Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silvercrest SL65

Options
  • 24-04-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Recently got the above box, without cables. I sourced my own scart lead and plugged in the aerial. I attached it to my Sony LCD HD ready TV, and my aerial, and it says I have around 78% signal. However when I put on a channel it wont show the channel.

Please please help me, it is so frustrating!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

So you've hooked it up to a functioning satellite dish, aligned on the correct satellite position?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fitzyunited

It's hooked up to the satellite dish that was installed for sky? Should that work? Also, this may sound so stupid, but do I have to point the dish in a certain direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

It needs to point the exact same way a Sky dish does. If it was used for Sky recently then it should be fine. If you have put up the dish yourself then that's a different problem.

Can you borrow a Sky box to test the dish?

If the dish is OK then you will need to select Astra 28.2 in the menu and scan for channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Instruction manual here if you need it (sounds like you might):-

http://www.comag-ag.de/software/silvercrest/cmg_SL65_man_EN.pdf

Sound I saw the manual on another post and I printed it off! Must have a good read later! The sky satellite is working perfectly. I checked that. Another dumb question coming!! What's the coaxial point on the box for!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

What's the coaxial point on the box for!!

If you mean the 2nd F connector it is "RF OUT LNB connection for a second satellite receiver" but that does not mean you can connect a second receiver and get all channels etc.

It's complicated but suffice to say 100% of people do not use this.

Page 35 if the manual is what you need to set up channels

What's the coaxial point on the box for!!

The output that's actually labeled 'coaxial' is an audio output for connection to an amplifier/sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The IF loop out is for an Analogue Satellite Receiver in Germany. I think this month (April 2012) the services end.

The RCA type jack socket is for 5.1 Digital. Very little free TV uses it and there is really no advantage for stereo.

"It's complicated but suffice to say 100% of people do not use this"

Actually, I'm planning to in my own set-up but that's one for another thread. 99.9% might be more accurate. :)

Pointless. There is ZERO value in using the pass-through IF and will only lead to confusion.
    Get a multiswitch and Quad/Quattro or whatever if you have used up all the connections on a Quad (or Octo).

• Advertisement

Ok the last message is really after throwing me! I'm stupid with technology! I'm 28 years old and only posted for the first time on this today!!! Apologies again!

The last message was directed at Saltee Dog.

Oops!!

@Watty. I agree that running an extra cable from the LNB would be neater/better. However, in this case both receivers will be on the same TV - one to decode the encrypted Fransat channels on 5W and one for the FTA channels on 5W and 28.2E (and also used as a PVR). If I could, I'd dispense with the Fransat receiver but unfortunately the Fransat card cannot work with a standard viaccess (or any other) cam. As for running an extra cable..that would involve digging up the existing one (it's buried) and I don't want to do that just yet.

Far better & more reliable to fit an external priority coax F-connector switch.

But you can add an extra cable by a different route. I used a buried pipe to bring cables to the house. When it got full I routed 2 extra cables via one wall and 4 extra cables by the other wall. None are obviously visible.

Thanks but I'm not quite sure what an "external priority F connector switch is" . Is it just a manual switch to allow one to select which connection is used? e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Coaxial-A-Switch/dp/B0002ZPIQ4/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

Edit...after a bit more googling

I reckon it's one of these. Lokks like it could be the job alright. Thanks.

yes. Probably put the Fransat box as Master? Or if one box is a PVR put it as master.

Advertisement