Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Battlefield

Options
  • 23-04-2012 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got Battlefield 3 yesterday for PS3, never played it before but had some money left on voucher and wanted to use it up.

So whats the whole idea of the game, i know its more for online play than anything.. what do I need to do to get into things??

Wouldn't be a full time-y player as I'm only accessing my PS3 at weekends(working away from home)

What are the essentials to start with? Should i just mess about before logging online and get used to it, weapons missions etc??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If you aren't used to FPS, then a quick run through the campaign would be worthwhile - I've never played it but at least you could get to grips with shooting.

For online, just jump in. Even if you aren't the best player, you can still help your team by playing the objectives, repairing tanks, reviving and throwing out med and ammo packs.

You will inevitably get better, just don't be put off by how often you die at the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 whitescopes

ok the point of the game is a first person vie of a soldier fighting in battles and getting flags and objectives............ps i will help u if u help me how do i start a new thread like wheres the button i can find it?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ok the point of the game is a first person vie of a soldier fighting in battles and getting flags and objectives............ps i will help u if u help me how do i start a new thread like wheres the button i can find it?????????????

Go to the main page where you see all the threads, and there's a new thread up in the top left corner section of the page.

Ok FPS...sounds good, am handyish at Resi, i know they're not like for like but at least have some idea of FPS!!!!

Will that help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Resi is 3rd person :P for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 whitescopes

hay man thanks but i cant find it could u post a pic of something it just not there??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭pepsi45

do i have to be a subscriber to make a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

pepsi45 wrote: »
    do i have to be a subscriber to make a thread

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheFunker

brinty wrote: »
    Ok FPS...sounds good, am handyish at Resi, i know they're not like for like but at least have some idea of FPS!!!!

Will that help!!

As PhlegmyMoses said. Best to play the single player first. The single player is enjoyable and will also get you used to the FPS controls of the game. Besides you play games at the weekend mainly. So you can stop and start at your own pace to enjoy the game.

But, from the sounds of it you dont play FPS shooters and more importantly play FPS shooters online. When a person first plays them online it feels like you are dying every two seconds and its not enjoyable. It can be frustrating. So if you ever want to dive in online just realise you'll suck at the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Even if you master the campaign you will find it very hard on multiplayer until you get to know the maps also.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the updates, think i'll give the single player mode a go at the weekend and see how it goes and try and learn some maps etc.. before jumping online(which i have heard can be very addictive..)

Also does anyone find a difference between the normal game and the limited edition one. When i was in buying i asked for the LE but when i get home fiound the girl in the shop had given me the normal one grrrrrrr...so just wondering is it worth going back and exchanging at the weekend..hasn't been played yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i just bought the PC version there few weeks back, despite having experience in earlier BF games and playing FPS most of the time its a very daunting experience when you go online in this.

You will die... lots

my k/d ratio was down around .2 or something but over the last week or 2 i got it up to .5 or .6 which although not great is still an improvment! The more you play the more bits and gear you unlock making your guns better overall and allowing you to able to find the right set up for you.

and single player will let you test the guns and general experience but it won't prepare you fully for multiplayer.

But stick with it! its very worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Find empty servers to get to grips with the vehicles,especially the jets and choppers.

Avoid 1v1's and try to flank,its much easier to kill someone or a group from behind or the side.

Aim for neck up where possible.

When moving through a map stick to the walls instead of running down the open road.

Aim down the sights (ADS) while going around a corner and before moving check your corners twice. Same goes for when your walking along a building with a few entrances,ADS until you get past the opening.

Glance at your mini map every now and then,you may see enemy positions.

You'll still die but maybe not so much,and when you learn the maps you'll get better.

I play on PC but the fundamentals are the same.
    I went from a .95 K/D ratio on BFBC2 at about 60hours (used to play on ps3) to a 1.5 in BF3 @ 191 hours by changing the way I play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Thanks all for the updates, think i'll give the single player mode a go at the weekend and see how it goes and try and learn some maps etc.. before jumping online(which i have heard can be very addictive..)

Also does anyone find a difference between the normal game and the limited edition one. When i was in buying i asked for the LE but when i get home fiound the girl in the shop had given me the normal one grrrrrrr...so just wondering is it worth going back and exchanging at the weekend..hasn't been played yet..

If you asked for and paid for the limited edition, yes bring it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

L.E edition still comes with back to karkand doesn't it?

If so your missing out on your free dlc

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    L.E edition still comes with back to karkand doesn't it?

