learn)
    or
    Genre of writing

I havent really looked at my sheet on the genre sheet yet but as far as I can remember theres like report, narrative, persuasive .. same as english really.

Ones nearly always narrative and one a report.

Advertisement