Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year Subject Choices

Options
  • 23-04-2012 7:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7

We had to hand in our subject choices before Easter, Im going to do English, Irish, Maths, French, Biology, Chemistry and History. Im not too sure what I want to do yet but im edging towards a science course! im not sure about not doing a business subject though. Im think about taking on Business by myself and just studying it at home? has anyone done that before? will it be too much of a work load? do you need a teacher for business? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Business is probably the easiest subject to learn and do well in by yourself. It's just theory and as long as you keep on top of it through the next two years it shouldn't be too difficult to do well in.

However, if you're doing 7 higher level subjects already I wouldn't advise taking on an extra subject as the workload would be extremely intense. But in the end it's up to you and if you think that you could cope with it then I hope you do well! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

As deathbythelc said Business is the easiest subject to study at home I know I cant talk cause I do it in school but there is no project and the only problem would be is learning off the exam terminology e.g when asked to evaluate you must state your point, give example and then give your opinion.

Other than that it should be fine... but be wary as it is by far the hardest subject to get an A1 in roughly 1 in 120 get one whereas in accounting its 1 in 10 so if its an A1 you're looking for think twice.

The subject does feel very repetitive after a while as it feels almost the same sort of layout to each topic...like for instance you need to know the advantages and disadvantages for 'nearly' everything so it is a really broad theoretical subject but all the while very doable at home :)

Hope this Helped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Unless you're willing to put in a massive amount of work then don't do it. You might say "oh I'll do loads of work throughout 5th and 6th year" but if you're like most students, you won't stick to it. Bear in mind that although you have a good few less subjects for leaving cert as you had for junior cert, the workload is twice as intense and pressurising, you already have biology and history, which are two massive learning subjects, as is business. Chemistry is difficult to understand and even when you do there's still quite a bit of learning.

I would advise against taking up an extra subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I do 8 subjects, most in my year do and I havent found it too stressful tbh.
    I dont do business or anything but I wouldnt advise taking on a subject comoletely by yourself, that could end badly :/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 Clo1995

Thank you for all your help! I think i'll try focus on the 7 subjects and get the points i need out of them esp considering history and honours maths and irish are ment to be a lot of work. The fact that only 1 out of 120 get an A1 i dont think it would be worth the trouble!

• Advertisement
Advertisement