Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Jones do at HW?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Top 10 HW April 15th 2012 MMA Weekly

1. Junior Dos Santos
    2. Alistair Overeem
    3. Cain Velasquez
    4. Josh Barnett
    5. Frank Mir
    6. Fabricio Werdum
    7. Shane Carwin
    8. Daniel Cormier
    9. Antonio Rodrigo Nog

I reckon he'd beat Nog,Cormier and Werdum if the fight were next month without too much trouble ie just by having better stand up and using his reach as per usual (although Cormier could knock out an elephant with that swing of his if he got lucky but has no reach to contend with Bones)

..then possibly Carwin AND Mir if he had enough time to properly gain muscle mass to fight at 240-ish (and enough HW sparring time which would be key) once he could keep his distance and go for the TKO after doing some damage on his feet which he obviously can.. and he's proven he's got stand-up gas for days too! (mind you he wouldn't want to go to ground with Frank... on top or bottom)

Barnett might just have his ticket with his wiley ring craft and strength and toughness the man's a beast.

Cain would be my fav match up in years!!... I would give me left arm for that one... what an amazing fight that could be.

JDS would knock him out like a punk coz he's just that good!

Overeem would be too big coz he likes drugs n all.

what dyez reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Depends when he moves to the division. At present, I have no interest in seeing him at HW. He's clearly more suited where he is right now, given how dominant he's been in his last few fights. Hopefully that dominance will result in the general standard of the division rising to try and match him.
    I think as he gets older, and gets a little bit heavier and slower then a move would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Get up to heavyweight with your 7 foot reach and take on some top 15 HW's progressively as you put on the muscle... that's what I say.. any other decision is coppin out and takin the easier path...which he's absolutely entitled to.. I'll just think he's a pussy that's all : )

The lad walks around at 230...i.e. with some fat etc 12 months with the right diet n training and the lad would be 230 and lean and still have cardio for days.. I don't think he'd even lose speed... can ya imagine a big jones against an in-form Dos Santos for the belt 18 months from now?????? I'd wet meself...what an unbelievable fight... actually that has to happen or people need to die

"In the past, one of Rashad's main advantages over me was that he was more seasoned and a lot more stronger than I was. When I first joined the UFC, I never really cut weight, I came in extremely thin. Walking around at 213, 210. Now I walk around at almost 230 at times. I'm just a lot more mature in my body and physical strength. I think that's gonna be a huge difference for him and he's gonna feel it right away."

Get up to heavyweight with your 7 foot reach and take on some top 15 HW's progressively as you put on the muscle... that's what I say.. any other decision is coppin out and takin the easier path...which he's absolutely entitled to.. I'll just think he's a pussy that's all : )

I'm not sure doing what the Champions meant to do and defending your belt against all contenders in the division should ever be called the easier path. I really don't get why this happens with dominant champions. People are always obessesing with them fighting people outside their weight class. To me that seems like saying they should have to fight with a handicap or disadvantage to make it fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Yeah I actually agree but I still want him to go up though : ) mainly coz of how amazing it would be if he won the HW title and then bate every HW around the place spectacularly !!!

In America...first you get the LHW belt....then you get the HW belt....then you get the women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not sure doing what the Champions meant to do and defending your belt against all contenders in the division should ever be called the easier path. I really don't get why this happens with dominant champions. People are always obessesing with them fighting people outside their weight class. To me that seems like saying they should have to fight with a handicap or disadvantage to make it fairer.

You speak an amazing amount of sense here!

It also happens when a champion is by far the best guy in the division. Instead of all of the top fighters in the division being top fighters and the champ being so much better than them, there seems to be an attitude that the champion ends up being a good fighter and the rest being poor. When did that start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You speak an amazing amount of sense here!

It also happens when a champion is by far the best guy in the division. Instead of all of the top fighters in the division being top fighters and the champ being so much better than them, there seems to be an attitude that the champion ends up being a good fighter and the rest being poor. When did that start?

It started with Chuck at LHW from what I can remember.

Advertisement