Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe wind cap

Options
  • 24-04-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey, I recently bought a pipe, so I'm still breaking it in and I've read on a number of sites that you shouldn't smoke a pipe, particularly a new one, in any sort of wind in case you burn it out. I'm just wondering if anyone uses / recommends a wind cap, and if so where could I find a decent one on a modest budget? I live in Galway btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I haven't seen one of those things for years! It was in your neck of the woods that I bought them and used them - well, near enough your neck of the woods, out in Connemara. They were known there by the name clúidín, meaning small cover. Popular with people who lived the outdoor life, like farmers and fishermen. They were quite cheap, just a few pence each in the days when a pint cost two shillings and fourpence.

Enough nostalgia: try tobacconists in areas where there are people who work in the open air.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

Cool thanks. I doubt I'll be out in the open that much so I won't kill myself looking for one, at least at the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Techniques to use if you do want to smoke in the open:
    - pack the pipe a bit more firmly
    - restrict the airflow with your hand (thumb over the bowl, or hand enveloping it)
    - draw more gently than you might when indoors.

Techniques to use if you do want to smoke in the open:
    - pack the pipe a bit more firmly
    - restrict the airflow with your hand (thumb over the bowl, or hand enveloping it)
    - draw more gently than you might when indoors.

Cool, sure I'll give it a go anyway, if the weather ever clears up! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

If you order any tobaccos or anything from the internet then there will usually be an "Accessories" section that will have the caps for under a 5-er.

If not, there is always ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2PCS-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Stainless-Steel-Wind-Cap-/130627709057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6a04a881

• Advertisement

Ah ya if I'm ever buying anything online I'll probably get one, I'm not sure if it's worth my while otherwise but at least they're cheap anyway. Thanks!

Advertisement