Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing Shed D/A GB: Show Your Work

• 23-04-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Just so that the actual GB thread doesn't get cluttered, I've started this thread for everyone to show the results they've gotten.

Also, post on Detailing Republic :)

This evening I did the top of my rear bumper. It was annoying me since I got the car and had so many scratches from what I can only presume was a brush being dragged across it.

I was kind of fighting the weather too so what I've done here is more of a paint enhancement rather than a proper correction. There's a few scratches left and they're fairly deep so I want to get more experience before going at them so I don't burn through the lacquer.

Pics:

98161806.jpg

12916263.jpg

27543454.jpg

These results are after 3 passes (5 minutes each) with the cutting polish and medium cut pad followed by 2 passes using the finishing polish and the finishing (black one i.e. softest) pad.

I then followed this with 2 coats of black light which I got separately with my order and 2 coats of Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax for good measure.

The polishes and blacklight smell lovely but I also got Iron Cleanse and the only thing I can compare the smell to is that of those stink bombs in the glass vials. My god it's ROTTEN!!

NOTE: The pads work this way - BLACK - low-cut, WHITE - medium cut, ORANGE - high-cut

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Is there a need to use a wax on top of a sealant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not really, I just did it to get great beading :D

Also, I have more piece of mind knowing that the car has a coat of wax on it because the stuff I use after washing it is a booster wax. Not sure how much of a boost it can give to a sealant.

Any update on the pads?

Any update on the pads?

The last I heard was that they're still waiting on them. I sent a PM to one of them today but haven't gotten a reply yet.

4 weeks and not everything delivered. Nice - don't care if suppliers are the issue. You don't take people's money if you can't deliver.

I ordered from another Irish retailer and had my goods in 36 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I emailed detailing shed earlier asking about the pads also.

I was under the impression that they had received them an we would have them on the 24th or thereabouts, according to the closed group buy thread. If they are still waiting for them it they could let us know that.

Vexorg wrote: »
    I emailed detailing shed earlier asking about the pads also.

I was under the impression that they had received them an we would have them on the 24th or thereabouts, according to the closed group buy thread. If they are still waiting for them it they could let us know that.

We were told that they received them on the Friday and that we would have them on the Monday but it turned out that it was a different order that they got, not the one with the pads.

Thanks for that MM.

I feel that DetailingShed should have informed us of the delay, I was under the impression they had been sent out and was concerned that they had not arrived yet.

Thanks for that MM.

I feel that DetailingShed should have informed us of the delay, I was under the impression they had been sent out and was concerned that they had not arrived yet.

I think so now. A PM would have been useful from them. I know it's only a small piece of the order but it stops us being able to use it fully. To be honest I haven't used mine yet and won't until the order is complete just in case...

Did anyone awaiting the pads get the apology email from Chemical Guys, the tracking number of the shipment or any update?

• Advertisement

Did anyone awaiting the pads get the apology email from Chemical Guys, the tracking number of the shipment or any update?

We're all waiting for the pads :P

I got an email from CG's apologising and saying that the pads would be shipped (directly to our address as an apology) today. Also got an email from DS saying that we're getting a code for 15% discount as an apology on their behalf.

As far as I'm concerned, DS giving us this is really sound of them even though this who delay was not their fault.

How much work have you guys done so far? I just have the passenger side doors and front bumper left to do. The paint is like glass on the parts I have done :D

I got the mail from DetailingShed about the discount (fair play) but no mail from Chemical Guys.

I have about 90% of my roof done - first pass, think I need the small pads for the raised sections. Being very gentle while I get to know the D/A.

A few pics of mine in is "finished" state. There's still a bit more work I want to do but for now it's 100% better than it was and will do until I can summon the will to get out the DA again :D

The paint is as smooth as glass in all areas compared to what it was like - fairly rough, hard to apply and buff wax, hard to dry and now water even beads on the doors which makes it easier to wash.

95149610.jpg

87336250.jpg

79137442.jpg

82316041.jpg

78691458.jpg

23068769.jpg

97319471.jpg

90599964.jpg

62090203.jpg

MM, looks great.

Did you polish the front and rear light clusters? I'm curious about polishing these.

MM, looks great.

Did you polish the front and rear light clusters? I'm curious about polishing these.

Thanks, it would want to look good considering the amount of time and energy I've put into it :D

No, I didn't touch the lights because I have Meguiar's PlastX for them. It's specifically designed for plastic and I can't wait to use it.

I'm sure you could use the V36 and V38 on them though. I did it with my last car and used Meguiar's polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Great work MM - some serious shine there!
    Its great when you step back and see the mirror finish. And as you said, its not just for the look. Everything is so much easier to do when its polished smooth and protected....washing and drying is soooo much easier!

Yes, head lights* and tail lights can be polished using your machine and polish. Its important not to use an aggressive cut option...even if it takes you a few passes, use a reasonably light cut option on pads and polish.

Headlights*: some modern cars have a film protecting the headlights, please check this out before proceeding. Do not polish these type of headlights.

Curran wrote: »
    Great work MM - some serious shine there!
    Its great when you step back and see the mirror finish. And as you said, its not just for the look. Everything is so much easier to do when its polished smooth and protected....washing and drying is soooo much easier!

Yes, head lights* and tail lights can be polished using your machine and polish. Its important not to use an aggressive cut option...even if it takes you a few passes, use a reasonably light cut option on pads and polish.

Headlights*: some modern cars have a film protecting the headlights, please check this out before proceeding. Do not polish these type of headlights.

Thanks! Meguiars do a headlight restoration kit which I !think! has stuff that you aplly after polishing which is a protective film. I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I've never seen that kit, so not exactly sure of what it does.

It's enough to protect your lights with the wax / sealant that you use on the body work ;)

Curran wrote: »
    I've never seen that kit, so not exactly sure of what it does.

It's enough to protect your lights with the wax / sealant that you use on the body work ;)

True but I'd like to get all the scratches out of my headlights too! They're nearly as bad as the paintwork was :o

Using brushes on cars should be outlawed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The remainder of the pads arrived today

• Advertisement

The remainder of the pads arrived today

Don't forget to reply to that email and get the 15% discount code from DS ;)

An Post parcel delivery just arrived, but no pads. Probably arrive Monday.

Advertisement