Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow but steady progress...

Options
  • 23-04-2012 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

So I kicked off my 'serious' Japanese language studies just under a week and a half ago.

I've so far got a few phrases done. Mainly greetings. I've also gotten 46 hiragana memorized and can count to 20.

Not bad for a week and a bit I think. I'm really enjoying it so far. Its really satisfying to now be able to look at Japanese text and be able to read it (well, some of it, minus the kanji and some katakana!). I don't have a breeze what all the tsu's, te's, ma's and wo's etc mean when strung together, but I take pride in knowing what each one is. I've gotten a dictionary too so have started looking a few words up, just to see what they are.

If mods dont mind i'll use this thread to update from time to time. Hopefully I'm making good progress... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

I'd be happy to see your progress, and will complain if you don't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Please do! It will take the attention away from my current lack of progress! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thanks! :)

I'm working on the remainder of the hiragana set now, aiming to get them all done in another week if I can.

I spent a little time last night with a dictionary picking out a few words and was really pleased I could read some of them without any prompts! I then typed the characters phonetically in to google translate to see if what I typed was right, and it was! :)

I think its what is spurring me on so far, the enjoyment of being able to decipher some words and getting them right.

I have a BBC Japanese book/CD set to get basic phrases so in going to really hammer that soon, just so I have something to use while in Japan as its no use knowing a bunch of Hiragana and not knowing what to do with it!

I'm visiting Japan in July so in hoping if I can carry on at this pace, I will have something to take with me to converse, albeit incredibly basic of course.

I'll be happy with:

"Hello Mak shop assistant! Hand me that Ketsui PCB good knave! I want to buy it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

For a week and a half that's wicked! It's so satisfying when you test yourself and you've remembered some new grammar/character/vocab/etc, feel the enjoyment!

And you also have the trip to look forward to and give ya motivation, awesome!

Thanks @just-joe, it's definitely coming along. I bought a big kit of books and flash cards to take with me to work. So I look at those on the train or during lunch and basically any spare moment I get. It's definitely starting to (slowly) stick. One handy tip if you have a Windows Phone, there is a really good Hiragana & Katana app available on it for free. It keeps a record of your answers and offers up statistics to check your progress. I forget the name right now but it's very good. I have another couple of paid apps on my iPad 3 that work really well. One for Katakana, the other for Hiragana. Dr. Moroboshi or something like that I think it's called. Very good mnemonics apps anyway!

One other really good tip for iPad/iPhone users is the iTunes U app. There's a lot of really good Japanese language courses available on it for free. Might as well give it a go, it's free so well worth the shot!

http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/

• Advertisement

I recommend the free dictionary app 'Kotoba', and the pricey 'Midori'.

Kotoba is a great one, with a crap load of example sentences.

However, Midori has this and the ability to enter an unknown kanji via the touch screen. the only snag is that it must be in the correct stroke order. It's easy enough to get with trial and error though.

And Pyongyang, if you aren't using anki yet, do, as soon as possible! It's a great flashcard system, and saves you carrying around hundreds of cards. The program is free for PC and Mac, but the app costs a bit. Worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

ひらがな and カタカナ are very doable in two weeks.

If you have _any_ difficulty remembering them, I highly recommnd "Remembering the Kana" by Heisig (€10 from Amazon).

Anki (PC) and AnkiDroid (Android) are both free and highly recommended (for everying, not just learning languages) -- http://ankisrs.net/

(I'm not sure what version funky penguin is referring to. Does the iPhone version cost money?)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 raz789

Farcear wrote: »

If you have _any_ difficulty remembering them, I highly recommnd "Remembering the Kana" by Heisig (€10 from Amazon).

Anki (PC) and AnkiDroid (Android) are both free and highly recommended (for everying, not just learning languages) -- http://ankisrs.net/

(I'm not sure what version funky penguin is referring to. Does the iPhone version cost money?)

His guide for Hiragana is really well written, though the Katakana part is lacking.
    I recommend still buying Heisig's book just make sure you follow the Katakana part with your own stories as only a few of them are good.
    Also google "Tagaini Jisho" very good dictionary to have on your computer!

Farcear wrote: »

:eek: android is free?!

Yeah the iPhone app costs money.... :(

Andoid eats Apple for breakfast. :)

Free apps, open source, don't need to pay for those ivory back scratchers, etc.

(Although that is probably a discussion for another thread).

• Advertisement

hah! I don't disagree, iPhone has the name but Android is a little smarter. I had an android phone a year ago and it wasn't a great experience mainly becuase of the phone.....So I got an iPhone over here to see what the fuss is about (to be honest, I love it! :P )

Actually on that subject....I'd recommend anyone who comes to Japan for any length of stay make sure they have a smart phone that can access maps. I have no idea what foreigners did all those moons ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Yeah Japanese streets don't have names, gps is a lifesaver.

I have probably written on other threads, not sure, but I don't think you need books or anything to learn hiragana or katakana. Just write them out 50 times each. Then try to write them again every day as a set. And then start reading them without romaji and you'll make the change to being able to read them. flashcards or some flashcard app will obviously work well though as it tests instant recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Obenkyo (Android) is another good app. I use the vocabulary section all the time. The vocab is split into JLPT 5/4/3/2/1/other and each word is written in kanji plus the romanji. Tapping on the word brings you to the seperate characters and from there you can see stroke order, other words that kanji is used in etc.

It also has an awesome test section. I use it whenever I can't get to sleep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Good luck and keep up the good work!!

私のせんこは日本語です!日本語はむずかしくてやさしいです!

Thanks everyone for your support!

I had to put the study aside for a week or so due to other commitments, however in surprised how much I remember when returning to hiragana.

I bought lots of books recently, and flash cards. Today I bought Remembering The Kanji vol 1. Looking forward to getting stuck in to that one.

Also a colleague at work has Japanese relatives, they have a friend living in Ireland who might be able to do Japanese lessons with me so that is a nice lead I hope to be able to follow up on!

Kanji is some different beast though isn't it?!

What books did you get?

Advertisement