Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] - Polar, its a pity

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I have always loved Polar products, I had an S210 and an S625x.
    I've have always hated Garmin products. I have a 310xt and I've always hated the fact it did neither pace nor HR right and was always buggy.

So I took the plunge and get a Polar RX5, all the hype looked good and it arrived last Thursday. I started the proceedings to send it back tomorrow.

It works *exactly* as designed however it appears they got someone who didn't run or cycle to design and implement it.

No zone alarms, interval sessions restricted to four phases, no ability to set custom HR zones, its just sooo bad.

It does do HR nicely.

So if you were thinking that you were sick of Garmin not doing HR properly and wanted to try a Polar - don't. There has to be an outfit out there that have gotten it right but it aint Garmin or Polar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

On a plus side Bike24.net are a pleasure to deal with and I will definitely be using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I was looking around for a bike computer to use instead of the 310xt and yuo know what... the 310xt is pretty decent...

Zones, alarms, pre programmed workouts, configurable data fields etc.. most others do not have these. It has its flaws but overall its pretty decent.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I was looking around for a bike computer to use instead of the 310xt and yuo know what... the 310xt is pretty decent...

Zones, alarms, pre programmed workouts, configurable data fields etc.. most others do not have these. It has its flaws but overall its pretty decent.

A friend of mine got a pair of polar power pedals recently. Tells me a button needs to be held for 3 seconds to get them working. Not ideal in T1 and really does show that Polar have dropped the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Zones, alarms, pre programmed workouts, configurable screens all spot on with 910XT and Edge 800.

The instant pace on the 910 is still a bit buggy even after the last update, never had a problem with HR, still waiting on the update for TSS, NP, IF etc. The swim type detection can be a bit iffy, but I figure it's just my crap stroke as others have no problems.

Edge 800 and auto zero is handy with the powermeter, if I had to press a button (or remember to) for 3 seconds before every ride I'd end up losing a lot of power data.

d4r3n wrote: »
    Zones, alarms, pre programmed workouts, configurable screens all spot on with 910XT and Edge 800.

The instant pace on the 910 is still a bit buggy even after the last update, never had a problem with HR, still waiting on the update for TSS, NP, IF etc. The swim type detection can be a bit iffy, but I figure it's just my crap stroke as others have no problems.

Edge 800 and auto zero is handy with the powermeter, if I had to press a button (or remember to) for 3 seconds before every ride I'd end up losing a lot of power data.

Garmin HR is notoriously inaccurate though.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Garmin HR is notoriously inaccurate though.

Are you talking spikes/drop outs or steady state stuff? or both?

I've had no drop outs in however many years of using Garmin, have had the odd bit of HR drift that suddenly goes away maybe 2-3 times total, I think it was down to static and the running shirt I was wearing.

For steady state stuff it has always been accurate for me, and steady state power vs. HR has matched fairly closely with what was measured in lab testing before, not sure what HR straps they use in TCD though.

I could have just been a lucky one?

Are you talking spikes/drop outs or steady state stuff? or both?

I've had no drop outs in however many years of using Garmin, have had the odd bit of HR drift that suddenly goes away maybe 2-3 times total, I think it was down to static and the running shirt I was wearing.

For steady state stuff it has always been accurate for me, and steady state power vs. HR has matched fairly closely with what was measured in lab testing before, not sure what HR straps they use in TCD though.

I could have just been a lucky one?

Over the years I have tried two variants of the premium strap, one of which is not on general release yet. A hard plastic strap, and a polar strap with a garmin centre piece.

The last option is what I found was the best. 95% of the time the HR is right. the other 5% it is 5-10 bpm off.

The spikes and drop outs were *mostly* solved by the polar strap but they still flare in winter while running. (Layers == static)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

On a plus side Bike24.net are a pleasure to deal with and I will definitely be using them again.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

QUOTE]

I've had serious issues with my 910. Dropping sats on the bike and not picking them up again, turning off mid ride while on the garmin QR system, elevation is inaccurate and instant pacing as you eluded to. So I sent the unit back and they sent me out a new one....same problems and at least one new one, auto pause not working! :mad: Very very angry.

You've had no such issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Very happy with the Timex Global Trainer (except the IM branding!).

Pacing works well, can set custom HR zones. Not sure about the rest as most of the time I forget to wear it anyway.

$141 on the US amazon at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Tunney, I presume you have set up the unit sounds in the Training Computer setting from the Websync. When I run with a 'free' session there are no zone alarms, I can see the zone indicator & HR etc. Working within a training program the zone alarms work.

