Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on sending lambs to the factory

Options
  • 23-04-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

As we live close to a mart, we have always sent our fat lambs to the mart. But recently, this mart is gone extremely poor for sheep (I was in there this morning, and there was only 6 lots) :(
    So I am looking at sending them to the factory instead...

I haven't ever done this before - so I have a few Q maybe you guys could help with. ;)

Spring lambs usually kill out around 50% - is this right?
    I am wondering what weight I should send lambs away at really - I am guessing 41kg, but could lambs kill over the 50%
    So should I be looking to send em away from 38kg - 39kg on :confused:

I don't want to be giving meat away for free, but at the same time, don't want to come under the 20kg deadweight either...

What about hoggets, whats the usual kill-out %

How does it work as regards grading, there is a grade of EUROP I think
    Whats the bonus for E vs P? How does it work? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

We have lambs after a texile ram and they tend to kill out a little less than 50%, usually about 42kgs an we send em off to the factory, tend to come in at full price and just slightly over the 20kg. So yea you wil always have to sacrifice free meat to get top price, or that's my experiences neway! although i am interested in other peoples views on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galway 4 sam

good question John. I was actually going to put up a post very similiar myself. I was wondering when you are sending lambs to the factories do you have to pre book them in and turn up on a certain day or what? Do they kill on certain days and you have to bring them in on these days. In relation to kill out i thought they would kill out a wee bit higher than 50%. Actually thought it would be closer to 60%. I think aim for approx 43-44Kg max live weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Hi John.

I bring Lambs to the factory sometimes during the summer months as it is quicker than taking a day off work to go to the Mart. Other times I do take a day off to go to the mart as it can be very rewarding and it is why we are at farming .

anyway I generally would ring on a Monday Morning to get a quote on price and to book them in for that day or the next morning. I would only be bringing around 10 at a time so there is generally no issue from the factory.

Generally 50% is a pretty accurate. I would sell at 41-42 so as to get the full price.

Why not weight a few a bring them to factory and take your leanings from that. Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

50% would be max for the majority of farmers and they would usually want to be getting meal to achieve this

well covered grass fed lambs will kill out from 45% to 50%

underfleshed grass fed lambs will kill out 40% to 45%

Advertisement