If so your missing out on your free dlc

Thanks Dan, thats what I meant by should i go back for the LE...was it worth it or just use the normal one.

The price was the same regardless.

And yes back to karkland was on the LE edition so some DLC, happy days

Got to say first impressions are awesome...

My wife was looking on and said graphics were unreal, happy days...she wanted to know would she become a battlefield widow!!!

Spent about 2 hours trying to play, probably only 10 minutes would've been needed if i knew what to do, but thats the fun of it...Wife got in on telling me where to go and what to pick up etc..I think she wants to get into it too....:)

Anyways i'll keep trying and maybe in a week or two i'll be online!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Keep at it, its great fun once you get going!

Got to say first impressions are awesome...

My wife was looking on and said graphics were unreal, happy days...she wanted to know would she become a battlefield widow!!!
    Spent about 2 hours trying to play, probably only 10 minutes would've been needed if i knew what to do, but thats the fun of it...Wife got in on telling me where to go and what to pick up etc..I think she wants to get into it too....:)

Anyways i'll keep trying and maybe in a week or two i'll be online!!

yes

my advice is download (legally of course) something like The Vampire Diaries. each episode is over 40 mins long, each season has 24 episodes and there are 3 or 4 seasons now.

With her occupied she won't mind that much if you are gone for hours at a time.

I'm trying to get my GF into supernatural now... I have 6 seasons of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

shoot the other team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If my 10 year old son can play the game I figure you should be ok as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Don't be afraid to swap between squads when you join a game too, join one thats doing well and learn from them.

Make good use of the gadgets too, throwing down a med/ammo pack, reviving etc can help your team more than going rambo and of course gets you loads of lovely points too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Zico-PES

Hi all,
    Just bought BF3 this week. This game is massive, the learnig curve is steep. Its daunting. Took me 2 games to get a kill :eek:
    Just played Conquest so far, did ok on some of the smaller maps but got lost on the big ones. Find it hard to see the enemy, they always spot me first.
    Any useful tips greatly appreciated.

Practice!

sadly thats really all you can do. That and remember its not COD so you don't run in all guns blazing.

It will take a while to get used to the maps and again its only overcome by playing (there is still some i get completly lost on for a few seconds).

As for seeing the enemy again its knowing the likely routes someone uses (metro for example always has a majority of people using the tunnels and side doors)

experiment with the guns too, it takes a while to unlock better sights and things like that but when you do you'll notice things aren't as bad.

Oh and did i mention practice?

danniemcq wrote: »
    Practice!

sadly thats really all you can do. That and remember its not COD so you don't run in all guns blazing.

It will take a while to get used to the maps and again its only overcome by playing (there is still some i get completly lost on for a few seconds).

As for seeing the enemy again its knowing the likely routes someone uses (metro for example always has a majority of people using the tunnels and side doors)

experiment with the guns too, it takes a while to unlock better sights and things like that but when you do you'll notice things aren't as bad.

Oh and did i mention practice?

Practice, that shouldnt be a problem :)
    I'll have to dedicate some full evenings to this, I suppose you cant really dip in and out like other FPS. Could really do with a red dot sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Zico-PES wrote: »
    Practice, that shouldnt be a problem :)
    I'll have to dedicate some full evenings to this, I suppose you cant really dip in and out like other FPS. Could really do with a red dot sight.

If you join craggy island server and there ts ull learn a lot faster there's plenty of good players there that will help you out

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlefield-3-tactics-tips-guides/182884-bf3-scopes-visual-comparison.html

is a very nice post that shows the different sights. Have a look then in your battle stats or whatever the equivilant is if you are on a console and see how many kills you need for it for whatever gun you go for.

With double XP this weekend you won't unlock sights quicker but you will unlock guns quicker

If you join craggy island server and there ts ull learn a lot faster there's plenty of good players there that will help you out

you will be slaughtered (like i was) but some of the stuff i've learned from people telling me or hearing stuff on TS was a massive help to me

you will be slaughtered (like i was) but some of the stuff i've learned from people telling me or hearing stuff on TS was a massive help to me

Ha ha, deer in the headlights springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlefield-3-tactics-tips-guides/182884-bf3-scopes-visual-comparison.html

is a very nice post that shows the different sights. Have a look then in your battle stats or whatever the equivilant is if you are on a console and see how many kills you need for it for whatever gun you go for.

With double XP this weekend you won't unlock sights quicker but you will unlock guns quicker

Good link BTW

Advertisement