The watch is designed to work with the training programs which are tailored around your HR Max and resting HR as well as doing the fitness tests or manually inputting your VO2 Max. Once you set up the training program and follow it for a couple of sessions the Polar Personal Trainer will automatcially move intensity upor down based on results. I change the warm up and cool down intervals to be part of the program giving four working phases and you have up to x12 repeats of each interval if needed.

You can adjust your HR Max manually, I don't know if this affects the zones though, and I think you are looking more flexibility on this.

Its funny how expectations differ, I find it a great improvement on the training / motivation side of things as all my training is solo. Having used the Stride pod initially I now only use the GPS and bike sensors to track things.

I've had serious issues with my 910. Dropping sats on the bike and not picking them up again, turning off mid ride while on the garmin QR system, elevation is inaccurate and instant pacing as you eluded to. So I sent the unit back and they sent me out a new one....same problems and at least one new one, auto pause not working! :mad: Very very angry.

You've had no such issues?

No issues with dropping sats and not picking them up again, had it once with the Edge but never with the 910 and sats acquire very quickly (usually).

Elevation I've only had a problem with once when I went to Clare for the weekend and did my first run down there, I think it remembers where you were last so sats acquire very slowly when you change location by 100 km or so, I just got fed up waiting and just started running whereas I usually go into the GPS to let them acquire and only start when it's within 2-3 m accuracy, I could see GPS was off from where I started and figured that's why elevation for the first 1/2 km was a off, it steadied down once I got an accurate signal but weird considering it's a barometric altimeter.

Have had no issues since and when I go away I just leave the watch outside to let it get a proper signal before I go for a run, it was the same when I had a 405 though

Tunney, I presume you have set up the unit sounds in the Training Computer setting from the Websync. When I run with a 'free' session there are no zone alarms, I can see the zone indicator & HR etc. Working within a training program the zone alarms work.

Yes. Which gets me onto that god awful site.

I do the same session at least once a week. On my Garmin, and on my S625x, I can set it up and its there for ever. On the RX5 it has to be downloaded from the site EVERY TIME I want to use it.

"Working within a training program the zone alarms work" - again I don't want to be restricted by "ohhh did I remember to upload those sessions before I left". What if I go on holiday or something? Am I expected to have a laptop and web connection everywhere? I should be able to set sessions up on the watch.

Any HR settings you set on the watch are over written with the spastic ones that websync calculates based on HR max and other junk.

The watch is designed to work with the training programs which are tailored around your HR Max and resting HR as well as doing the fitness tests or manually inputting your VO2 Max. Once you set up the training program and follow it for a couple of sessions the Polar Personal Trainer will automatcially move intensity upor down based on results. I change the warm up and cool down intervals to be part of the program giving four working phases and you have up to x12 repeats of each interval if needed.

Thats nice - but say I have lap determined zones? How can i use them? I cannot.
    You can adjust your HR Max manually, I don't know if this affects the zones though, and I think you are looking more flexibility on this.
    To doesn't.

Its funny how expectations differ, I find it a great improvement on the training / motivation side of things as all my training is solo. Having used the Stride pod initially I now only use the GPS and bike sensors to track things.

All my training is solo. I find this a hugely retrograde step for them.

I'm interested on your take on their pedals as I've already heard enough to stop me getting them.

Have had no issues since and when I go away I just leave the watch outside to let it get a proper signal before I go for a run, it was the same when I had a 405 though

Then I would suspect your Garmins have been duds.

My 310xt was replaced FOC for this reason. It should not be necessary to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the thing is if a freak like tunney cant work it out
    99,8% of the people cant work it out . and thats an issue

Then I would suspect your Garmins have been duds.

My 310xt was replaced FOC for this reason. It should not be necessary to do this.

I just figured it was a Garmin quirk, when doing races etc I'd usually just let the watch pick up a signal at transition before I go into the water so when I get onto the bike the signal picks up instantly, or almost.
    I'm interested on your take on their pedals as I've already heard enough to stop me getting them.

The fact none of the top end Polar watches support power meters (RC800CX or RCX5) would put me off, you need to record the data on a CS500/CS600X while on the bike as far as I'm aware

I do the same session at least once a week. On my Garmin, and on my S625x, I can set it up and its there for ever. On the RX5 it has to be downloaded from the site EVERY TIME I want to use it.

Unless you set up as a recurring event.
    Any HR settings you set on the watch are over written with the spastic ones that websync calculates based on HR max and other junk.

