Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Extension 5sqm

Options
  • 23-04-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

We are planning on extending our kitchen / dining area by building over our patio and squaring off the rear of our house.

Currently the rear of the house is an L shape, the kitchen is built out from the house within the L shape and has a sloped roof, see attached picture.

The extension will continue the sloped roof over the patio area and the supporting pillar in the house will be replaced by a steel beam so that the kitchen / dining area is open plan, see attached picture.

Overall it is a small area 2.4m x 2.2m (approx 5sqm) and relatively straightforward build with the following requirements: -
    • Valted ceiling with 2 velux windows and spots
    • Remove supporting pillar and replace with steel beam approx 5m
    • Rad in extension
    • Mains in extension
    • New kitchen (this will be supplied and fitted by a 3rd party)
    • Kitchen services remain as-is (sink, dishwasher, hob, extractor, fridge although the oven may move a couple of metres left)
    • Move gas boiler from kitchen into block shed in the garden, the shed currently has electricity, water and waste.
    • Tile kitchen, dining area and hall floor
    • Build finished to turn key standard
    Ideally I would prefer to go with a reputable builder to obtain a certificate of compliance, guarantee, insurance etc. In addition to this I would also be open to getting architect drawings done as I hear they may be required if we decide to sell our house at a later date.

I would appreciate if anyone can provide advice on the above build, approx cost and recommend any builders.

Thanks, stigpepper
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 StigPepper

Apologies the pictures were a bit too big please find new ones attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

That's a very narrow space for what you are trying to achieve.
    From the picture it appears your neighbours facia and soffitt extends over the boundary, this may not be the case just the angle of the photo, so to achieve a vaulted roof its very narrow, to get the angles, right.

The removal of the wall, reguires some structural input, so take advice there also.

All in all, i would consult a professional before undertaking this job, its not that its difficult, just complicated by the narrowness, and the neighbours extention.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hope your on good terms with your neighbours;) and that at time of their build they had the sense to install a proper foundation, as if you intend to use that wall your eng will be scratching his head...

BryanF wrote: »
    hope your on good terms with your neighbours;) and that at time of their build they had the sense to install a proper foundation, as if you intend to use that wall your eng will be scratching his head...

BryanF , looks like its in an estate, so the extention next door would be part of the original build, cant comment on the foundations, but I see this a lot.
    Conservatory roof would use a Box Gutter on the neighbours ext. but that narrow, doubt if that would work, here, why do people design houses with such a useless space?

Hi,

Here is a bit more information.

The extension next door is part of the original build, however, I don't intend on building onto our neighbours wall. We will build a supporting wall against theirs and connect to the neighbours facia and soffitt which extends over the boundary.

I have been speaking to a few builders and they have said it is a straightforward build. They have also said that they would get an engineer to sign-off on the supporting steel beam which will replace the internal supporting pillar.

My question would be roughly how much would it cost to build to the spec outlined in my first post.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

bump

StigPepper wrote: »
    Hi,

We are planning on extending our kitchen / dining area by building over our patio and squaring off the rear of our house.

Currently the rear of the house is an L shape, the kitchen is built out from the house within the L shape and has a sloped roof, see attached picture.

The extension will continue the sloped roof over the patio area and the supporting pillar in the house will be replaced by a steel beam so that the kitchen / dining area is open plan, see attached picture.

Overall it is a small area 2.4m x 2.2m (approx 5sqm) and relatively straightforward build with the following requirements: -
    • Valted ceiling with 2 velux windows and spots

I would appreciate if anyone can provide advice on the above build, approx cost and recommend any builders.

Thanks, stigpepper

Contrary statments, you can't have a vaulted ceiling in a lean to roof, doubt if velux are a good idea, too low a pitch.

So start again, link your roof to that of your neighbour on the left of the picture, same as to your neighbour on the right, taking away, both facia's soffits etc, subject to permissions etc, and an engineer specifying the new roof.

Advertisement