Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting Teeth Whitening - Need Advice

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'd be mulling over the idea of getting my teeth whitened for the past few months.

However, I have a few concerns about getting it done.

Firstly, I don't want to eat up like Ross in Friends with blinding white teeth ha.

Also, Can this process damage your teeth in the long term?

I heard of a method where one wears a gum-shield for an hour a day for two weeks. It supposed to be better in the long term.

I'm interested in this method as I'd be a bit embarrassed to land into work one with obvious white teeth.

What is the safest method? What clinics in Dublin would be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

cgarrad wrote: »

Can you explain further?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

laser whitening works for about 4 days, and thats about it, trays are better but these fade unless you keep up with the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Can you explain further?

It all depends on the technique and materials used op. Bad agents used correctly will be useless, good materials used incorrectly will be the same....

The kor system gives good predictable results as it involves 2 in chair whitening sessions with a 2 week nightly use of bleach in the trays. The kor materials are delivered to the surgery in a refrigerated box (other materials have probably been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for months going off...) this ensures that the materials are adequate strength.

If going to the expense of kor, make sure that the clinic uses the full kor technique and branded materials...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I've been using a whitener not sure if I can name it but it's 7.99 for ten uses in chemists - it's in a syringe type thingy and comes out a greeny colour - it feels slightly abrasive but it's working brilliantly I use it every 2- 3 days and my teeth are really getting whiter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

deelite wrote: »
    I've been using a whitener not sure if I can name it but it's 7.99 for ten uses in chemists - it's in a syringe type thingy and comes out a greeny colour - it feels slightly abrasive but it's working brilliantly I use it every 2- 3 days and my teeth are really getting whiter.

Do you buy this on ebay like the link above?

How often do you plan to use this for?

Also, are there any supposed side effects of using this?

I read that certain treatment can cause erosion of the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Do you buy this on ebay like the link above?

How often do you plan to use this for?

Also, are there any supposed side effects of using this?

I read that certain treatment can cause erosion of the teeth.

No I buy it in a chemist in person - well The intention is to use it regularly before special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My experience of tooth whiteneing by my local dentist...

Like the OP I didn't want to go to the Hollywood/Simon Cowell extreme. My dentist showed me the dental equivalent of a colour chart, various pictures of teeth from brown through yellow through to snow white. He pointed out a yellow shade and told me that was the current colour of my teeth (I smoked for the best part of 30 years, off them now for several years) and he showed my another shade and said that that was what he would aim to achieve.

So the point here is that by getting your dentist to devise the plan, you have a defined starting point and an objective.

He made a cast of my upper and lower teeth and a couple of weeks later he showed me the casts, the equivalent of bite guards but which would be used to hold the whitener against my teeth overnight. I had a little syringe device to put a drop of the whitener in each tooth space in the cast, I then put it in my mouth overnight. I could only taste the chemical when I took the guard out in the morning so obviously I quickly rinsed out before breakfast.

He didn't do any major cleaning, nothing out of the ordinary anyway, of my teeth in his surgery because I look after my teeth pretty well - the tobacco yellow was the issue, not the general condition of my teeth.

Can't remember how many nights were involved but when I was finished I went back to the dentist and when he held a mirror to my teeth and showed me the colour chart, we had achieved the agreed shade of whiteness which I felt was appropriate for someone my age so the exercise was a complete success. Cost if I recall was of the order of €300-400.

Advertisement