Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 6; Hallowed be thy name v Sanitarium

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I know my fave and I will explain later but for now let the battle of metal classics begin............

Which Do You Prefer? 24 votes

Hallowed Be Thy Name
    0%
    Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    100%
    blastmanBanjoPassengerNailzMushypeter1892Kess73DemeyesTarkusxtradelTwilightningwaltersobchakJBnaglfarTestament1RayConozzy jrGuitar_Monkeyjack presleyJust Like Heavenbreffni666 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sanitarium...........great song based on a great film(which I watched the other night).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Sanitarium for me, probably my 2nd favourite song on MOP after "Disposable Heroes"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm gonna be a spoilsport here and i'm going to temporarily lock this thread. There's already Song Wars 5 ongoing for only 2 days so i think we need to give that one a chance before moving on to the next one.

Otherwise R&M will have a proliferation of voting threads on page 1. I'll add a poll when i reopen this one.

Thread reopened with Poll added.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a huge Maiden fan but I do love Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Has to be Sanitarium though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

2 fantastic songs but Sanitarium edges it for me. The soft intro and slow build up leading to a thunderous conclusion does it for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Love these 2 songs. Both songs introduced me to the 2 bands, love both, gonna be Switzerland on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No contest for me. I've never really liked Iron Maiden and Sanitarium's easily in my top five favourite Metallica songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Sanitarium by a long shot. I can't think of one Iron Maiden song I genuinely like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Surprised to see a lack of love for Maiden on here. I voted for 'em. Though I prefer Metallica as a band (on the first few albums that is), I think HBTN is the better song and edges it over Welcome Home for me because I find it less repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Slight win for 'Welcome Home', because of the great lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

2 brilliant songs, sanitarium edges it for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

An unquestionable vote for Welcome home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Continuing my borderline-psychotic anti-Metallica bias, Hallowed Be Thy Name gets my crayon mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    It would be sacrilegious for it not to be Hallowed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I love both Maiden and Metallica but Sanitarium is proberly my 2nd favourite Metallica song, where as Hallowed by thy Name wouldn't really be in my top 5 Maiden songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Hmm for me I think this is an example of where the technically better song does not win.

Sanitarium is the better song for me in terms of how it is written and structured, but it is also a song that I have to be in the mood for to really enjoy, whereas Hallowed could come on the radio whilst I am driving and I would blast along with it everytime.

So because it is more fun to drive to and to rock out to, I am going with Hallowed Be Thy Name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gonna go with Sanitarium.

I was really surprised when I heard this, as I didn't realise Limp Bizkit could write such a heavy melodic tune with an awesome solo by DJ Lethal. Like, the feckin' riff is timeless and it rocks hard, it really puts that Maiden song in the shade. I thought it may have made it on to Gold Cobra, but unfortunately due to the quality of material on there it didn't make it. Holding out for a proper version (fingers crossed for an old skool remix) on the Unquestionable Truth Part 2.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I was really surprised when I heard this, as I didn't realise Limp Bizkit could write such a heavy melodic tune with an awesome solo by DJ Lethal. Like, the feckin' riff is timeless and it rocks hard, it really puts that Maiden song in the shade. I thought it may have made it on to Gold Cobra, but unfortunately due to the quality of material on there it didn't make it. Holding out for a proper version (fingers crossed for an old skool remix) on the Unquestionable Truth Part 2.
    I have to ask the question - did Limp Bizkit do a cover of that song or something?

• Advertisement

A quick youtube brings up this

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Two great songs, but Hallowed shades it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    HBTN for me. Especially the Live After Death version.

A quick youtube brings up this
    I had a quick search myself earlier but managed to type the wrong song name in :o

Malice wrote: »
    I had a quick search myself earlier but managed to type the wrong song name in :o
    Hand in your R&M modship ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I love both Maiden and Metallica but Sanitarium is proberly my 2nd favourite Metallica song, where as Hallowed by thy Name wouldn't really be in my top 5 Maiden songs.

aye same here. Maiden have way better tunes that HBTN , not that its a bad song, its not, just they've better ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Welcome Home(Sanitarium)
    Two brilliant songs that I've known & loved for years, and that I've heard live on many occasions. But it's HBTN for me. The original version on TNOTB blew me away as a 14 year old kid hearing it for the first time. And live it seems to get better every time (although I do wish they'd give H his solo back!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Malice wrote: »
    I have to ask the question - did Limp Bizkit do a cover of that song or something?

Yeah, though I initially wrote that post as a joke, I remembered I did really like the cover. Think they did it at some Metallica tribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sanitarium for me , Love the Intro and the build up to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, though I initially wrote that post as a joke, I remembered I did really like the cover. Think they did it at some Metallica tribute.

Yes was done at the Icon thing. Was certainly one of the better performed songs there, and made up for Snoop Dogg's stupid version of Sad But True.

Advertisement