Didn't realise this, yeah can see the frustration alright.
    All my training is solo. I find this a hugely retrograde step for them.

I disagree, though I've the advantage of a RS800 to fall back on for detailled training with no restrictions, if I want. I find the RCX5 is a good product for the multi-sport arena. It does fall short on items for advanced training and broadening the scope of training within a sport. I would like more functionality for swimming & the option of using GPS while swimming without creating a 'new' sport for example.

As a novice to the PM area I'll be a test for fitting & hookiing them up. (I found something re the alignment online, just something to be aware of as opposed to a major hitch). I've asked a couple of keen cyclists who have experience of the SRAMs to give them a whirl and I'll give you their feedback too.

I'd only go with the CS600x for these to get the full range of options from the pedals, incl the L/R balance around the full stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The way the barometric altimeter works on the 910, is that it'll try to establish regular readings for a few minutes, and if it's still picking up extreme changes in elevation, it'll switch off the barometric altimeter and go back to the GPS-calculated elevation figures. I've found it to be entirely unreliable.

The watch has never dropped satellites on me. It has however started with crazy satellite data twice since I got it (880 miles of running), but that's still two times too many for my liking.

When travelling to different parts of the world, the watch may need to re-download the latest almanac data, which describes the orbital courses of the satellites, which are visible in your current location. This can sometimes lead to a delay when you move to a different part of the world, but I haven't found this to be a problem with the 910 so far.

Quick question: I've been using my 910 on the bike occasionally, but on my wrist. If you get the bike-mount kit, do you need the quick release kit, or does the watch attach straight to the bike mount on its own?

Quick question: I've been using my 910 on the bike occasionally, but on my wrist. If you get the bike-mount kit, do you need the quick release kit, or does the watch attach straight to the bike mount on its own?

You might find an answer to this question here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516 :D

But just in case, you don't need the quick release. You can get the standard bike mount which cable ties to the bar and simply secure the watch using it's own strap. If you are racing the quick release will work for fast multi-sport transitions, or just wear it on your wrist fulltime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You might find an answer to this question here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516 :D

But just in case, you don't need the quick release. You can get the standard bike mount which cable ties to the bar and simply secure the watch using it's own strap. If you are racing the quick release will work for fast multi-sport transitions, or just wear it on your wrist fulltime.
    Thanks. I prefer to do my multi-sports one at a time, so I'm not quite ready for the quick release, if I don't have to use it. That thread is a crock of sh1te. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Cheers for the heads up on these guys Tunney - never heard of them up until 1 min ago.

hootini wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up on these guys Tunney - never heard of them up until 1 min ago.

Price wise for things like Turbo trainers they are second to none. Over 100 euro cheaper than the best in Ireland for a Tacx Flow......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Price wise for things like Turbo trainers they are second to none. Over 100 euro cheaper than the best in Ireland for a Tacx Flow......

+1
    Although another site that came up a bit cheaper recently for me on Tubes and Tires was www.bike-discount.de. Didn't price Polars / Garmins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks. I prefer to do my multi-sports one at a time, so I'm not quite ready for the quick release, if I don't have to use it. That thread is a crock of sh1te. :)

I've been using the standard bike mount (saves you having to cock your wrist), have the quick release on order due in a few days so i'll let you know and have a look hopefully if it's here by Thursday.

So I had to return the watch in a package to bike24.net.

They said they would refund postage for a fully insured package - that shouldn't cost more that 15 euro.

I explained "welcome to Ireland, not going to happen".

Their response - a prepaid DHL label that I can print, stick on the package and drop it off with any post office.

Respect were respect is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

I know the polar ye're talking about here can read hr when swimming, but just wondering, can the more basic ones e.g. The ft1? I know it's water proof, just like to know if it can be used for hr in pool.

Thanks.

I know the polar ye're talking about here can read hr when swimming, but just wondering, can the more basic ones e.g. The ft1? I know it's water proof, just like to know if it can be used for hr in pool.

Thanks.

All the Polar radio frequency straps should work in water. The WIND transmitters won't work as Bluetooth won't transmit in water.

The only thing to be aware of is Polar recommend using the T31 Coded strap for extensive pool or open water swimming as the contacts on the Wearlink transmitters can corrode in those salty environments.

I'm also pretty damn sure that no one in the TdF peleton uses an RX5...........

I'm also pretty damn sure that no one in the TdF peleton uses an RX5...........

they'll want to when they see the yellow one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement