Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club, Week 16: Rhubarb Upside- Down Cake

Options
  • 24-04-2012 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay, folks!

My recipe is a rhubarb upside- down cake. It's yummy and moist. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

170g butter, softened
    95g brown sugar
    450g rhubarb, chopped up into one inch pieces, ends trimmed
    185g plain flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 eggs, separated
    200g granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    120ml milk

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ 160 degrees C (fan)/ gas mark 4.
    • Melt 60g of butter in oven proof frying pan, Swirl to coat the sides of the pan.
    • Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter and continue to cook for 1-2 mins until the sugar begins to melt, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
    • Arrange rhubarb in parallel rows across the sugar mixture.

• Combine sieved flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
    • In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 50g of the granulated sugar. and beat until stiff and peaks form when beaters are lifted.
    • In another bowl, beat the remaining butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time, then the vanilla extract and mix.
    • Beat in a bit of the flour mixture, then some milk, alternating until it's all blended.
    • Fold in the egg whites til just blended. Do not over- mix, as this will make it more dense and less light.
    • Pour the batter over the rhubarb mixture in the pan and bake for 40 mins, or until a skewer can be inserted into the middle and it comes out clean.
    • Leave it in the pan for about ten mins after you take it our of the oven. Run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen it up, then invert it onto a plate.

I had mine warm with custard, but it is moist enough to have by itself.
    A little tip is DON'T forget the pan handle will be SCALDING coming out of the oven. I took mine out with an oven glove, then went to move it without the glove and burnt the frickin' hand off myself!

Hope you enjoy :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I have some rhubarb growing so should be ready during the week for picking but I was wondering about what to cook this in.

I don't have a oven proof frying pan, would a loose bottom flan dish be ok or would the syrup seep out of this. I'm thinking it would seep but not sure what to use.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I tried this recipe over the weekend substituting cooking apples for the rhubarb and it was very tasty. I will definitely be making it again.

Advertisement