Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i messed up.... options

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Just posting this on behalf of my friend he asked me to post here (he down the country on the dial up)

He is 25, and was doing a Higher Cert Business Studies course with the option to go to 3rd year for diploma then 4th for degree.

He got very sick and had to drop out in 3rd year (diploma year) at xmas. He was getting the grant and told them in Dec he has left. He deregistered himself due to the illness.

Fast forward to today and he is nearly better. But now he is VERY VERY depressed. He thinks he has messed up his life. He wasnt very happy with the business course (would rather computer science) and regretted not doing this, but he is regretting even more so that he left college (although due to the illness this was the only option).

What can he do with a Higher Cert Business? He wont qualify for the grant if he goes back to 3rd year... can he even do this? Or should he try to do computer science in 2013 as its too late now. Although he doesn't have any money.

what can he do with a Higher Cert in Business? I think its level 6.

thanks

I feel sorry for the guy because he is very depressed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I'd sooner take up a different course and come out of college a few years later than work in a field that I am not passionate about for the rest of my life.

I first went to college ten (oh jaysus I didn't realise it was that long ago!) years ago studying biology. Worked in a lab for the summer after first year and realised it wasn't really what I wanted for a career. Left college and went working for a few years. Returned to college in 2009 studying Software Development. Best decision I ever made. As a side note: of the seven surviving students in 3rd year five of us are mature students!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i am the same. i did childcare straight out of secondary. thought it was just right for me, but then whooops i started to REALLY hate it.

i píssed around a few years, did a city and guilds in comp aps (cos i was always handy with a comp, but never had a qualification to say as much) but was quite scared to try what i really wanted. 'what if i failed again' kinda thing.

but i finally took the jump. culinary arts as a mature student all the way. i'll be nearly thirty by the time i graduate, but better to do something you love than be stuck in something you hate

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lighter1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just posting this on behalf of my friend he asked me to post here (he down the country on the dial up)

He is 25, and was doing a Higher Cert Business Studies course with the option to go to 3rd year for diploma then 4th for degree.

He got very sick and had to drop out in 3rd year (diploma year) at xmas. He was getting the grant and told them in Dec he has left. He deregistered himself due to the illness.

Fast forward to today and he is nearly better. But now he is VERY VERY depressed. He thinks he has messed up his life. He wasnt very happy with the business course (would rather computer science) and regretted not doing this, but he is regretting even more so that he left college (although due to the illness this was the only option).

What can he do with a Higher Cert Business? He wont qualify for the grant if he goes back to 3rd year... can he even do this? Or should he try to do computer science in 2013 as its too late now. Although he doesn't have any money.

what can he do with a Higher Cert in Business? I think its level 6.

thanks

I feel sorry for the guy because he is very depressed.

Could he finish 3rd year and then transfer onto a business/computer science degree maybe?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement